Code of Conduct

Default L'Abeille de Guerlain

1853: Pierre-François-Pascal Guerlain presents his Eau de Cologne to the French empress in a bottle shaped like a beehive and covered with 69 gilded bees — the Napoleonic emblem of efficiency and productivity. 2010: The bee is more central than ever in Guerlain's presentation designs, honoured as the symbol that links new creations to the House's proud history. This year's exclusive Guerlain launch is ultra-exclusive: Guerlain has asked Baccarat to manufacture the biggest perfume bottle ever done by the distingué crystal works firm, an immense handblown crystal sculpture in shape of a more than thirty centimetres tall bee with wings as faceted as diamonds. Fashioned by jewellery designer Lorenz Bäume, who is also behind the look of the Rouge G lipstick, and named L'Abeille de Guerlain, "the Guerlain Bee", just 46 numbered pieces has been made, each one containing 245 ml of Parfum at the luxurious price of 12.500 Euros, destined for only the most affluent collectors. The juice is composed by Thierry Wasser who explains that he has tried to "view a garden from a bee's perspective", sweet pollen, chlorophyllic greens, that vegetal accord that by now has become Wasser's hallmark, a blend of sunny flowers: Mimosa, orange blossom, jasmine. And a scent of golden honey which "marries so well with summer flowers" as puts it Wasser who also admits that this mix risks smelling syrupy thick if treated badly, but he assures that his creation "flies like an angel, diffuses without suffocating, twines around the marvellous iris, so precisely powdery". The result is as classic as it is narcotic, not unlike Jean-Paul Guerlain's Les Secrets de Sophie or Jacques' Candide Effluve, or even Wasser's own Flora Nymphéa. In L'Abeille, the jasmine is intense and carnal, it's hazily powdered, with the illuminating, slightly innocent effect of mimosa, and with a honey that indeed is not too sweet, but aromatically herbal and buoyant.

Virtually unattainable, the usual "price per ml" calculation is pointless here, as the cost is less for the juice than the colossal handblown Baccarat crystal sculpture. It's been a long time since I have seen anything this impressive, and I hope one piece will be conserved at Champs-Elysées for future admiration. See photo of the sculpture here.

I have smelled the fragrance and it really is magnetizing, at once quite innocent and "fresh", yet extremely carnal and powdery, a classic white flower extrait, but at once also green and honeyed. One could wish for Guerlain to sell a bit of the juice in an ordinary bee bottle...

Default Re: L'Abeille de Guerlain

What a great-looking bottle!

Thanks for sharing Mr.G!

Blog Entries

The beautiful merging of the art of fragrance and that of sculptured crystal, magnificent! Thanks, Mr. G, for the post.

Wish I was one of the lucky people that will be proud to have one of these bottles!
    Hope you can get yours Mr G, since your guerlain collection is amazing and deserve something like this

I wish too. But with a price worth almost three monthly pay checks, I'm afraid it's out of my league It's just to be admired and dreamed about...

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Wish I was one of the lucky people that will be proud to have one of these bottles!
    Hope you can get yours Mr G, since your guerlain collection is amazing and deserve something like this

Hope at least perfumed court get one and offer decants of it. It'll be costly, I know, but i just have to try it!

Beautiful! As many of the others said: 'thanks' very much for sharing. It's amazing the detail and craft that goes into such creations. I love Guerlain for their traditionally 'royal' bottles. Not only are you getting a wonderful perfume or cologne but you are also purchasing a piece of art that one can proudly display on their bedroom comptoirs

I would love to have seen it in person! Lucky you Mr. G to have had the oppurtunity to sample such a treat!
    " Nothing can be known - not even this..." - Carneades

Yes, I was wowed by this flacon too, hence it becoming my avatar!

Yes Dimi, I meant to comment on that - I noticed it a few days ago - but got too wound up in my own excitement to remember I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Yes, I was wowed by this flacon too, hence it becoming my avatar!

