Code of Conduct

Default Yes, we have no bananas!

Hey guys:

I was looking at the basenotes directory, and noticed that a banana note is not something easily found in cologne. I would say that Quasar is my one and only, but that stuff is rather bizarre what with all the other weird stuff (newspaper print) in the blend.
    How about a nice refreshing tropical scent, with maybe some fresh banana, pineapple, coconut. Something that doesn't make you smell like a drunk MILF on a Monday morning.

Default Re: Yes, we have no bananas!

Acier Aluminum
    - smells like overcooked "Bananas in cognac caramel", mixed with old aftershave, Grandma's house, and an astronaut toilet.

Some of the last seet stages of VIW give an impression of overly sweet tropical fruit, which can somewhat remind of Banana, but not specifically. Same with Ananas fizz, where the sweetness and tropicalness gives an overall impression similar. Even some of the gourmands give impressions of "Banana Bread", Frapin 1270 sort of reminds me of that.

Banned

Humiecki & Graef - Eau Radieuse

Mint infused banana juice!

Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Banane has a strong banana note.

Felanilla from Parfumerie Generale has a little banana thing going through it , sounds wrong but it works so well

Well, I smell bananas in EL's Beyond Paradise for Men, but very faintly so, sadly, EL's BP for women is packed with it and it's the type of "fake bubblegum banana" to add insult to injury.

My brother swears that Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla smells like old smelly bananas. I tried to imagine that when I sniffed and sort of got the sense of what he was talking about.

If you're open to the sort of smell you get from green starchy bananas, then something like a dry powdery green frag could work. first things that comes to mind is Chanel 19.

For that Pineapple note, my best suggestions are Joop! nightflight and Riverside Drive
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Bananas are one of those fruits I like to eat but not smell. Does that make any sense?
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Bananas are one of those fruits I like to eat but not smell. Does that make any sense?
    About as much sense as saying burning matches is one of those scents I like to smell, but not wear.

[QUOTE=Master-Classter;1911321]My brother swears that Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla smells like old smelly bananas. I tried to imagine that when I sniffed and sort of got the sense of what he was talking about.

I smelled Tobacco Vanilla. I don't know if I get smelly bananas. Like one reviewer said, more of a marshmellow s'more smell.

Basenotes Plus

Ladyboy by Gorilla Perfumes at Lush (formerly B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful) has a really lush 'foam banana' accord, it's warm, ambery and delicious. I can't sing it's praises highly enough.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

[QUOTE=BradW;1911378]
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    My brother swears that Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla smells like old smelly bananas. I tried to imagine that when I sniffed and sort of got the sense of what he was talking about.

I smelled Tobacco Vanilla. I don't know if I get smelly bananas. Like one reviewer said, more of a marshmellow s'more smell.
    +1. I don't get any bananas there either.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    About as much sense as saying burning matches is one of those scents I like to smell, but not wear.
    Touché!!!

Calvin Klien Escape has wonderful top notes which reminds me of ripe bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I agree 100% with you. To me, a banana note would smell rotted unless it was well composed and perhaps creamy. I think in general bananas have that some what rotten/garbage smell to them. Unless you pick them right off the tree yourself, unripe, and even then as they ripen they carry that odor. Probably the quickest fruit to go bad, and although delicious and nutritious .. not something I particularly want in a fragrance.

[QUOTE=BradW;1911378]
    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    [QUOTE=castorpollux;1911388]
    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    +1. I don't get any bananas there either.
    Think about a really ripe banana, you know that sort of really sweet note with a little bit of funky muskyness? that.

Don't get me wrong, I think it smells like, well sort of like a vanilla, and then there's some tobacco in there, so... ;-)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Mr. Dullah's got it with Acier Aluminum, though I'm not sure about the astronaut toilet note he cites. You have to admit though, astronaut toilet. . . it's a great name for a fragrance note. . . I think I'd associate that more with Bleu de Chanel than Acier Aluminum.

Blog Entries

My brain sometimes converts ylang-ylang into a slightly rotten banana smell.

I guess when I see these threads I'm always thrown to those Demeter frags which seem very spot on and one dimensional (and usually short lived).

I think Acier Aluminum has a banana blast at the open, but it doesn't seem to hang on long. VIW which I'm wearing today doesn't really smell like bananas, but it certainly has somewhat of the vibe you may be seeking. Kinda tropical; Pina Colada. It's growing on me. Especially now that we got some summer heat her in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I was going to say exactly this. The odor profile of ylang-ylang definitely has banana notes in it, so you could look for ylang heavy scents.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Acier Aluminum
    - smells like overcooked "Bananas in cognac caramel", mixed with old aftershave, Grandma's house, and an astronaut toilet.
    A Creed rep I was talking to tried to get me to put on some Acier Aluminum and the moment I said "bananas" he just laughed and agreed.

Dior Higher smells pretty much like straight up fresh banana to my nose.

J. Del Pozo - Quasar
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I was going to say exactly this. The odor profile of ylang-ylang definitely has banana notes in it, so you could look for ylang heavy scents.
    Maybe I just need to pull my head out my ylang-ylang and try one of those frags!

I'd recommend more specifics but I don't really know any. Reflection Man has a ylang note but there's no trace of banana. You could ask on the women's board - although any of those featuring banana may very well be too feminine to pull off comfortably.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Oh yes me too.

Hermessence Vanille Galante by Hermes does this, and comes off smelling like a plastic/banana sort of smell. Banana scented condoms?

Jean Patou Sira des Indes definetely has a banana note. You can find banana leaves in EnJoy, also from Patou.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Perfume Boy View Post
    Ladyboy by Gorilla Perfumes at Lush (formerly B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful) has a really lush 'foam banana' accord, it's warm, ambery and delicious. I can't sing it's praises highly enough.
    I just read about the newly launched (relaunched?) Gorilla scents, and this one sound very intriguing. Foam banana you say? Gotta try it!

I don't think bananas have smell, unless they are really ripe. But who would want to perform an infusion technique on a blackened, ripened, rotting piece of fruit ?
    -

I almost forgot about my bottle of Escada Sentiment. I haven't smelled this one in quite awhile. It contains jackfruit, which is sometimes described as a tart banana. Like Quasar, probably not for everyone.

astronaut toilet... still laughing!

Acier smells very much like bananas
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

You might want to check out Eau Radieuse by Humiecki & Graef.

Here's the notes list from Luckyscent: green banana skin, fresh mandarin peel, fresh Italian lemon, fresh mint leaves, rhubarb juice, bamboo sap

Seems most people that have tried it love it, although the banana skin note seems to be in the background.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._Radieuse.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Another vote for Felanilla.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman