Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Burberry Brit and D&G The One : Similarities or just my nose?

Whether they smell alike or not, I don't think The One is anything special (sorry Domenico and Stefano!) but Brit is an unsung jewel of a man's fragrance. If it were "niche" it would get raves.

brit is currently ranked number one in my wardrobe. i cannot say enough about it. its been at the top for me since the begining. the rose in the middle note is arguable the most beautiful thing i have ever smelled in my life.

i havent tried The One, but if it has any similarities, then it better be great

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by jonny19 View Post
    brit is currently ranked number one in my wardrobe. i cannot say enough about it. its been at the top for me since the begining. the rose in the middle note is arguable the most beautiful thing i have ever smelled in my life.

i havent tried The One, but if it has any similarities, then it better be great
    I too enjoy Brit. And that's the beauty of noses. I hardly smell the rose at all, and for the most part, I hate rose in a fragrance, rather I smell more of the spices in the midst of the powdery notes. ...The rose is probably what's giving off the powdery aspect. It's really good stuff. Definitely glad it's in my wardrobe. Cant wait till the weather gets cooler!

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    aaaa, ts-ts-ts-ts, you ol' grammar you
    I know. Grammar is silly. But if a person is going to tell someone not to be an ass...well, at least write it all out properly.

Maybe you were picking up on the amber/ambroxan in the base of each. At various times I've found myself a bit more sensitive than usual to specific chemicals and I would notice similarities between scents that few if anyone else noticed.

One in particular that I recall is the similarity between PR Ultraviolet Man and Tauer's LDDM. They both have a ton of an ambergris note - ambroxan I assume. Ultraviolet Man is a thinner, airier, sweeter scent while LDDM adds some tar and spice and is a bit more dense (but is also quite sweet), but they both have a very similar ambergris backbone running throughout.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Maybe you were picking up on the amber/ambroxan in the base of each. At various times I've found myself a bit more sensitive than usual to specific chemicals and I would notice similarities between scents that few if anyone else noticed.

One in particular that I recall is the similarity between PR Ultraviolet Man and Tauer's LDDM. They both have a ton of an ambergris note - ambroxan I assume. Ultraviolet Man is a thinner, airier, sweeter scent while LDDM adds some tar and spice and is a bit more dense (but is also quite sweet), but they both have a very similar ambergris backbone running throughout.
    Both have cardamon, ginger and cedarwood in their notes as well as one having orange blossom and the other green mandarin which both produce a kind of green orange note. Out of 9 and 10 notes for each of them they share about a third of their notes with identical ones. But people would rather have me believe my nose is broken instead of it possibly being really sensitive....lol.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I also remember that The One has a projection problem and is a close to skin scent, whilst Brit is quite loud-ish but in a decent manner.
    agreed. The One has no staying-power and projection..

I don't really see too many similarities. Brit is quite peppery, loud and shortlived while D&G The One is fruity, soft and shortlived.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Both have cardamon, ginger and cedarwood in their notes as well as one having orange blossom and the other green mandarin which both produce a kind of green orange note. Out of 9 and 10 notes for each of them they share about a third of their notes with identical ones. But people would rather have me believe my nose is broken instead of it possibly being really sensitive....lol.
    I'm not saying that at all. I've only smelled The One on a card and from that slight exposure I didn't pick up any great similarities to Brit, but that doesn't mean they're not there. Of course, on the flipside, two scents could list the exact same notes and smell completely different - proportion is everything. Besides, a notes list is not a definitive list of what is in the perfume. Scents may have a listed note of something that doesn't appear in the perfume at all, or may not list many notes that do appear. While note pyramids aren't completely useless, they are heavily influenced by marketing.

What I'm saying is that often times two scents that share a certain chemical jump out at me the same way, even when all of the supporting notes/chemicals/accords are substantially different. That is often times why some people find two scents to share similarities that the majority of BNers find to be nothing alike. It comes down to the granularity of observation. When looking at the big picture the two scents may be divergent enough that the masses do not find them similar (as seems to be the case with these two scents, judging by the majority of replies here) and yet when one shifts to a finer granularity of observation, there may be significant similarities that are overlooked by most (as they focus on the not insignificant differences).

That's all I'm saying.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Kerosene

Quote Originally Posted by MassMenace View Post
    I don't really see too many similarities. Brit is quite peppery, loud and shortlived while D&G The One is fruity, soft and shortlived.

=)
    Brit is peppery and shortlived? Do you mean The Beat? Just curious cause I dont smell any pepper in Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    agreed. The One has no staying-power and projection..
    Actually it depends on the skin and temperature. I feel The One is not a fall/winter scent that D&G wanted it to be. BUT in the heat I get 9-11 hours with it(8 of those hours are office temp). Now the project is ok at best but still easily detectable in a walk by. I personally don't like anything powdery which is the main reason I don't like Brit or any other powder scent out there.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Brit is peppery and shortlived? Do you mean The Beat? Just curious cause I dont smell any pepper in Brit.
    Meant "powdery". And yes, the Beat makes me sneeze! Great scent though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    + Brit is not shortlived, at least on me.

I've been wearing The One quite a bit lately and I've been noticing that though it has sillage and projection issues the longevity on the skin and clothes aren't part of that. I've even picked up whiffs of it on my skin a day or so later even after showering and applying another scent. So it very well may be that the base notes of The One got picked up again and somewhat amplified on my skin by the similar in common notes in Brit and detected by my nose.

I'm getting close to tracking down a bottle of Brit within a week or two so will test this theory and compare side by side to see if it's just cross mingling traces or similarities in notes independently between the two my nose is picking up.

I know I probably will get bashed by another Burberry comparison but I scored a practically full 100ml bottle of London from a local guy thinning his collection and it really strikes me as a 'lighter' and more youthful take on what is brought by Kors for Men on the dry down. Tops notes not so much but once you get past the fruity and spicy opening in London it really moves into a boozy and smokey place like Kors does without it being syrupy like the latter. I didn't like London at first in the store as cinnamon in a frag doesn't do anything for me but with a chance to explore it on my skin from a cheap addition to my wardrobe it really is a pleasant and unique experience.

So I expect more slamming on my comparison point of view again. LOL...go for it!
    Last edited by Pipsta; 1st September 2010 at 04:17 AM.

Finally scored myself a bottle of Brit and after a side by side testing on an arm each test I stand by my original assertion. Once the two dry down there is a very common thread running through both of them. Sure one is powdery and the other boozy. One is muted and understated the other is more bright and sweet but when you strip away the obvious differences the heart of the two that comes out during the dry down is similar.

No I'm not saying these two are 'the same', they aren't 'the same'. Similarities in the heart of the dry down... absolutely.

I will take The One or The One Gentlemen over Brit anytime.....I like Brit.....I just like The One and Gentlemen way better!!!
    Gary

I myself do not smell the match of the two. I have worn both many times and I can notice similarities with The One and La Nuit De L Homme (YSL). But everyone's nose is different. I notice a similar vibe with Brit and Chanel's Allure, except Brit is a little sweeter and has more powder, but there is something that reminds me of Allure when I wear Brit. Going back to "THe One", I would say that Cardamon is a note that sticks out to my nose a lot and any frag. that has it I am going to smell a resemblance.

I am definitely noticing similarities in the dry down between the one, brit, and la nuit. In fact, my wife could not notice a difference in the dry down of brit and la nuit...although she has a horrible nose.

I have been wearing these two quite a bit lately and the commonalities in the two are even more apparent to me. Again it's hard to tell ...er smell, because they are presented in two completely different ways. The very different top notes will lead a nose away from the similarities and disguise them.