Code of Conduct

Default A projection problem?

I have noticed whatever I wear, no matter how strong will not project off my skin after a few hours. Also, I am not talking softer weaker fragrences either. The other day I got a bottle of Joop! Homme, which I hear is a progection and longevity bomb, and hear can last all day. Long story short after about two hours the only way I could detect the smell was if I put my wrist directly on my nose. This is how it is for almost all of m fragrences. I like cologne a lot, but nothing projects on me, it will last, but it will dry down to the skin almost instantly. What can I do guys?

Default Re: A projection problem?

1.) Ask someone else if they can detect your frag, at what distance, and if they can when you walk by. You may have olfactory fatigue.

2.) Apply to areas that have the lowest percentage of body fat; where vessels/veins/arteries are close to the surface. The theory being that good projection takes some heat to evaporate the fragrance molecules.

3.) To help with #2, you can use a non-contact (infrared) thermometer (my carotid area is 93.6 at the moment).

4.) Try using fragrances with a higher alcohol content (generally, they should project more, but last less).

5.) Apply to clean skin, free of moisturizing products or anything else.

6.) Try applying to clothing (but not on any synthetic material like polyester since it can hold onto scents and will never give it up). I'd be cautious about wool too. On that note, I don't recommend any fabric softeners or any scented clothing detergent.

7.) Don't spray and walk through. Try slowly squeezing the nozzle to express the fragrance out onto a wrist. Bring the (still wet) wrist together with the opposite, then touch both wrists to the carotid areas (sides of neck). Experiment.

Spray on your clothes!

This is clearly olfactory fatigue.
    My advise is to NOT overspray as it will instantly cause olfactory fatigue.
    Give yourself 3 sprays on your chest. Don't spray your neck.
    Now most fragrances you don't smell all day long, like constantly.
    I recently wore Solo Loewe, 2 sprays to the chest, hadn't really smelled it during the day, but 9 hours after application I got big whafts of it.

I see you joined the forum this month.
    If you practice this fragrance hobby for some years and you keep testing new stuff, you will be better at picking up your own smell. It's like your nose improves over time with this hobby.

If you spray and sniff your wrist constantly, your nose will gradually "deaden" to the scent and you'll have to really cram your skin up to your nose to get anything. And if you wear a fragrance more than, say, three or four days in a row, the lasting power and projection won't be as evident. I once went on an Opium binge where it was the only thing I wore for about two weeks, and I remember being slightly let down by its rather minimal projection by the end of the second week. Took a break from it for about a month, then decided on a whim to wear it again. Holy F-balls, I was still getting wafts of its sillage a good 9 hours after spraying (and this was the eau de toilette).

Olfactory fatigue isn't just a buzz phrase on the fragrance forums, it's real, and all too common. If you want the full effects of all your fragrances, you need to rotate them and take breaks as needed. Also, wear the damn things, don't spray your arms and compulsively sniff them all day. I get a much better impression of a scent's sillage and projection (hey, that rhymes) when I just spray it on my neck or chest and go about my day.

Of course, once you've eliminated those variables, you could just have sinus problems or whacky skin chemistry. Do ask for a second opinion when you find you can't smell the fragrance anymore - chances are you're projecting just fine (especially with Joop!).

That's what she said!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    If you spray and sniff your wrist constantly, your nose will gradually "deaden" to the scent and you'll have to really cram your skin up to your nose to get anything. And if you wear a fragrance more than, say, three or four days in a row, the lasting power and projection won't be as evident. I once went on an Opium binge where it was the only thing I wore for about two weeks, and I remember being slightly let down by its rather minimal projection by the end of the second week. Took a break from it for about a month, then decided on a whim to wear it again. Holy F-balls, I was still getting wafts of its sillage a good 9 hours after spraying (and this was the eau de toilette).

Olfactory fatigue isn't just a buzz phrase on the fragrance forums, it's real, and all too common. If you want the full effects of all your fragrances, you need to rotate them and take breaks as needed. Also, wear the damn things, don't spray your arms and compulsively sniff them all day. I get a much better impression of a scent's sillage and projection (hey, that rhymes) when I just spray it on my neck or chest and go about my day.

Of course, once you've eliminated those variables, you could just have sinus problems or whacky skin chemistry. Do ask for a second opinion when you find you can't smell the fragrance anymore - chances are you're projecting just fine (especially with Joop!).
    What he said. If you're using JOOP and think it's not projecting, ask someone else. Anyone within 7-8 feet should do.