Code of Conduct

Default Just starting out

Hey guys,

Didn't want to post in the newbie forum as that seemed to be more of a mixed bag.

Background -- Upperclassman at a U.S. university starting work in NYC upon graduation. I'm looking for something that I can wear fairly regularly, as well as a few seasonal ones I can try on from time to time.

Pricing point isn't an issue, although I'd rather not pay $1k for 1.7 oz's of some boutique fluid.

Have tried Acqua di Gio and some other generic ones, but they are all a tad on the floral / feminine side. Also tried Fahrenheit 32 by Dior, but I couldn't stand it (it smelled like a leather shoe). Looking for a few recommendations on masculine scents that aren't overpowering -- i.e. not synthetic a la Axe body spray; but I also don't want to smell like a bomber jacket or a pine tree.

I've done a fair bit of research and have heard good things about Creed fragrances (Millesime Imperial and Green Irish Tweed). I'm also looking into Bel Ami, Terre d'Hermes, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver / Guerlain Vetiver, and Rive Gauche from YSL. Is there any way I can get samples of these? Checked around a few department stores yesterday and they're missing a few of these. Willing to pay for samples or w/e if that's a problem

Thanks,
    GST

Blog Entries

Default Re: Just starting out

One of the best way to try frags without buying full bottles is by buying decants. Check out the Marketplace threads here on Basenotes, and also over at Crystal Flacon. PM me if you want some more specific recommendations.

l'instant de guerlain pour homme. thats it. without a doubt

Terre d'Hermes would be a good choice.

Welcome!

Habit Rouge by Guerlain. A citrus leather with a light vanilla base. A classic. You can buy this is discount for under $45 USD at some e-tailers.

Bel Ami is also a classic leather and relatively inexpensive. Also, do not overlook Equipage, another Hermes classic.

Hermes boutiques might give out samples in brick-and-mortar stores (they gave out the parfum version of Terre d'Hermes), and you can sample Habit Rouge at Guerlain counters in department stores.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

We don't know your location so unclear if any of the niche scents like Creed are available near you.

Typically, the high end niche scents you'll often see discussed here are available at Saks, Nieman Marcus or Barneys which are mostly in the larger cities. If you get into New York at all now, most anything can be found somewhere. There is also a store in NY called Aedes de Venustas that offers a good range of some of the harder to find niche scents.

The Perfumed Court is another great source for samples if you're unable to sample in store.

I would toss out to you a handful, some of which you seem to already be considering:

Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Millesime Imperiale
    Creed Aventus
    L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Penhaligons Endymion

These are all solid, well designed, well established scents appropriate for your age I would say. All are maculine and not overpowering. But you should sample for yourself.

In time if you hang in here, and as you sample, you'll develop a knack for spotting other scents you want to check out- niche or designer.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 25th August 2010 at 02:41 AM.