Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Ebay UK Now Ban The Sale Of Perfume Testers

Now I know they stopped the sale of decants ages ago now it seems testers are also being banned from sale.

I have bought testers on ebay and got some great deals better.

**Policy Update on Perfumes and Cosmetics for eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie***

12 August, 2010 | 03:34PM BST

While our objective is to make your experience on eBay simple and enjoyable, our guidelines and policies are created to make sure that sellers understand which items are allowed on eBay. eBay prohibits the sale of certain items as the sale may infringe on third parties’ intellectual property rights.

The European Court of Justice has found that the sale of perfume testers and smell-a-like perfumes that are compared to a well known brand may infringe third party trademark rights. The sale of perfumes in bottles other than the original bottle (decanters) may also infringe third party trademark rights. Therefore eBay has decided to prevent the sale of such items on the European platforms and has updated our site policies accordingly.

You can find the UK Policy here and the IE policy here.

Regards,
    The eBay Team

Also the smell alikes as well, though I never bought of thought of buying those.
    DONNA

Default Re: Ebay UK Now Ban The Sale Of Perfume Testers

Ebay *uckers allow sales of fakes galore , but testers are a no no , what a joke

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm not a big buyer of testers,
    I will gladly pay more to get a
    genuine frag, but when such
    isen't avalible, I usually buy a
    tester, but not anymore I see!

THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Ebay *uckers allow sales of fakes galore , but testers are a no no , what a joke

+1.

I've bought a few testers, they've all been the real thing and great bargains.

There must still be testers out there - & people like me who would like to buy them, so what's the way forward?

I found this new category on Ebay UK today - they where not called "tester" anywhere in the info, only "comes without box" or "without cap and box". They where supposed to be "unopened" and where all also a few pounds cheaper than their colleges in the line up.
    Testers, undercover?
    Guessing they cant ban selling bottles without caps or boxes.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    I found this new category on Ebay UK today - they where not called "tester" anywhere in the info, only "comes without box" or "without cap and box". They where supposed to be "unopened" and where all also a few pounds cheaper than their colleges in the line up.
    Testers, undercover?
    Guessing they cant ban selling bottles without caps or boxes.

Probably does include testers. So the mighty eBay UK lives in fear of the wrath of Perfume Houses.

Many of the testers I bought came in plain cardboard boxes with some description of the fragrance itself printed on the outside.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I have seen testers still for sale on ebay UK, but the word tester does not appear. One seller never used the word tester in her descriptions but showed the bottle with bubble wrap saying no box.

I remember a few years back quite a few sites which sold nothing but testers. Sorry I cannot remember the names of them but they where UK based and also sold minis too.
    DONNA

While i think Ebay’s policies are mostly rubbish, this time it’s not their fault. You cannot legally sell testers in the european union anymore. On June 6th 2010 the european court of justice ruled that selling testers is against the law if the testers did not become property of the vendors but were only given them for the sole purpose of spraying the content on customers.

If you want anyone to blame it’s not Ebay but Coty Prestige Lancaster.

Here’s the judgement (2010 C-127/09)

You know how often I was told "sorry, our tester is gone = stolen again and we have to wait for a new one"? I could imagine this could also be a reason why you hardly find testers for anything else than EdT. At least, the thrill of stealing it for legally selling it on ebay is over...

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    You know how often I was told "sorry, our tester is gone = stolen again and we have to wait for a new one"? I could imagine this could also be a reason why you hardly find testers for anything else than EdT. At least, the thrill of stealing it for legally selling it on ebay is over...
    The testers I bought came in a plain white box with the name of the fragrance on them. So not testers stolen from a counter, mainly power sellers on ebay who had shops and had usually at least five of the same fragrance. I know department stores have sales shops especially for staff to buy cheap usually a surplus tester or two, and often thought that is where the bottles came from.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

What a shame
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.