I want one of these!!

Breathtaking !

Thank you, Mr. G, for sharing.

Basenotes Plus

Hope at least perfumed court get one and offer decants of it. It'll be costly, I know, but i just have to try it!
    I totally agree, I would love to try it. Such an amazing bottle! Thank you Mr. G for sharing!

Blog Entries

That is so unbelievably beautiful! I dont suppose you will be offering decants for sale on your Monsieur Guerlain site some day? Oh, and I ended up with someone swapping with me so I could get another variation of the LHB. I'll probably try to get a larger decant from you soon though. Thanks for posting this info and sharing the link to the gorgeous photo! K

Basenotes Institution

Is this more expensive than Mon Precieux Nectar?

Edit: Duh...I just did the math. 15,000 US dollars? Wow.

BTW - how do you pronounce this one? Ah-beh-lay?

Stunning. Just....stunning. I would love to sniff this.

mikeperez...l'abeille (the bee) pronounced "ah-baye" (the 2 l's are silent)

Basenotes Institution

It's a beauty . I was told it's $17,000 !!!!! Bye Bye dear lemming !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

Egad !

Another spectacular shot (pinched off the web).

Have to say it again: beautiful !

Thanks Sorcery of Scent.

Blog Entries

It certainly is impressive, but who exactly is going to buy it, I wonder?
    I really wish these companies would consider their actual clients at some point in product development.

Basenotes Institution

I love it but there IS the huge price point and availability . The SA at the Guerlain boutique in Vegas said there is one bottle in the US. Go for it Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    Stunning. Just....stunning. I would love to sniff this.

mikeperez...l'abeille (the bee) pronounced "ah-baye" (the 2 l's are silent)
    Yes, as in "vielle." Maybe the derivation of the English, "bee."

Wow--what a find! A joy to have, but for a price. This is out of my league.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm almost freaking out here, since i was gifted with a surprise sample of this one at my last purchase. I feel like one of the luckiest person in the world I just that the sample doesn`t break on it`s way to my home...
    As soon as i got it here i`ll came back and post my impression.

i was gifted with a surprise sample of this one at my last purchase.
    Is this the purchase I'm thinking, Rick?

Is this the purchase I'm thinking, Rick?
    Exactly Dimmy. It`s all your fault lol
    I have to thank you too

:-O

Basenotes Institution

I'm almost freaking out here, since i was gifted with a surprise sample of this one at my last purchase. I feel like one of the luckiest person in the world I just that the sample doesn`t break on it`s way to my home...
    As soon as i got it here i`ll came back and post my impression.
    I'm falling over Rick ! You lucky person- yes ! Please tell us what you think !

All I can say it's i'm amazed about how beautiful this fragrance is. It's familiar and at the same time seems like i never tried something like this. So fresh, so natural, so bright. It's like the perfumeur has captured the smell of an angel. On my skin the jasmine was the note that was more proeminent, but i never smelled a jasmine like this. In general i see fragrances that use the heavy, indolic, night aroma of jasmine or the ones that explore tha greener side of this note. The jasmine here is a fresh, soft honeyed one, supported by the orange blossom aroma (i couldn't detect the mimosa on my skin). It's like they have captured perfectly the soul of a jasmine blooming, the soft, sweet aroma of the jasmine with something citrusy and green, and just a hint of something carnal. As the scent starts to develop, i can detect a creamier white musk base that supports the fresh and delicate flower opening and makes it glow even more. I have noticed at the base something that reminds me of petit grain too, that sweet, slightly bitter green smell of the petit grain seems to emerge with hints of tonka bean with the musk base too.
    I'm envy of the ones that can purchase this fragrance. I'd buy it if i have the money, it's worth every penny i think.

