Code of Conduct

Question Similar to Old Spice but stronger?

My wife has often commented on how much she likes Old Spice on me. The problem I have with it is that it is too weak and short-lived. Is there a fragrance which is similar, but stronger and longer lasting?

Default Re: Similar to Old Spice but stronger?

Rive Gauche PH
    Cheap, but it's not a sillage monster to me.
    I wonder if RG has suffered a reformulation, or either it makes me anosmic very quickly.

Also try Rive Gauche PH Intense.

PS by Paul Sebastian may be exactly what you seek.

It's not a dead on match to Old Spice, but I have it and find it has the exact same "vibe." It's close. And it is very strong. I bought it as a response to the same query you're making.

Can be found very reasonably too. Read the reviews on it in the Directory.

YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme is a great scent in its own right and has a "barbershop" feel to it. But it's a more modern take than PS.

Giorgio Red for men
    -

I've heard that Creed Ambre Cannelle is somewhat similar, though I've never tried it myself...

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    PS by Paul Sebastian may be exactly what you seek.

It's not a dead on match to Old Spice, but I have it and find it has the exact same "vibe." It's close. And it is very strong. I bought it as a response to the same query you're making.

Can be found very reasonably too. Read the reviews on it in the Directory.

YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme is a great scent in its own right and has a "barbershop" feel to it. But it's a more modern take than PS.
    Thanks StylinLA. I bought the PS about a month ago, but never made the connection. To me it's more like Lagerfeld Classic mixed with Fred Hayman Touch. Its similarity to old Spice is probably why I love the PS so much (it's quite rare in Australia and I was lucky to score a tester bottle for about $10). I will have to check out the Rive Gauche. I think I tried it at the very start of my fragrance collecting days, but can't remember too much about it.

Paul Sebastian PS for sure. It's not much more expensive, either.

Then again, I'm really not a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Giorgio Red for men
    Ah. Another one I already have and love! Like with the PS suggested by StylinLA - I never picked a similarity between this and Old Spice. It's interesting how different people perceive similarities between fragrances. I really like the Artemisia in Giorgio Red. I will have to test them side by side to compare. Thanks for your input.

Well, I'm not the definitive nose, scent-e-mental, but PS is the closest I've found. Rive Gauche is certainly worth checking out. But it's not that close to Old Spice imo. But it's a great scent for sure and long lasting.

creed bois du portugal reminds me of an expensive oldspice, doesnt exactly smell like it but reminds me of it, in a good way...also try santa maria novella acqua di cuba
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Reminding me of the old version of Old Spice are: YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme and also Divine L' Homme Sage.

Casaque by Vermeil

Old Spice + good quality Sandalwood essential oil + cinnamon essential oil + muks essential oil + iso e super = Old spice with improved sillage and longevity, warrantied

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

PS by Paul Sebastian may be exactly what you seek....
    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I've heard that Creed Ambre Cannelle is somewhat similar...
    Agreed.

The common, and prominent note they share with Old Spice is a non-gourmand cinnamon.

PS would be the more accessible (and much cheaper) alternative. Definitely longer lasting and stronger, sillage-wise.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

There is nothing like original Old Spice, I donīt know if you use the aftershave, but if you do, try EdT instead - its longevity is much better...and Jacomo de Jacomo is slightly reminiscent of it because of strong clove note

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Old Spice + good quality Sandalwood essential oil + cinnamon essential oil + muks essential oil + iso e super = Old spice with improved sillage and longevity, warrantied
    Interesting suggestion. I have a few essential oils, but cinnamon (or more specifically cassia) irritates my skin. I bought some but had to return it (perhaps I was using too much in the mixes Iwas making).

