Code of Conduct

Default Just ordered some Creed Virgin Island Water

Hi,

I just ordered some Creed Virgin Island Water.

I've wanted a Creed fragrance for a while, but was a bit disappointed when I tried some of the 'big name' scents on my skin. Green Irish Tweed for example, smelt too much like an older guy's scent (I'm 21) and Himalaya smelt a bit like soap/ a scented candle. Of the ones I tried, VIW seemed the nicest, but they didn't have any in stock so I ordered some this evening.

I mainly wear Viktor and Rolf's Antidote. But I also have Chanel Allure Homme Sport and Platinum Egoiste.

Did I make a good decision do you think? I'm not sure now considering the cost.

Also, can it be worn in autumn/winter or is it just a spring/summer scent?

And as a side note, why is it that so many people seem to dislike the 2 Chanel fragrances I have. Do people really find them that bad?

Cheers,

Volker
    Last edited by Volker; 23rd August 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: Just ordered some Creed Virgin Island Water

As someone who owns lots of Creed, and who likes VIW, Platinum Egoiste is excellent.

It is pricey but I think you'll like it. I'm a recent convert now that it got hot here and I quite like it (now, disregard that I'm an older guy, Volker. It's not a "mature" scent.)

It is surprisingly longer last than I thought it would be on me. Usually, those kind of scents that open with a big citrus note disappear pretty fast.

It's a great scent if you want that kind of tropical vibe. I think it's a better warm weather scent, but you may like it year round. It's your call.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 23rd August 2010 at 01:18 AM.

Banned

i don't think you made the right choice.

VIW is definitely younger, but it's also very specific to the beach, in my opinion.

i think Aventus, Original Santal, or Silver Mountain Water would be more up your alley.

Platinum Egoiste is kind of powdery to me, softly and elegant smelling but in a bad way, as if you can't stand up for yourself.
    Quite feminine to. This is just my opinion though, might be great for others.

Allure Homme is way better for my taste.

Was it a good decision to buy VIW? If this is your favorite Creed, why not?

Great choice. You'll like it.

I think you made a good choice....I really liked VIW. The only knock I would give it is that I think it not the most versatile (seems really suited to summertime/going to the beach/tropical vacation things like that. That being said, if I owned a bottle, like you now will, I'm sure I would come up with good times to wear it!

As for your two Chanel, I think Homme Sport is ok, not really my style but I love Platinum Egoiste as it's one of my all-time favorites!

I think you'll like it, and worst case scenerio, I'm sure you could find willing buyers in case you want to sell it later on here. Don't worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eroma View Post
    i don't think you made the right choice.

VIW is definitely younger, but it's also very specific to the beach, in my opinion.

i think Aventus, Original Santal, or Silver Mountain Water would be more up your alley.
    you have to have a festive vibe to wear viw, it is more for a special occasion, i would even argue origina vetiver and millesime imperial would work for him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Volker View Post

And as a side note, why is it that so many people seem to dislike the 2 Chanel fragrances I have. Do people really find them that bad?

Cheers,

Volker
    Well I really like Platinum Égoïste and i think Allure Homme Sport is a very good daily scent and i also happen to like Antidote, so there's one more fan at least...

Did you make a good decision? Only if it's truly a pleasure to wear for you, if a scent is really good for you it shouldn't matter how much you'd pay (so says a fragrance fanatic such as myself)

I think VIW is mainly considered a summer scent, but of course you can wear it anytime you like.

For example i like to wear Vetiver Eau Glacée and Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe in the winter. But that's just a personal choice of course.

cheers

Hi,

I just ordered some Creed Virgin Island Water...

Of the ones I tried, VIW seemed the nicest, ...

Since it seemed the nicest one to you and your nose, it was the best decision you could have made as to picking a scent. Regarding price, that's something to weigh yourself--if you're ready to pay to smell of it, you made an excellent decision.

It can be worn anytime/season you want to smell of it. Clearly you like it and it makes you happy.

Enjoy it!

About Chanel or anything else, people like what they do and dislike what they do. What matters is what you like, so your Chanels are top notch for you for sure.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

VIW is a fun fragrance. I wish it lasted longer on me. I also wish it had less lime and more of something else. A more complex design/craftsmanship and greater longevity would make it worth the cost. Still, it's a mini-vacation in a bottle; even expensive like one.

Good picks all around, I say. VIW is one of the best summer scents around. As for the Chanel frags you own, they are solid, competent and well-done scents. I own Allure Sport and like it very much, Egoiste Platinum I will probably own someday too. They're easy for haters to bash on because they're popular and "fresh" like a lot of other fragrances out there, but in my opinion they are both a step above most of the mainstream stuff out there.

Default cancel

I just ordered some Creed Virgin Island Water.
    ... people seem to dislike the 2 Chanel fragrances I have. Do people really find them that bad?
    Hi Volker,

what You are sampling now is called "cognitive dissonance" (wiki):

A powerful cause of dissonance is an idea in conflict with a fundamental element of the self-concept, such as "I am a good person" or "I made the right decision." The anxiety that comes with the possibility of having made a bad decision can lead to rationalization, the tendency to create additional reasons or justifications to support one's choices.

So, as You are not really confident about the purchase of Your next iteration into costly fragrances Your decision has been wrong in the first place. You didn't think it over to the end, did You? Alas, as far as I'm familiar with the Creed thing Your decision has been not so well done in the second place either. Creed makes it to pull people into the idea of choosing a well respected top notch product. But it is so rather by design of the public image than by quality of the juice. And before Creed lovers rant about that: quality is a matter of subjective liking and taste, so please don't debate it! There is no inherenct quality in a concoction.

