Code of Conduct

Question Burberry Brit and D&G The One : Similarities or just my nose?

So I've been wearing 'The One' off samples for a few weeks until I finally scored a new 125ml bottle very cheaply. Although I was reading in another thread about Burberry Brit which I had never tried and by judging off the first few I smelled from the Burberry house I had no interest although many mentioned the powdery nature to it. That intrigued me enough to give it a paper test and was further intrigued.

I got a sample and have been wearing it today lounging around the house. It totally has a similar smell of The One in the background with the powdery overtones that dominate. At least from my one testing this is what I'm getting.

Am I off track with my nose on this or are there others out here who found the same thing? I really like it. Probably the only one from the Burberry house I'd even consider wearing.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Default Re: Burberry Brit and D&G The One : Similarities or just my nose?

I also like Brit, but in the drydown it becomes quite feminine IMO. But it keeps intriguing me, and I have a strong feeling that girls really like this one. It's very sexy.

I tested The One on a paper strip a long while ago, and if I remember correctly, Brit didn't come up in my mind while smelling The One.

Top notes are quite different for sure. I'm talking about once you get into the dry down. I don't get anything feminine about the Brit dry down. Sure the powder lingers but the further you get into it that powder subsides and leaves something very similar to 'The One'. Not identical, as 'The One' is still a bit more boozy and more masculine in the dry down but there are some similarity. I only got a tester and they kind of short changed me on the fill at the store, didn't give me but one test off it so I'd probably get a more defined read with another wearing.

I like it enough to buy it and I can get a 125ml for $31 through some online source. I was planning on getting a couple others through them and I get free shipping if I pass a threshold and the extra bottle would do it. Pay around $18 for shipping on the order or get one more bottle for $31 and it's free....easy choice...lol. Won't be till next month though unfortunately. I've overbought this month cause I found some really good deals.

I don't remember finding them similar. The One is somewhat more spicy I guess. Brit really shares a vibe with Gucci Envy for men in the drydown. I'm not saying they are similar, but there is a hint of it. Brit is kind of powdery rose indeed, and yes, girls do find it sexy.

The top notes hardly have any similarities. Brit seems woodier and deeper, while the one is a light spicy fragrance. As for the drydown, I think the one keeps it's "spicy" vibe, or maybe the fragrance itself is so light that I can't detect the drydown, it lasts 2-3 hours on me. While the brit has a somewhat above average powder dry down.

they certainly have similarities, but very little.

I dont get as much powder from The One as I do Brit. Both have their spicy side though, The One a little more on the spice.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

I also remember that The One has a projection problem and is a close to skin scent, whilst Brit is quite loud-ish but in a decent manner.

Oh, there's zero powder from The One. I just found in the background of Brit had this undertone that reminded me of The One. A day removed and one little test of a scent with no chance to compare and it's a distant memory! LOL. I'm going to have to score another sample of Brit and tell the SA to fill it up so I can get a few tests out of it. I'll do a paper and back of hand side by side after a nice long hot shower to see if it's me nose or if I'm really getting the similar notes.

I'd like to get a bottle of Brit but it won't be for another few weeks. I have my order planned out already for this one online source. Like 5 frags and it'll cost me about $80 with shipping for the big sizes on all of them. No blind buys in the bunch. Well, maybe one for the thrill of it since the price will be pretty cheap..heh

What I'm saying is what The One has in the forefront Brit has in the background, but The One has no powder at all, while Brit just surrounds the scent in the powder. I'm not saying the two are alike. They aren't that much alike other than the background note of Brit is something I find in the forefront of The One. Brit has the powder surrounding the whole scent while The One has no powder at all. So it's really easy to say they aren't alike in that respect but it's not what I'm getting at.

I guess I'll do a little side by side and follow up on this idea. I could be wrong but I'll see. Of course I wore The One 36 hours earlier, a couple showers and another frag of separation before I did the Brit test so could there have The One lingering on my arm? I doubt it with the longevity issues of The One but you never know, huh.