Well, I'm not the definitive nose, scent-e-mental, but PS is the closest I've found. Rive Gauche is certainly worth checking out. But it's not that close to Old Spice imo. But it's a great scent for sure and long lasting.
    You know what, I must be getting senile (though I'm only in my early 40's). I reviewed PS on fragrantica and actually noted its similarity with Old Spice. Duh. Though to me PS is more floral. I guess I am looking for something without the floral edge. I like PS more than Old Spice, but that is mainly because of its strength and lasting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
    There is nothing like original Old Spice, I donīt know if you use the aftershave, but if you do, try EdT instead - its longevity is much better...and Jacomo de Jacomo is slightly reminiscent of it because of strong clove note
    Thanks Morning Star! I have never seen an EDT of Old Spice. I assumed it was not even made. Iwill have to try to find it, though I probably will have to source it internationally as I'm pretty sure it is unavailable in Australia. Your comment on cloves is interesting: I have 100ml of clove e o. Maybe I should do some experimenting!

M. de Morabito may be worth a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-e-mental View Post
    Thanks Morning Star! I have never seen an EDT of Old Spice. I assumed it was not even made. Iwill have to try to find it, though I probably will have to source it internationally as I'm pretty sure it is unavailable in Australia. Your comment on cloves is interesting: I have 100ml of clove e o. Maybe I should do some experimenting!
    Here in Europe we can easily get it - http://parfemy.heureka.cz/old-spice-...50-ml/galerie/ and it remains very popular, so I hope it can be available in Australia also
    For me the clove is a dominant note in both OS and Jacomo, thats why I found them slightly similar to each other...
    Talking about Paul Sebastian, I found no similarity with OS - PS in my opinion is close to Brut mixed with Lagerfeld Classic
    Last edited by Morning Star; 21st August 2010 at 11:21 AM.

I bought an EDT bottle of Old Spice Whitewater on Ebay last night. I am interested to know what if any similarity there is with Original.

Thanks Morning Star. I will pursue an EDT online (my wife usually rolls her eyes when I show her a new fragrance I have bought, but she officially sanctioned a search for Old Spice). The challenge will be to find a page in English.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-e-mental View Post
    I bought an EDT bottle of Old Spice Whitewater on Ebay last night. I am interested to know what if any similarity there is with Original....
    No similarity with the original. Whitewater is very fresh, with a very slight eucalyptus/menthol vibe. Amazing sillage and longevity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Royall Spice and Clubman Special Reserve are both similar to Old Spice. All three last pretty well on me.

I would also try Jaipur Homme by Boucheron.....This is fantastic.....If Your Wife likes Old Spice.....She'll Love Jaipur Homme!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by swanky View Post
    Royall Spice and Clubman Special Reserve are both similar to Old Spice. All three last pretty well on me.
    Thanks swanky, I'll have to keep an eye out for those on ebay. Living in Western Australia (in the most isolated capital city in the world) means that we don't get a big range of fragrances here.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I would also try Jaipur Homme by Boucheron.....This is fantastic.....If Your Wife likes Old Spice.....She'll Love Jaipur Homme!!!
    Gary
    Thanks Gary, I will have to write that one down. I will have to make a "to try list".

Well, I manage to find an EDT of Old Spice and it is on its way to me - from England ( I paid too much for it, but I really want to try it). I tried Rive Gauche today and am undecided on it. I find PS more impressive, though I am only basing this on one spray to my forearm. After 4 hours the Rive Gauche is all but gone. Thanks for all your help guys!
    jim

Also, a very belated example, some woody-aromatic powerhouse fragrances like Zino Davidoff, Guerlain Heritage, Santos de Cartier or Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme with extremely good lasting power and projection might do the trick, less in terms of barbershop feel (since the aforementioned have few, close to no barbershop notes), but far more pronounced in terms of very distinct incense-like, slightly boozy-vanillic notes are at least worth testing, since they might do the trick

I do not see the simularties between PS (Paul Sebastion) and Old Spice. PS is much more refine / floral it very much reminds me of Opium for women.

Also Red for men does not even come close to Old Spice.

You may notice I am not a fan of OS -

I got my edt of Old Spice today. I will try it out tomorrow, I can tell that it is stronger than the edc, but whether or not it lasts a lot better is the question.

Envy by Gucci is considered similar to Old Spice by many.