The corollary could be that You accidentially like the juice, maybe the more the longer You hold it, maybe You get bored in a sudden once You hold it as an owner.
    That could and should have been investigated by a sample enough to have a "full wear" of the frag 10 times over some weaks or so.

I'm on the Creed track myself. I'm very keen on smelling a Creed that brings that weirdness that has to be expected from an ancient frag back from 1780 or so. Next time downtown I'll take a sniff or two.

ps: the Chanels are neither vintage nor outstanding (means special, weired), but again, if You like it, what shalls?!

This is my all-time favorite Creed of the ones I've smelled... I would probably only recommend this for hot weather however cause the fragrance certainly suits it best. Excellent buy, imo!!!
    ***Top (favorite) 5 Frags in my Own Personal Collection***
    5. Man Eau Fraiche by Versace
    4. Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana
    3. La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2. Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari
    1. Angel Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Youtube Fragrance Reviews... with a twist at the end! www.youtube.com/user/jaironhoward
    FOLLOW ME!!! www.twitter.com/JaironHoward

MY WARDROBE: http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/

Banned

Default Re: cancel

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Hi Volker,

what You are sampling now is called "cognitive dissonance"
    i think it's more along the lines of "buyer's remorse".

cognitive dissonance is when a new set of facts contradicts one's past pattern of behavior/belief, causing a schism (or "dissonance"). from there, one can do the hard thing and admit that they have been wrong, and work to change. or take the easy way out, and double-down on their erroneous ways while ignoring the fact that they are wrong. see: Bush re-election 2004 ;-)

I love love LOVE VIW!! It would be the frag I wear more often than anything if it didn't wear off so fast. And I think roping scents into seasons is just dumb. If you wanna wear it, wear it. It's yours, you paid for it, you can do what you want. And how awesome to smell like the islands in the dead of winter?!

A very fine choice! Creed is showing a real talent recently with some of their fruit rich creations...VIW, AVENTUS, etc.

I tried a sample of VIW again today and came to the same conclusion - I like it.

That said, I have changed my order from a 120ml to a 75ml. I think my concern was that, with autumn/winter approaching, I wouldn't be able to wear it very frequently and that I'd have wasted money on an extra 45ml just to reduce the unit cost.

However, I did put the saving towards a 75ml Silver Mountain Water (another fragrance that I like) - which seems is more suited to autumn or spring.

Banned

That said, I have changed my order from a 120ml to a 75ml. I think my concern was that, with autumn/winter approaching, I wouldn't be able to wear it very frequently and that I'd have wasted money on an extra 45ml just to reduce the unit cost.

However, I did put the saving towards a 75ml Silver Mountain Water (another fragrance that I like) - which seems is more suited to autumn or spring.
    that is just excellent decision-making right there...

Wise move. I'm shocked how much I like VIW. Nothing I had read prepared me for how much it has grown on me, especially in hot weather. Surprising longevity too.

I tried VIW yesterday when I picked up my Aventus at NM. It was really nice IMHO. I came into NM with intent of picking up Aventus, and was not going to stray from that, but maaaaan....that one spray of VIW on the back of my hand had me hooked. I tried it a year or two ago on a card and immediately dismissed it because I thought it smelled of STRAIGHT coconut...boy was that a mistake.

The main thing that had me mesmerized about it must've been the lime note at the top (about 5 min in). It had this sorta "soda-like" fizz thing going on and I just thought it was superb. Later into the drydown, though, I must say that it did begin to smell a TAD too sugary sweet on my skin, but it easily lasted over 8 hours on my hand and a lady made a positive comment on it around that 8 hour mark, so its good quality IMO.

Although I found the drydown just a bit sweet for my tastes, I still have to say that I do like it enough to buy it. The only thing justifying me not purchasing it NOW is the upcoming fall/winter season, as it doesn't seem to "match" the upcoming weather. Many people would disagree, saying that a fragrance should be worn anytime you want, but I prefer my scents to 'blend' with my surroundings. VIW, as many have noted, has a distinct summery/beachy feel to it, and while beautiful, just seems out of place for the winter when people walk around with coats and scarves. While sitting and socializing in a room full of my peers in the colder months, I feel wearing VIW would come off as begging for attention, but that's ME. And that isn't to say its heavy, cuz I don't think it is, just out of place.

Who knows, though....maybe that smell would elicit positive thoughts and memories about the summer, and might be "awesome in the dead of winter" as blondex199667 stated above. So I'm glad you went ahead and got it...let us know how it works out for you in the cold.

I could not get the association with Malibu and suntan lotion out of my head when I tried this, a bit to exotic for my tastes. A good buy though if you like that type of scent.

Exactly the same for me Jackhunter , I dont get any of the fruity notes from the official profile . Just coconut suntan lotion

Sur la Plage

VIW is one of the better Creed releases.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

VIW is an excellent scent definitely for summer only! Longevity on me is usually 6-8 hours so no problem is that department...

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    VIW is one of the better Creed releases.

Virgin Island Water has a great opening. I believe you can wear any scent at anytime and anywhere - if you are confident enough to pull it off. But this scent? It is very evocative of the beach and of summer because of the notes.

I really like this scent. I am not sure if I would wear it in any season other than Summer - but I might be happy to wear it all Summer.

As for Aventus - don't believe the hype. At least test it before buying.

I tried this just before visiting the Virgin islands and during my time there i did wish I had made the purchase before going there - it definitely fit the bill.
    Last edited by Rescentment; 10th February 2011 at 02:53 PM.