Not trying to be mean or anything but I had like 4 ppl say this on my youtube page BUT they dont smell anything alike. Brit is very powdery and The One is fruity/tobacco(weak tobacco). Honestly I dont feel there is any part of Brit that smells like The One and vise versa. Maybe it is the paper... but on skin I dont even feel as though they are close.
    Last edited by CutlassSupremeSL; 24th August 2010 at 08:26 PM.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Not trying to be mean or anything but I had like 4 ppl say this on my youtube page BUT they dont smell anything alike. Brit is very powdery and The One is fruity/tobacco(weak tobacco). Honestly I dont there there is any part of Brit that smells like The One and vise versa. Maybe it is the paper... but on skin I dont even feel as though they are close.
    yo dude. i watch you videos on youtube all the time. awsome to have u on here

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    yo dude. i watch you videos on youtube all the time. awsome to have u on here
    Thanks stay tuned I have a few nice addtions coming.

Not trying to be mean or anything but I had like 4 ppl say this on my youtube page BUT they dont smell anything alike. Brit is very powdery and The One is fruity/tobacco(weak tobacco). Honestly I dont there there is any part of Brit that smells like The One and vise versa. Maybe it is the paper... but on skin I dont even feel as though they are close.
    So you are saying you've had 4 people say the same thing I'm saying BUT you don't agree?.....Interesting......

You also think 'The One' is fruity? Interesting......

I don't think you were mean. I would have chosen a completely different word which I'll keep to myself otherwise I'd be mean...I will leave it at.... very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    So you are saying you've had 4 people say the same thing I'm saying BUT you don't agree?.....Interesting......

You also think 'The One' is fruity? Interesting......

I don't think you were mean. I would have chosen a completely different word which I'll keep to myself otherwise I'd be mean...I will leave it at.... very interesting!
    Your sarcasim is hmmmmmm.....

Well I will change the word "fruity" to "tropical punch vibe" of a scent for the top notes. <--- The One.
    The dry-down on it is spicy and a tad bit sweet(I think this depends on your skin). Well considering 4 ppl out of waht maybe 80.... sooooo I'd say its your skin or your nose is a bit off. But who am I to say.... All I know is I own The One and my god-brother(whom I'm around all the time) wears Brit and they arent even close. But hey thats on my skin not a card.

Your sarcasim is hmmmmmm.....

Well I will change the word "fruity" to "tropical punch vibe" of a scent for the top notes. <--- The One.
    The dry-down on it is spicy and a tad bit sweet(I think this depends on your skin). Well considering 4 ppl out of waht maybe 80.... sooooo I'd say its your skin or your nose is a bit off. But who am I to say.... All I know is I own The One and my god-brother(whom I'm around all the time) wears Brit and they arent even close. But hey thats on my skin not a card.
    I guess you have a reading comprehension problem as well. You might want to read my original post again and reevaluate your assumptions. Just cause you have some self published video blog doesn't make your nose any better or your analysis any more accurate than mine. You may think your nose is a classically trained olfactory master but it's just a booger keeper like the rest of ours.

I know what I smell, and can match nose hairs with anyone. But I did only get one test wearing of the cologne and admitted there may have been some residual scent on my arm that could have potentially altered my identification of notes. Especially if Brit is a softer frag that doesn't have a heavy hand so to speak there could have been something else that transpired...like I perspired! I was open to other's opinion and am not afraid to learn every day.

You on the other hand seem to have this self righteous, egocentric position about your own opinion. Coming in with a 'don't want to be mean but' bombastic attitude towards another person's opinion and experience. Welcome to reality but there isn't 'right' or 'wrong', when it comes to personal experience and opinion about matters that are subjective. Trying to call someone's experience about a fragrance 'right' or 'wrong' is like trying to tell someone they are right or wrong about what they hear about music or what they see in a piece of art.

It's subjective, life is subjective. Come off your pedestal, park your high horse by the trough and open your mind to learn that life is not always just about 'right' and 'wrong' and not everything can be quantified with empirical data. You may have sensed sarcasm in my post but that too is subjective. What I truly was feeling when posting that may have been a completely different thing. But it's not 'right' or 'wrong'....it is what it is.

