Code of Conduct

Thread: Cuir de russie

Default Cuir de russie

Has CUIR DE RUSSIE been completely discontinued?

Default Re: Cuir de russie

As far as I know you can get it in the Chanel boutiques still and it is part of the les exclusifs line too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    As far as I know you can get it in the Chanel boutiques still and it is part of the les exclusifs line too
    What he said. I just sniffed it at the Chanel boutique in Saks in NY (which carries the exclusifs).
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Sorry, I meant Creed's CUIR DE RUSSIE.

I did try the Creed Cuir de Russie once or twice. It was interesting, but I don't think it would hold my interest like Tabarome. I certainly wouldn't pony up outrageous money for it. If they offered it out like the Windsor 50ml atomizers, perhaps.

One of the knocks I've seen is that it's longevity was somewhat lacking.

But it was to leather scents what Tabarome is to tobacco scents. Very old school.

Whenever I see a thread mention Creed's Cuir de Russie, I get a bit annoyed. Back in my pre-Basenotes days as a fledgling fume head, I tried both Tabarome and Cuir de Russie when both were available in 8.4 oz flacons for $230. The perfume SA was so disparaging and near insulting about them, I was too daunted to consider a purchase of either. I'm sure they pushed me into whatever "scent du jour" was.

Shame on me. That doesn't happen any more.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 27th July 2010 at 12:30 AM.

Yes CdR is available as a les excluifs
    but my only beef is that the exclusifs have an EDC concentration

I personally would pay the extra money to get the Parfum version of it
    although you get a much smaller bottle then the jug-o-juice that is the exclusif you get more bang for your buck
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Blog Entries

A very good buy in a leather scent IMO is Cuir de Lancome. Give it a try. The price is right and it has the N_Tesla seal of approval, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Yes CdR is available as a les excluifs
    but my only beef is that the exclusifs have an EDC concentration

I personally would pay the extra money to get the Parfum version of it
    although you get a much smaller bottle then the jug-o-juice that is the exclusif you get more bang for your buck
    I don't think you're talking about CREED Cuir de Russie. That sounds like Chanel. I've not known of Creed offering any "exclusifs."

Sorry my bad, jumped to conclusions
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

You don't need to pay that much for a flacon if you look at my sales post on Basenotes

I personally don't like leather fragrances, so I do not care much for it
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Creed CDR is sadly discontinued. It is my "holy grail" frag (I have 5 flacons stashed away!!).
    It presents a smokey, oily, birch tar laden leather note bound within a bright and sparkling lemon/bergamot platform.
    Bright citrus and smokey leather come off, to me, as an unlikely pairing. I think geraniol and linalool are the key ingredients that really bring these accords into unity.

If you plan to fork out the bread for this frag, you are better off checking out Hasupk's sales thread. He was offering it for much less than the eBay seller listed above.

Edit: looks like Hasupk already posted :-D

You said 5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Creed CDR is sadly discontinued. It is my "holy grail" frag (I have 5 flacons stashed away!!).
    :-D

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    You said 5 ?
    He was evidently thinking ahead. Wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I did try the Creed Cuir de Russie once or twice. It was interesting, but I don't think it would hold my interest like Tabarome. I certainly wouldn't pony up outrageous money for it. If they offered it out like the Windsor 50ml atomizers, perhaps.

One of the knocks I've seen is that it's longevity was somewhat lacking.

But it was to leather scents what Tabarome is to tobacco scents. Very old school.

Whenever I see a thread mention Creed's Cuir de Russie, I get a bit annoyed. Back in my pre-Basenotes days as a fledgling fume head, I tried both Tabarome and Cuir de Russie when both were available in 8.4 oz flacons for $230. The perfume SA was so disparaging and near insulting about them, I was too daunted to consider a purchase of either. I'm sure they pushed me into whatever "scent du jour" was.

Shame on me. That doesn't happen any more.
    I remember sampling cdr, the citrus dominated the leather so much it really was not a leather frag to me. Thank god for rel and tl.

It presents a smokey, oily, birch tar laden leather note bound within a bright and sparkling lemon/bergamot platform.
    Bright citrus and smokey leather come off, to me, as an unlikely pairing. I think geraniol and linalool are the key ingredients that really bring these accords into unity.

If you plan to fork out the bread for this frag, you are better off checking out Hasupk's sales thread. He was offering it for much less than the eBay seller listed above.

Edit: looks like Hasupk already posted :-D
    5 flacons? Damn that's a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    5 flacons? Damn that's a lot.
    Mostly for archival purposes -I hardly ever wear the frag myself anymore and have tried searching out a comparable. I started gathering flacons when the supplies were drying up.

Supposedly, Creed relaunches their 'exclusives' every decade...we have yet to see...

Last edited by pluran; 30th August 2010 at 10:11 PM.