I sniffed it once again while in Paris. To me, the mimosa was actually the most prominent of the ingredients. If one has sniffed Petit Guerlain, one will know the scent of mimosa, and L'Abeille has the same romantic, fresh-soapy-heady, bee-buzzing aura (although being a much more complex and rich floral than Petit Guerlain was). I was surprised to sense how Wasser had succeeded in doing a fragrance that actually evokes images of hot summer days when bees are buzzing lazily around flowers.

I would of course have loved to see the Baccarat sculpture live, but it won't be displayed until November on Champs-Elysées. I asked again at the Rue de Passy boutique to which the SA replied, "I'm sorry, sir, but we just sold the one we had". Gosh. 12.500 Euros and it's already sold. I want to know what kind of customer this is! But I guess one of those extremely rich Japanese or Middle Eastern buyers that I constantly saw with numerous haute couture bags on Rue St. Honoré...

PS: The SA said that the fragrance MIGHT eventually end up among Les Parisiennes one day...

There is one on display at the Perfume Diaries. It's truly stunning!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    I sniffed it once again while in Paris. To me, the mimosa was actually the most prominent of the ingredients. If one has sniffed Petit Guerlain, one will know the scent of mimosa, and L'Abeille has the same romantic, fresh-soapy-heady, bee-buzzing aura (although being a much more complex and rich floral than Petit Guerlain was). I was surprised to sense how Wasser had succeeded in doing a fragrance that actually evokes images of hot summer days when bees are buzzing lazily around flowers.

I would of course have loved to see the Baccarat sculpture live, but it won't be displayed until November on Champs-Elysées. I asked again at the Rue de Passy boutique to which the SA replied, "I'm sorry, sir, but we just sold the one we had". Gosh. 12.500 Euros and it's already sold. I want to know what kind of customer this is! But I guess one of those extremely rich Japanese or Middle Eastern buyers that I constantly saw with numerous haute couture bags on Rue St. Honoré...

PS: The SA said that the fragrance MIGHT eventually end up among Les Parisiennes one day...
    Mr G, I really hope that it end in the Les Parisiennes line one day. It's so beautiful, fresh, so well done that it's a shame to be restricted only to 65 persons around the world

Basenotes Plus

Saw it today at the Perfume Diaries in Harrods, it really is beautiful. I took a picture on my iPhone,sorry about the quality:

The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds wonderful. I'm a bright shade of green, with envy.

Wearing it from the second time i was able to detect the mimosa accord that Mr Guerlain pointed. One of my friend showed me a mimosa flower that she keept on he diary, and i was able then to see that the mimosa has a soft, velvet white flower aroma, with some honeyed nuances, something between honey and pollen. And this is the way that L'Abeille opens on skin. It's a soft honey aroma, of a flower that has fully blooming. It's the contrast of the inocent aroma of the flower against the sensual aspect of it's honey. The two sides coexist from the beginning until the end of the composition. I now noticed that there's a iris accord supporting the flower upfront, and the iris here give a subtle green-earthy aroma that contributes to the delicate spring theme. The mimosa progressively fades to a jasmine accord without any indole aroma, which is a jasmine with some green sides. The orange blossom is subtle on me, only a hit of the sharp citric and carnal aroma of this flower. L'Aibelle ends on me with a creamy musk with a slightly bitter-green aroma of petit grain. Delicate, but not sheer, sensual, but innocence, it perfectly matches Guerlain heritage. I do wish that it's launched more commercialy one day.

L'Abeille is AB-SO-LUTELY stunning *groans*

I've been sampling this over the past few days and find it to be the epitome of opulence and excess... but in a resolutely soft and velvety way. Mimosa has a very distinctive perfume, and L'Abeille definitely celebrates this. I certainly *get* the honey and the supporting florals. Simply put, this is the perfume of a true summer day.

I wrote a slightly expanded review here today.