LOL wow have you not read anything I wrote. The first comment I gave my opinion and said that these to fragrances don't smell anything alike. Then you went into sarcastic defense mode and made it a personal response. At no point did I say anything about how my nose is a master of smelling fragrances nor did I go on about my reviews and how good I am. So after skimming thru your last response I can pretty much determine a few options:

-You're an idiot
    -You somehow wanted to pick a fight
    -You're racist
    -You just don't like me

You pick and choose which one it was after you go back re-read how you responded to very simple things I said. Note that I covered my rear end several times using statements like "on my skin" and "in my opinion."

You sir have just made an ass of yourself. You have a good day.
    Last edited by CutlassSupremeSL; 24th August 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Nice

-Your an idiot
    -Your racist
    -Your just don't like me

I..dont mean to nitpick but it's:

- You're an idiot
    - You're racist
    - You just dont like me

Not trying to be mean or anything but I had like 4 ppl say this on my youtube page BUT they dont smell anything alike.
    Mister CutlassSupreme, I think it's this line that Pipsta is referring to. You're saying it like you're the only one who is right.
    That's quite a bombastic way to tell your opinion.

.... sooooo I'd say its your skin or your nose is a bit off.
    Also not the nicest thing to post on a forum, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post

- You're an idiot
    - You're racist
    - You just dont like me

Thank you lol and I was in a rush. And I hated english class I'm sorry I was a science/math guy....

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Mister CutlassSupreme, I think it's this line that Pipsta is referring to. You're saying it like you're the only one who is right.
    That's quite a bombastic way to tell your opinion.

Also not the nicest thing to post on a forum, is it?
    Actually you know what you are correct but if you would please refer to my FIRST reply that got a rude response from him in the first place. I think my second reply which is the one your qouting from was just fine after what he had to say. I voiced a clear and simple opinion in my first response and he responded with sarcasim and rudeness. Mind you he did not respond to not one other person in this thread like that. If he is going to response in such a way as he did he should be able to take a bit of it back just fine.

Sur la Plage

I personally do not find them similar at all. Nor do I consider either one to be "feminine".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not the same.

LOL wow have you not read anything I wrote. The first comment I gave my opinion and said that these to fragrances don't smell anything alike. Then you went into sarcastic defense mode and made it a personal response. At no point did I say anything about how my nose is a master of smelling fragrances nor did I go on about my reviews and how good I am. So after skimming thru your last response I can pretty much determine a few options:

-You're an idiot
    -You're racist
    -You just don't like me

You pick and choose which one it was after you go back re-read how you responded to very simple things I said. Note that I covered my rear end several times using statements like "on my skin" and "in my opinion."

Calling names. Shows a lack of intelligence and an absence of a point. Time to grow up. I didn't call you any names, I just disagreed with your opinion and had issue with your attitude towards mine.

Pick a fight. I wasn't the one who came into a thread started by someone else with a 'don't want to be mean' attitude and telling them their 'nose is off'. Seems like you were out to pick a fight, not I.

Racist? You don't even know me and to be honest I don't even know you. But when someone plays the racist card it can mean only one thing. They themselves are the true racist.

Don't like you? Again, I don't even know you. Never seen your fragrance reviews, don't know who you are. Never saw you post here other than the one where you responded to my post. That's the basis of my knowledge about you.

I feel comfortable about what I've posted in this thread, or anywhere on this forum. You on the other hand seem like you are defensive. That's some pretty weak sauce your bringin' in here... u mad?

LOL!

- You're an idiot
    - You're racist
    - You just dont like me

aaaa, ts-ts-ts-ts, you ol' grammar you

About The One again - I remeber this one not projecting the way I like, I really did like the scent though. I might give it shot again soon.

Drop it... Useless disagreement bringing useless drama from two grown men. (i assume)

I disagree, I do not find brit nor The One similar to each other, However, both are pleasant fragrances.

This thread should be locked before it gets out of hand. I see this with no benefit coming from it. When people start calling names and pulling the race card there's not much that can end well for it. Mods do us a favor and kill it. As the thread starter I'd have no problem with that happening. I actually would invite it... oh wait...I did!

