Code of Conduct

Default MFK Cologne or Absolue

I want to get Cologne pour le Soir or Absolue pour le Soir. I tested the Absolue in the store and it hung with me all day. I have a sample of the Cologne and it is lighter and does not project as well. It also does not last as long. My question is this, does the Absolue have too much prescence and project too well. I do not want to be "the guy" that people smell before they see. I am interested in your thought, opinions, and advice before I make the purchase.

Thanks guys!

I went to Neiman Marcus to get one of the MFK pour le Soir and the next thing I know I am checking out Clive Christian C and then comparing it to Tom Ford Tuscon Leather. Then sampling Oud Wood by tom Ford and I walked out with Tuscon Leather in my right hand and a bunch of samples in my left hand and very pleased with myself. MFK will have his day, but it was a Tom Ford day today. I have to give props to Clive Christian C. slightly better than Tuscon Leather but not worth the price difference.
    Last edited by digger51; 8th February 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: update
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Sur la Plage

Default Re: MFK Cologne or Absolue

I love both, but if forced to choose one I would go with Absolue pour le Soir. Just apply a small amount - it's all that is needed.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love them both but I would go with Absolue, a little goes a long way or is just right.

It's something you have to decide on your own through testing, see what works for you. From what I read on the boards, the Absolue is enjoyed more, but the Cologne is easier to wear, and more versatile.

well, congrats on the purchase. I would have chosen Tuscan Leather as well (though not over CPLS) My slight preference is the Cologne version... it radiates beautifully off the skin in my experience.
    Last edited by nthny; 9th February 2011 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    It's something you have to decide on your own through testing, see what works for you. From what I read on the boards, the Absolue is enjoyed more, but the Cologne is easier to wear, and more versatile.
    I was able to get some samples of Absolue to go with my sample cologne to try out and see which is better. In the mean time I have Tuscon Leather to play with.

4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I want to get Cologne pour le Soir or Absolue pour le Soir. I tested the Absolue in the store and it hung with me all day. I have a sample of the Cologne and it is lighter and does not project as well. It also does not last as long. My question is this, does the Absolue have too much prescence and project too well. I do not want to be "the guy" that people smell before they see.
    I think that's exactly who you'd be. The two fragrances aren't just different concentrations, they're different FORMULATIONS as well.

To me, the Absolue is a very well constructed fragrance, and very interesting to sample and experiment with, as a matter of enjoying the art of perfumery. But in real world scenerio's I find it difficult or impossible to wear, it's just too dirty and animalistic.

The Cologne on the other hand, has some of that vibe, but wears a bit lighter and in a manner that is wearable and not an atomic weapon of sillage to those around you. That's not to say it's a 'light' wearing fragrance, it is most certainly not. To me it wears quite thick and heavy, with just enough sillage.

If you want to sample something VERY light and airy from MFK try Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. If you compare that to Cologne plS the Cologne plS seems super thick and rich in fragrance and sillage.

In summary, I would wear (and do wear) the Cologne pour le Soir in many circumstances to many places, but I simply would never put on the Absolue in any circumstance outside of simply appreciating it's complexity for my own personal amusement.

To me it does make a big difference in perceiving the Absolue whether you apply only a mist on your upper body or spritz it directly on the neck or chest.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have a sample of Absolue Pour Le Soir. It is smooth, I don't find it that animalic or dirty at all. But I agree, this is potent stuff. A little goes a long way. So you only need a little dab at the most. If I have to spring for a full bottle, I'd pick the Cologne version.

Congrats on your Tuscan Leather purchase, btw. I'm sure it's a worthy buy.

I own both so here is what I've found for myself, your mileage may vary.

Cologne pour le Soir is easily the more wearable of the two fragrances. It is designed for evening and night but, honestly, it is as versatile as Le Male. I've not met an evening situation yet where it's not appropriate and in the PacNW, there are many daytime uses for it too. The Absolute is a tricky beast on the other hand, but, when correctly done, it really sasses. If oversprayed, and it does not take much, AplS smells literally like cow cr*p for about 10 minutes under certain conditions. Even with that eccentricity, I actually like the smell of AplS better. I just rarely have a use for it. How's that for an olfactory paradox?

I think there is a reason CplS is available in a 200ml bottle: it is going to get used and used hard. If I didn't have some of my evening Amouages, I would wear it nearly every night.

Part of the genius of both CplS and AplS is how well they merge with their morning/daytime counterparts. CplM and AplM have a drydown that by the end of the day merges seamlessly and beautifully with the new app of the evening's fragrance. MFK did an incredible job in my opinion.

My vote: Cologne pour le Soir. And when summer hits, Cologne pour le Matin to compliment.

As always, that's simply a summary of my opinions and experiences so please take it with your own grains of salt. You're a winner with either choice.

Regards,
    Daryl J.

I'm in the same boat as those that say the cologne is more wearable. I absolute(ly) love the absolute, but I'd much rather weather the cologne version. The cologne version might not "stand out" but it's really special to me, as it's soft, dark and long lasting (24 hours+).

Also, the absolute could potentially offend some people with sensitive noses (if you're worried about that kind of thing). I detect a fair amount of civet, cumin and benzoin (which can smell very "human).
    Sales thread here

I have been using the AplS and my CplS over the last couple of days and I have discovered they are quite different. My initial impression was that the Absolue was a "beefed" up Cologne, but that is not really the truth. It is similar but not just stronger. They really are two different products for different occasions.

I have decided to get CplS first since it is more versitle and I have 5 sample vials of AplS that will last a long time. I want to thank you guys for great input and helping me to clarify in my mind which way I need to go. In the end I will own both of these all stars and most likely get Pour Le Matin as well. IMO MFK has done a fantastic job in designing this line and needs to be ranked up top with the top houses.

4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel