Code of Conduct

Default The Return of the Djedi?

Does anyone out there know if Guerlain has any intentions of re-releasing this masterpiece? I have a small sample, which I believe is the 1996 version, and it is so darn amazing. Think of Vol de Nuit extrait on a base of Vetiver, with a nice dose of sandalwood and civet - heavenly! The final dry-down, when Djedi goes all vetiver, is very close to vintage Guerlain Vetiver. Anyone else waiting for the return of Djedi?

Default Re: The Return of the Djedi?

I had a chance to try this, but I didn't want to dish out the massive amounts of cash to do so.
    I really have not heard/read of any plans to bring this back. I don't know where my hope would come from.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Think of Vol de Nuit extrait on a base of Vetiver, with a nice dose of sandalwood and civet - heavenly! The final dry-down, when Djedi goes all vetiver, is very close to vintage Guerlain Vetiver.
    Your description sounds wonderful! Otoh, Onda is often likened to Djedi and Onda is unwearable for me...

Basenotes Institution

I have no idea about Guerlain's plans in regards to Djedi. Perhaps with the IFRA ingredient restrictions it might be even more difficult to re-release, than it was back in '96.

I recently also tested Djedi for the first time about a month ago. I, like tott, found Onda by Vero Profumo just HORRIBLE on me = ultra powdery, thick, almost paste-like in texture with a persistenly acidic accord. So...I approached Djedi with absolutely no preconceived expectations and this is what I experienced: lot's of Guerlainade, bits of a heliotrope-almond accord, powder, a whiff of leather and some sort of musk. I personally smelled very little vetiver, and I think I know what Guerlain Vetiver smells like, as I wear it all of the time. I wanted it to smell dirty, leathery, vetiver, green, etc...but it didn't.

So either my nose is off, or the sample I tested is. I think I need to retest this again, later, to see if my impressions change. Perhaps this time, a sample from another source.

When I tested Djedi, I found it to be an extremely dry earthy vetiver scent, in no way harsh though.

A brilliant scent and it would be delightful to be available once again.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 2nd September 2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo

I adore Djedi, and have just written a review and history here:
    http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...nd-review.html

I dont sense a great likeness to Onda at all... perhaps there is an olfactory temperature that is similar, but beyond that... not so much. Some of the leather and vetiver treatments cross over, but to me they are two distinctly different scents.

I adore Onda too!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 2nd September 2010 at 11:03 AM.

You've said that before about your Djedi sample Mike - and I really think something is wrong with that sample of yours. From Luca Turin's NZZ Folio from 2005: "Guerlain, the great virtual konditorei who started it all with Jicky in 1889, only ever did two totally unsweetened perfumes: Djedi and Sous le Vent. The former was reissued a few years ago and was a tremendous animalic vetiver, correctly described by Guerlain’s Roja Dove as 'the driest perfume of all time'."

I have a bottle of pure vetiver oil, and when I do a side-by-side comparison of pure vetiver oil and Djedi, it's evident to me that Djedi mainly contains vetiver, in a state of almost rawness, and after that some oakmoss, patchouli and I guess some civet - plus just a dash of rose (the latter not very evident). There is absolutely no heliotrope, no almond, no powder. What you describe, Mike, really must be something else. I'm quite sure that your nose is alright!

Here's a note chart of the stuff I smell in Djedi:

PS: I doubt that Djedi will ever be reissued again. I doubt also that it would sell well if it was, even for a "normal" extrait price. The vetiver is just too raw to be interesting enough for enough of people I think...

PPS: Loved your pics on your review site, Sorcery! I will now read the text, mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...this is what I experienced: lot's of Guerlainade, bits of a heliotrope-almond accord, powder, a whiff of leather and some sort of musk. I personally smelled very little vetiver, and I think I know what Guerlain Vetiver smells like, as I wear it all of the time. I wanted it to smell dirty, leathery, vetiver, green, etc...but it didn't.

So either my nose is off, or the sample I tested is. I think I need to retest this again, later, to see if my impressions change. Perhaps this time, a sample from another source.

Agree with Mr. G.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    You've said that before about your Djedi sample Mike - and I really think something is wrong with that sample of yours. From Luca Turin's NZZ Folio from 2005: "Guerlain, the great virtual konditorei who started it all with Jicky in 1889, only ever did two totally unsweetened perfumes: Djedi and Sous le Vent. The former was reissued a few years ago and was a tremendous animalic vetiver, correctly described by Guerlain’s Roja Dove as 'the driest perfume of all time'."

I have a bottle of pure vetiver oil, and when I do a side-by-side comparison of pure vetiver oil and Djedi, it's evident to me that Djedi mainly contains vetiver, in a state of almost rawness, and after that some oakmoss, patchouli and I guess some civet - plus just a dash of rose (the latter not very evident). There is absolutely no heliotrope, no almond, no powder. What you describe, Mike, really must be something else. I'm quite sure that your nose is alright...
    Thanks U. I will be trying another sample soon & I'll re-post my thoughts then.

How would you compare it, U, to the masculine Vetiver - in terms of style, gender classification, overall vetiver strength/concentration, sillage, longevity, etc..?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd September 2010 at 09:01 PM.

First to Sorcery: You're a magician with words! I love your review of Djedi, "...sensations of being deep underground; where narrow stone corridors trap the air that has not shifted over the millennia." Excellent.

Mike: Djedi's vetiver is much more strong, elemental, raw and concentrated than in Jean-Paul's Vetiver, much less light, pleasant and refreshing. The vetiver in Djedi is almost solo, and I'm not sure many women would like it today. This Parfum last virtually forever on the skin, lingering in the same way that cold burned tobacco does.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks U. I will be trying another sample soon & I'll re-post my thoughts then.

How would you compare it, U, to the masculine Vetiver - in terms of style, gender classification, overall vetiver strength/concentration, sillage, longevity, etc..?

I only have a precious few drops left of my sample. Smelling Djedi has been the most profound encounter in my fragrance smelling experiences.

Blog Entries

I've never smelled it , but Guerlain seems to like bringing back rare old scents in expensive bottles for extremely limited exclusive re-releases. If there's enough buzz about Djedi, you'd think they'd bring it back as a $1000 200-bottles-only bee bottle exclusive at some point, unless it's so chock full of banned ingredients that they legally can't. They're very much a for-profit company and where there's demand, supply is sure to follow...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

PPS: Loved your pics on your review site, Sorcery! I will now read the text, mmm...
    First to Sorcery: You're a magician with words! I love your review of Djedi, "...sensations of being deep underground; where narrow stone corridors trap the air that has not shifted over the millennia." Excellent.
    Thanks Mr. G
    Its a very moving scent indeed. Quite unlike any other! Im pleased you liked my piece, but Im sure you'll agree that it is easy to be inspired by the work of Jacques Guerlain.

I suspect perhaps our only hope to see Djedi return (I know, those Star Wars associations are hard to avoid), might be on the 100th anniversary. Only another 16 years to wait! :-S Then again, Jicky's centenary practically slid by unnoticed, so the outlook is grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I adore Djedi, and have just written a review and history here: http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...nd-review.htmlI adore Onda too!
    Djedi, mysterious, majestic. Nice work Dimi.