I also do not find Brit similar to The One. The first I like. The latter I detest.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I personally do not find them similar at all. Nor do I consider either one to be "feminine".
    Well I retested Brit because of this topic and to be honest, I didn't find it that feminine either. I think it's all the powder in it that gives me this impression, although a men could easily get away with this fragrance, especially while clubbing.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 24th August 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Everyone has different adaption what smells similar
    and to my senses D&g The one and burberry brit
    don't alike so i think it's your senses

Blog Entries

Everyone has different adaption what smells similar
    and to my senses D&g The one and burberry brit
    don't alike so i think it's your senses

Whether they smell alike or not, I don't think The One is anything special (sorry Domenico and Stefano!) but Brit is an unsung jewel of a man's fragrance. If it were "niche" it would get raves.

brit is currently ranked number one in my wardrobe. i cannot say enough about it. its been at the top for me since the begining. the rose in the middle note is arguable the most beautiful thing i have ever smelled in my life.

i havent tried The One, but if it has any similarities, then it better be great

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    brit is currently ranked number one in my wardrobe. i cannot say enough about it. its been at the top for me since the begining. the rose in the middle note is arguable the most beautiful thing i have ever smelled in my life.

i havent tried The One, but if it has any similarities, then it better be great
    I too enjoy Brit. And that's the beauty of noses. I hardly smell the rose at all, and for the most part, I hate rose in a fragrance, rather I smell more of the spices in the midst of the powdery notes. ...The rose is probably what's giving off the powdery aspect. It's really good stuff. Definitely glad it's in my wardrobe. Cant wait till the weather gets cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    aaaa, ts-ts-ts-ts, you ol' grammar you
    I know. Grammar is silly. But if a person is going to tell someone not to be an ass...well, at least write it all out properly.

Maybe you were picking up on the amber/ambroxan in the base of each. At various times I've found myself a bit more sensitive than usual to specific chemicals and I would notice similarities between scents that few if anyone else noticed.

One in particular that I recall is the similarity between PR Ultraviolet Man and Tauer's LDDM. They both have a ton of an ambergris note - ambroxan I assume. Ultraviolet Man is a thinner, airier, sweeter scent while LDDM adds some tar and spice and is a bit more dense (but is also quite sweet), but they both have a very similar ambergris backbone running throughout.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Maybe you were picking up on the amber/ambroxan in the base of each. At various times I've found myself a bit more sensitive than usual to specific chemicals and I would notice similarities between scents that few if anyone else noticed.

One in particular that I recall is the similarity between PR Ultraviolet Man and Tauer's LDDM. They both have a ton of an ambergris note - ambroxan I assume. Ultraviolet Man is a thinner, airier, sweeter scent while LDDM adds some tar and spice and is a bit more dense (but is also quite sweet), but they both have a very similar ambergris backbone running throughout.
    Both have cardamon, ginger and cedarwood in their notes as well as one having orange blossom and the other green mandarin which both produce a kind of green orange note. Out of 9 and 10 notes for each of them they share about a third of their notes with identical ones. But people would rather have me believe my nose is broken instead of it possibly being really sensitive....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I also remember that The One has a projection problem and is a close to skin scent, whilst Brit is quite loud-ish but in a decent manner.
    agreed. The One has no staying-power and projection..

I don't really see too many similarities. Brit is quite peppery, loud and shortlived while D&G The One is fruity, soft and shortlived.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Both have cardamon, ginger and cedarwood in their notes as well as one having orange blossom and the other green mandarin which both produce a kind of green orange note. Out of 9 and 10 notes for each of them they share about a third of their notes with identical ones. But people would rather have me believe my nose is broken instead of it possibly being really sensitive....lol.
    I'm not saying that at all. I've only smelled The One on a card and from that slight exposure I didn't pick up any great similarities to Brit, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Of course, on the flipside, two scents could list the exact same notes and smell completely different - proportion is everything. Besides, a notes list is not a definitive list of what is in the perfume. Scents may have a listed note of something that doesn't appear in the perfume at all, or may not list many notes that do appear. While note pyramids aren't completely useless, they are heavily influenced by marketing.