Now, I am wondering which bank I can rob... *sighs*

Basenotes Institution

I've been sampling this over the past few days and find it to be the epitome of opulence and excess... but in a resolutely soft and velvety way. Mimosa has a very distinctive perfume, and L'Abeille definitely celebrates this. I certainly *get* the honey and the supporting florals. Simply put, this is the perfume of a true summer day.

I have never smelled mimosa flowers in nature (only in fragrances and in shaving soaps/soap/etc) so I'm not really sure if I know what it actually smells like, but your review helped me frame a reference in my mind.

Reading your review, it sounds even more wonderful than it already had. I am actually scared to smell this. The price (in US dollars it's about $67 per 1 ml) is just sort of mind blowing.

I'll stick with the economical Mon Precieux Nectar.

Oh, that bottle!!!!! Deep sigh of longing.

So here is the question, S of S Mr. G., and anyone else who has smelled this beauty: does the mimosa smell like mimosa in nature (a smell i know through and through )--or does it smell like mimosa absolute, which is the smell of mimosa as we all think of it in perfume and soap (which to me always smells sort of almondy, not much at all like real mimosa)?
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 26th December 2010 at 08:09 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Nostalgie, to my nose it smells like the mimosa in nature... a kind of fuzzy sweet, slightly stinky mimosa... yellower than yellow, and so velvety it will tickle your nose. Absolute heaven!

BTW, mimosa here in Australia we call wattle (acacia)... but I do know true mimosa as a reference from living in Europe. The two have a perfume trail that are pretty much identical. There is nothing almondy that I can detect in this one.

Mike, LOL @ your Mon Precieux Nectar comment! Next to L'Abeille, this suddenly sounds like a BARGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have never smelled mimosa flowers in nature (only in fragrances and in shaving soaps/soap/etc) so I'm not really sure if I know what it actually smells like, but your review helped me frame a reference in my mind.

Reading your review, it sounds even more wonderful than it already had. I am actually scared to smell this. The price (in US dollars it's about $67 per 1 ml) is just sort of mind blowing.

I'll stick with the economical Mon Precieux Nectar.
    Mike, there`s a fragrance from L'Erbolario which is a mimosa soliflore. It`s called L`Erbolaroi Acacia Elixir. If want to have an idea of the mimosa smell, try to find some of this to test it. It has a fresh, green, slightly polen aroma which has an angelical aroma and which is the first impression of L'Abeille on skin.

Nostalgie, I also think that Mimosa in L`Abeille smells more like mimosa in nature. It`s a very realistic use of the note, that makes me wonder how were they able to produce it. It`s one of the things that L'Abeille amazes me, it doesn`t smell like flowers captured for a fragrance, but more like the smooth smell of spring flowers at their habitat.

Nostalgie, I also think that Mimosa in L`Abeille smells more like mimosa in nature. It`s a very realistic use of the note, that makes me wonder how were they able to produce it. It`s one of the things that L'Abeille amazes me, it doesn`t smell like flowers captured for a fragrance, but more like the smooth smell of spring flowers at their habitat.
    Oh, no! I was sort of hoping it would disappoint...All the more reason to long for it...Oh, the cruelty.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Basenotes Institution

Mike, there`s a fragrance from L'Erbolario which is a mimosa soliflore. It`s called L`Erbolaroi Acacia Elixir. If want to have an idea of the mimosa smell, try to find some of this to test it. It has a fresh, green, slightly polen aroma which has an angelical aroma and which is the first impression of L'Abeille on skin.
    Thanks rickbr.

Saddens me greatly that this is the direction Guerlain is going in. More and more releases to be enjoyed by fewer and fewer people.

Personally, I could care less if they put a fabulous scent in a rinsed out Pepsi bottle and sold it to me. The container is secondary, completely, in my opinion. A great scent could be bottled in the most plain flacon, No 5 anyone, and still be timeless and perfect.

Shame on LVMH and their greedy ways.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Blog Entries

Hear, hear, Brielle! Anyway, mimosa is a deal breaker for me. I am not interested in those power-house florals.