• Cuir de Russie by Godet

0 0%
  • Cuir de Russie by 4711

2 2.74%
  • Russian Leather by Davlin

1 1.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default "Cuir de Russie"

Let's see what's the leather of choice here on basenotes.
    Have I included everything? most likely not so help me out here...

cheers!

note: i didn't include Koelnish Juchten, but if you feel it belongs here discuss!
    Last edited by castorpollux; 20th August 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Cuir de Russie"

Sorry, but is this supposed to be a poll?? I don't see anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    it is a poll, maybe something went wrong?

Its working here. To be honest, I'm not obliged to vote because I haven't smelled all of them. Guerlain Cuir the Russie is very hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Let's see what's the leather
    Have I included everything? most likely not so help me out here...
    [/I]
    The name "russie" doesn't say to much about the direction of the leather "note". You missed Knize Ten? An other would be Tom Of Finland - not to far from Russia anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Santa Maria Novella? That's the one I'd vote for.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even know there was a Guerlain Cuir de Russie. A quick search pulled up an ebay auction for some, but somehow I don't think 50 year old juice would do the scent justice...

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the one I know, like, and own. Got to fly the colors even if I haven't visited the other territories.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    The name "russie" doesn't say to much about the direction of the leather "note". You missed Knize Ten? An other would be Tom Of Finland - not to far from Russia anyhow.
    I tend to think of "russian leather" as a fragrance that has notes of juniper, birch, leather, some coal and healthy dose of animal notes.
    English leather being a "cleaner", crisper, with more citrus version and Spanish leather being more flowery,softer scent. All of them i find different.

Knize Ten is a rather difficult scent to categorize in the leathers, because it has been reformulated countless times, i now find it to be a soft flowery leather fragrance, not the typical "russian leather" type.

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I didn't even know there was a Guerlain Cuir de Russie. A quick search pulled up an ebay auction for some, but somehow I don't think 50 year old juice would do the scent justice...
    I have found many CdR scents that have managed to stay relatively balanced over time, the notes found in those scents in general do not turn bad even with the animal notes...the most difficult to mantain are the natural floral notes when found in scents of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I tend to think of "russian leather" as a fragrance that has notes of juniper, birch, leather, some coal and healthy dose of animal notes.
    English leather being a "cleaner", crisper, with more citrus version and Spanish leather being more flowery,softer scent. All of them i find different.

Knize Ten is a rather difficult scent to categorize in the leathers, because it has been reformulated countless times, i now find it to be a soft flowery leather fragrance, not the typical "russian leather" type.
    O/k, may be. But what about Tom Of Finland? You shouldn't restrict the field to "Cuir De Russie". A third besides Knize Ten that I know and is worth to consider is Helmut Lang Cuiron. I had it for years before getting bored at last.

But it's all the way on Yours, have fun!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    OK. I don't know what happened earlier but it seems to work fine now.

I must put my votes on 2 of my absolute favorites, not just among Russian leathers but across genres: Cuir de Russie from Chanel & Creed. On my skin the Chanel is a haughty iris powdered suede while the Creed turns into a suave birch leather with a dangerous edge.

Tough poll. So many rarities on there. I'm not qualified to participate. But I am really interested in sniffing the Chanel and Creed options.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, tough poll! I've only tried three of these: Chanel, Creed, and LT Piver. All three very good.

(I voted for all three!)

Post Thanks / Like

Farina Gegenuber makes a Russisch Leder (1967) that is in transit my way -- blind buy.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121408.html

Of the above list, I've only tried the Chanel.

Post Thanks / Like

Never smelled Guerlain Cuir de Russie. Can't find it anywhere either. I do love Cuir Beluga, however.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite of those is the modern Chanel EdT. Oddly enough, I really don't like the vintage stuff, but the modern is a pleasant summer leather to be sure.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though I enjoy many leather scents, most 'Russian' or 'Russie' leathers are not my cup of tea.

Still...I have not smelled vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I voted for the one I know, like, and own. Got to fly the colors even if I haven't visited the other territories.
    Same here. The Chanel is some kick-ass class. One drop of vintage parfum on my watch lasted for about a week, and made the stainless steel wear like gold.

Chanel. In parfum extrait.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Post Thanks / Like

love me some leather, but not familiar with most of these.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Chanel. In parfum extrait.
    I agree. I have to ration my bottle though - too good (read: too expensive) to use as often as I'd like.
    Rather more free in my use of the EDT. Still wonderful stuff, but lacks the deep, animalic richness of the parfum.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I see two other members beside myself selected Guerlain's Cuir de Russie as their top pick.
    As this scent is so scarce, and discussion on it practically zero, I would love to hear more about your experience with this Guerlain gem (come out, come out whoever you are)!!

I also blogged about it today. (Click on the link).

Post Thanks / Like

My absolute favourite is unfortunately not on the list. Itīs: Cuir De Russie from Huguette Delille. I bought it at a parisienne flea market. It is an extrait in a classical square flacon. Itīs vintage, possibly from the 30īs or 40īīs, ( in an a very elaborate box with opening "doors" and the bottle stands on a little stage. Itīs my favourite because of the perfect balance between the wonderful floral notes and the leather. A very close second would be Chanel Cuir de Russie, (extrait).
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Farina's Russische Leder is of great interest to me. I emailed them about it a few months ago, and they replied saying that they would re-issue it this year some time. I look forward to it.

Hello everyone, I have worn vintage Cuir de Russie extraits for many years Chanel (E. Beaux), LT Piver and some of the smaller french compagnies. I would have to say pre-1950 Guerlain is my favourite. As of now I only have about half an ounce of EDT left and am saddened by the fact that purchasing any more will be next to impossible. The price of these vintage fragrances make them so cost prohibitive that you would think that Guerlain would see this and replicate them with the birch tar intact for the foreign market. Never mind the Baccarat quadrilobe flacon, that is almost worthless these days compared to it's contents. Just watch ebay when Cuir de Russie or Rue de la paix turns up. The value of gold pales by comparison. These fragrances are too wonderful to be reformulated and bastardized. Just make them as they were. I will take the health risk, gladly. bye.

Post Thanks / Like

Great that it's a multiple poll, for I surely had more than one favorite to vote for, thanks for sharing such a complete list with us

Cuir de Russie by Chanel is my pick.

The Guerlain "Cuir de Russie" is very smokey, the leather notes are almost overwhelmed by this. I like Guerlain's CDR for that reason. LT Piver and the ORIGINAL E. Beaux Chanel are very sweet with little wood or smoke pong. Though smokey, the Guerlain CDR still has a very leathery sweetness. Tom Ford's "Tuscany Leather" has no sweetness to it and replicates someone who has'nt bathed for two months quite accurately. I sent the Ford bottle back to Neiman's quickly and aired out my clothes. As for the modern Chanel CDR, I understand that this is the CDR that is most available to the consumer, but bears no resemblance to the original. Like all contemporary Chanel fragrances it is obnoxious and reeks of butane. So do most of Guerlains current wonders. Sad, that the compagnies that made us think of the French luxury trade now manufacture liquids that are not fit to fill my zippo.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite is Chanel Cuir de Russie, particularly in parfum which is a deeper, heavier, more animalic leather compared to the edt. Vintage is more smoky/tarry, while the current formulation is kind of saltier/sweatier. Vintage edt smells a lot like Chanel No 5 topped with birch tar, while the current edt is more like an out-doorsy, floral barnyard leather. I think I prefer current parfum and vintage edt, but I change my mind depending on mood.

Guerlain's Cuir de Russie is very smoky, practically a bonfire... Too much for me!