The Perfumed Court is offering a 250ml flacon for $699.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Creed CDR suffered very badly from reformulation. The older stock was much smokier and more birch-tar heavy. The last batch they made was, to be honest, a bit lame - hence the discontinuation, I think. It dissapeared off the market for a while in about 05 or 06 and then came back reformulated much for the worse.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Plus

Better or worse is more a matter of personal preference. I prefer a lighter hand when it comes to something as edgy as birch tar over citrus and I find Creed's Cuir de Russie ticking the right boxes - distinctively old school vibe with a modern masculine edge. It lasts 6 hours on my skin and twice longer on fabric so I really don't have any issues in those areas. But it could be a batch problem, which is something that seems to affect Creeds more than other niches.

Hey Manuel, sell me a decant or two will ya?

Mostly for archival purposes -I hardly ever wear the frag myself anymore and have tried searching out a comparable. I started gathering flacons when the supplies were drying up.

Supposedly, Creed relaunches their 'exclusives' every decade...we have yet to see...

What does this mean in application?

I meant that I collected the bottles to put away for future decanting, in case the frag was forever discontinued; not like the greedy hoarders that try to get rich off of a bottle of Gucci Nobile, or Havana (before the relaunch).
    I figured that there would at least be a source for those who wanted to sample it for the sake of reference. But I guess we already have The Perfumed Court for that...

Ahh! Thanks.
    I used to live in Whittier when attending LACC back in the 1980's!

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Ahh! Thanks.
    I used to live in Whittier when attending LACC back in the 1980's!
    Whittier used to be a very lively town. Lately it's become a ghost town.
    They allowed historic homes to be torn down and replaced with high density apartments. Ralph's supermarket owns a large vacant lot in the middle of Uptown that they refuse to sell for fear of a competing market. Instead they leave a horrible blight in the center of town.
    The city is so caught up in red tape, it just continues to fall apart as it tries to sort itself out of its own web.

But I digress
    Last edited by Manuel; 7th August 2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Creed CDR suffered very badly from reformulation. The older stock was much smokier and more birch-tar heavy. The last batch they made was, to be honest, a bit lame - hence the discontinuation, I think. It dissapeared off the market for a while in about 05 or 06 and then came back reformulated much for the worse.
    I don't think I smelled the last batch. The only stock I have smelled is the one which imparts a lot of high quality birch in the heart notes, with a top notch lemon on top and a sandalwood/ambergris base. Longevity is capped at 5-6 hours so I think thats one issue people have with it. The other is that it scares some people, as is evident with some reviews on blogs. To me it always smelled fantastic and unique. Ye will be missed.

I could never get into Chanels CdR EDT...its a bit too dame like/floral for me even though the isobutyl-note is finely integrated.
    -

I think this stuff is pretty special. It's off-puttingly odd, yet very attractively ugly. There's a real skunk in it, but the whole package just works very well and makes a great and very gentlemanly smell. I could easily see it as a signature scent with power suits.

I've got some from six or eight years ago, and I barely wear it. When I've worn it it seems like it's got no longevity for me the wearer, or at least that it stays very close to the skin, but on one very memorable occasion when I was wearing it I'd applied it early in the day and then late at night got a hug from a friend's wife. Suddenly she gushed about how great I smelled, even though I had long since lost the smell in my nose. I've remembered that, and I think, sadly, that the weirdness somehow tunes our nose-brains to stay away from the power of this one.

I am referring the the Creed product too. It's amazing. There's the citrus sure, but more there's the smoke and birch, and the dry leather that's a crude unfinished leather. Leather that's old and worked and not cared for. Leather that isn't tanned really, and is out in the sun. Really weird great stuff.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I don't think I smelled the last batch. The only stock I have smelled is the one which imparts a lot of high quality birch in the heart notes, with a top notch lemon on top and a sandalwood/ambergris base. Longevity is capped at 5-6 hours so I think thats one issue people have with it. The other is that it scares some people, as is evident with some reviews on blogs. To me it always smelled fantastic and unique. Ye will be missed.

I could never get into Chanels CdR EDT...its a bit too dame like/floral for me even though the isobutyl-note is finely integrated.
    It still smells good but lost that edge - it used to have a great balance between softness and a harder edge. The later batch seems more of the gentlmans cologne and less of the acerbic nasty-but-nice. The birch is definitely attenuated and it smells softer.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

In case anyone is interested in trying CDR, I tracked down a seller that is offering a 75 ml tester:
    http://shop.pageland.com/Item.cfm?St...4&Search=creed

I've purchased through these folks before and they're a reliable company (no affiliation).

That's a pretty good deal.

In case anyone is interested in trying CDR, I tracked down a seller that is offering a 75 ml tester:
    http://shop.pageland.com/Item.cfm?St...4&Search=creed

I've purchased through these folks before and they're a reliable company (no affiliation).

Whittier used to be a very lively town. Lately it's become a ghost town.
    They allowed historic homes to be torn down and replaced with high density apartments. Ralph's supermarket owns a large vacant lot in the middle of Uptown that they refuse to sell for fear of a competing market. Instead they leave a horrible blight in the center of town.
    The city is so caught up in red tape, it just continues to fall apart as it tries to sort itself out of its own web.

But I digress

PM me Manuel if you'd be willing to sell one of the CUIR DE RUSSIE flacons.
    Neal