What I'm saying is that often times two scents that share a certain chemical jump out at me the same way, even when all of the supporting notes/chemicals/accords are substantially different. That is often times why some people find two scents to share similarities that the majority of BNers find to be nothing alike. It comes down to the granularity of observation. When looking at the big picture the two scents may be divergent enough that the masses do not find them similar (as seems to be the case with these two scents, judging by the majority of replies here) and yet when one shifts to a finer granularity of observation, there may be significant similarities that are overlooked by most (as they focus on the not insignificant differences).

That's all I'm saying.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    I don't really see too many similarities. Brit is quite peppery, loud and shortlived while D&G The One is fruity, soft and shortlived.

=)
    Brit is peppery and shortlived? Do you mean The Beat? Just curious cause I dont smell any pepper in Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    agreed. The One has no staying-power and projection..
    Actually it depends on the skin and temperature. I feel The One is not a fall/winter scent that D&G wanted it to be. BUT in the heat I get 9-11 hours with it(8 of those hours are office temp). Now the project is ok at best but still easily detectable in a walk by. I personally don't like anything powdery which is the main reason I don't like Brit or any other powder scent out there.

Brit is peppery and shortlived? Do you mean The Beat? Just curious cause I dont smell any pepper in Brit.
    Meant "powdery". And yes, the Beat makes me sneeze! Great scent though.

+ Brit is not shortlived, at least on me.

I've been wearing The One quite a bit lately and I've been noticing that though it has sillage and projection issues the longevity on the skin and clothes aren't part of that. I've even picked up whiffs of it on my skin a day or so later even after showering and applying another scent. So it very well may be that the base notes of The One got picked up again and somewhat amplified on my skin by the similar in common notes in Brit and detected by my nose.

I'm getting close to tracking down a bottle of Brit within a week or two so will test this theory and compare side by side to see if it's just cross mingling traces or similarities in notes independently between the two my nose is picking up.

I know I probably will get bashed by another Burberry comparison but I scored a practically full 100ml bottle of London from a local guy thinning his collection and it really strikes me as a 'lighter' and more youthful take on what is brought by Kors for Men on the dry down. Tops notes not so much but once you get past the fruity and spicy opening in London it really moves into a boozy and smokey place like Kors does without it being syrupy like the latter. I didn't like London at first in the store as cinnamon in a frag doesn't do anything for me but with a chance to explore it on my skin from a cheap addition to my wardrobe it really is a pleasant and unique experience.

So I expect more slamming on my comparison point of view again. LOL...go for it!
    Last edited by Pipsta; 1st September 2010 at 05:17 AM.

Finally scored myself a bottle of Brit and after a side by side testing on an arm each test I stand by my original assertion. Once the two dry down there is a very common thread running through both of them. Sure one is powdery and the other boozy. One is muted and understated the other is more bright and sweet but when you strip away the obvious differences the heart of the two that comes out during the dry down is similar.

No I'm not saying these two are 'the same', they aren't 'the same'. Similarities in the heart of the dry down... absolutely.

I will take The One or The One Gentlemen over Brit anytime.....I like Brit.....I just like The One and Gentlemen way better!!!
    Gary

I myself do not smell the match of the two. I have worn both many times and I can notice similarities with The One and La Nuit De L Homme (YSL). But everyone's nose is different. I notice a similar vibe with Brit and Chanel's Allure, except Brit is a little sweeter and has more powder, but there is something that reminds me of Allure when I wear Brit. Going back to "THe One", I would say that Cardamon is a note that sticks out to my nose a lot and any frag. that has it I am going to smell a resemblance.

I am definitely noticing similarities in the dry down between the one, brit, and la nuit. In fact, my wife could not notice a difference in the dry down of brit and la nuit...although she has a horrible nose.

I have been wearing these two quite a bit lately and the commonalities in the two are even more apparent to me. Again it's hard to tell ...er smell, because they are presented in two completely different ways. The very different top notes will lead a nose away from the similarities and disguise them.