Code of Conduct

Default What is your Favorite Mostly Synthetic Fragrance

It may be like liquid plastic in a bottle, but we like it ....

Jacomo Rouge

Animale Animale
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: What is your Favorite Mostly Synthetic Fragrance

Secretions Magnifique, outragious!

I'm certain a large number of my favorite scent are over 50% synthetic, but just to be sure, I'll add one favorite of mine I'm pretty sure is 100% Synthetic:

Bogart Pour Homme

Stetson

Basenotes Institution

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garcons

Sur la Plage

Green Irish Tweed
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Kouros I enjoy but strikes me as very synthetic.

S-eX is my favorite most synthetic fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Green Irish Tweed
    Huh?

From the Creed website:
    "A house of tradition, CREED adheres to unrelenting high standards in fragrance creation and client service. CREED uses methods of hand production, including maceration and filtration, instituted at the company's founding. CREED is the industry's strongest proponent of natural ingredients in fragrance."
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Paco Rabane Ultraviolet Man, my Favorite and Completely Synthetic

the rare mineral ambergris (WTF???) masculine, sensual, woody-amber undertones blended with liquid mint, organic vetiver, and moss crystals.

love it

Vertical Limit

Mugler Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Huh?

From the Creed website:
    "A house of tradition, CREED adheres to unrelenting high standards in fragrance creation and client service. CREED uses methods of hand production, including maceration and filtration, instituted at the company's founding. CREED is the industry's strongest proponent of natural ingredients in fragrance."
    Ya I don't get GIT being synthetic either, unless he is joking. Although the metallic accord may come off as synthetic, but the fragrance itself is quite natural..

Wicken 3000 by Six Scents
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Escada's Magnetism for Men. Most frags I consider clearly "synthetic" I never want to wear, but this one works.

Montale Red Aoud. I don't know what the hell is in there that gives me a cherry-chocolate synthetic vibe, but hey at the same time it smells synthetic.

Than that, probably anything by the house of Davidoff, which is a cheap house I like. I only wish Davidoff brought their super luxurious smoking accessories quality to their perfumes.

Terre d'Hermes

I'd probably have to say "Le Male".

Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    Paco Rabane Ultraviolet Man, my Favorite and Completely Synthetic

the rare mineral ambergris (WTF???) masculine, sensual, woody-amber undertones blended with liquid mint, organic vetiver, and moss crystals.

love it
    Now there is a blast from the past. I think I will dig my bottle out of the closet and give it a go. Just for old times sake.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Back on topic. Escentric 01. 2nd place goes to Odeur 53.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Nothing much in Infusion D'Homme smells particularly natural. Still one of my favorites. Platinum Egoiste is another.

D&G - The One for men

Sung Homme!

Several Kenzo scents smell particulary syntetic to me, and yet I really like them. I think the original Kenzo Pour Homme has nothing natural, and still it's one of the best sea notes you can smell in a fragrance. L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme is completely syntetic as well, and I really enjoy that too.
    I recently sampled some Body Shop fragrances: although they are completely syntetic, and you can really tell, I like their White Musk series! The Musk for Men is particularly nice, one of the best cheap thrills around!
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Sur la Plage

Huh?

From the Creed website:
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Ya I don't get GIT being synthetic either, unless he is joking. Although the metallic accord may come off as synthetic, but the fragrance itself is quite natural..
    Because I knew I would get someone to take the bait and say "But Creed only uses natural ingredients....".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bond no 9 Bleecker Street

DeepSilence

Dunhill(2003)

Givenchy Pi

Le Male
    Acqua di Gi˛ is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Does anyone know when synthetics started to be used in a majority of fragrances? Was it during the 80's?

Does anyone know when synthetics started to be used in a majority of fragrances? Was it during the 80's?
    Late 1800s, give or take a few years. 1882's Fougere Royale is the earliest one I can think of with a named and well-known synthetic ingredient. By the 1920s and era of Chanel No. 5, fragrances with large amounts of synthetics were normal.

Yeah, the truth is you could name just about any fragrance and it would fall under the umbrella of "mostly synthetic." I'm guessing designer fare is typically 85% plus synthetic. Of course, there's a lot of niche stuff that's just as synthetic, although a few brands seem to have more natural content (of course, it may just be perception, or it may be the same amount of naturals by percent but simply higher quality/more expensive naturals are being used, etc).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Yeah, the truth is you could name just about any fragrance and it would fall under the umbrella of "mostly synthetic." I'm guessing designer fare is typically 85% plus synthetic. Of course, there's a lot of niche stuff that's just as synthetic, although a few brands seem to have more natural content (of course, it may just be perception, or it may be the same amount of naturals by percent but simply higher quality/more expensive naturals are being used, etc).
    Wow! I had no idea. As far as the synthetics used, do they also have varying quality? Are the synthetics used in Guerlain fragrances higher quality than those used in Jacomo fragrances?

I've no doubt that Guerlain uses higher quality and more costly materials (usually, at least) than Jacomo.

When providing perfumers with the perfume brief, companies specify not only the ideas, thoughts, images, etc. related to the scent they are envisioning, but a very firm price that relates to the maximum cost the concentrate can cost per some volume of juice (I think it's either price per liter or price per bottle). So, perfumers know, right from the minute they begin working on the scent, what this restriction is and have to choose their materials (and perhaps even the structure of the scent) accordingly.

Having something like an extra dollar to work with per bottle can make an extraordinary difference in the materials chosen. As far as I understand, usually this simply means the perfumer can choose higher quality synthetics.. but even those can make all the difference. Imagine if a perfumer was forced to cheapen his rose accord by being forced to omit some synthetics that give it depth and a sense of naturalness. You might still have a rose, but a flat, lifeless rose note instead of a soaring and lively one.

This is why it's never a good idea to judge a perfumer based on their commercial work. It can be enlightening to see what they do with such limitations and restrictions, but surely the perfumer has been forced to make many many compromises that are likely not so restricting when they are working with a renowned niche brand.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sculpture, thanks for sharing all the information about the business side of perfume making. Very interesting.

Well, when an EdT (maybe 5-8% oils) lasts 8-10 hours or more with good projection, and my 20% strength (EdP or even Parfum strength) all natural blends last maybe 5 hours with an hour or two of good projection, it's easy to see just how much synthetics are at work!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Aren't most fragrances mostly synthetic? And yes, GIT smells very synthetic to me; doesn't it rely heavily on dihydromyrcenol?

Odeur 53 by far, but also Montana Parfum de Peau.

Silver Scent. Smells very synthetic, but I like it.

Black Suede Touch by Avon- synthetic notes with a surprisingly clean and crisp soapy twist

Odeur 53 by CdG

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Well, when an EdT (maybe 5-8% oils) lasts 8-10 hours or more with good projection, and my 20% strength (EdP or even Parfum strength) all natural blends last maybe 5 hours with an hour or two of good projection, it's easy to see just how much synthetics are at work!
    This is exactly why natural does not necessarily mean better.