Code of Conduct

Thread: Aramis 900

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aramis 900

I would like to get 900, however I found two different versions for sale. Curiously, the newer version (shorter, black box) listed “Oakmoss”, while the older one (tall blue, thinly striped box) did not. Did the older one not include Oakmoss? Is there any difference in the juice?

DeepSilence

Default Re: Aramis 900

It had Oakmoss at first. It's woody Chypre. Oakmoss is one of chief part of any Chypre.
    I don't have any idea about the box.

Post Thanks / Like

Older packaging did not have to list ingredients. Vintage and new both contain oakmoss. Both are good but vintage is best.

Oakmoss is restricted, not banned.
    Perfumers can still use oakmoss, just not as much as they did. Almost every natural ingredient is restricted or banned these days. There are many reasons why recent reformulations are often completely fucked. Oakmoss is just one part of it. The newest Aramis fragrances are ok, though not as good as the vintage versions.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th February 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They only list ingredients that are required to be displayed by law. Before, oakmoss was just considered a harmless fragrance. We now that if you apply it regularly to your skin, all your teeth will fall out and you'll grow breasts. Or something like that. So it has to be listed to warn people.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember this one when it was introduced as 'Herbal" along with "Chromatics" in the '70's. It was too sweet for me then and, I am sure, it would be too sweet (cloying) for me now. Chromatics would have been the better choice for me. "Short, sharp, shocked", it would have been fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

This one has been around for a long time, so there are a few different versions available. I have the tall ridged bottle EDT made in the USA as well as the one made in the UK and their corresponding aftershaves. (and there is at least one older version in different bottle and packaging)

The only difference I can perceive between the two versions I own is that in the top notes in the older made in USA version smells something like a bitter floral liqueur, while the newer UK version smells harsher and "greener" to me. But this is really only for the first five minutes, the drydowns of both are identical to my nose and both outrageously good.

The version in the new packaging I don't own yet, but I tested it once and it seemed sound to me...I'll buy it eventually when I start getting low on the older stuff.

I'm just so grateful that Aramis continues to make 900. It must be a good seller for them to have re-introduced it as part of the Gentleman's Collection, and I'm glad for it because it's my number one favorite fragrance and one of those rare older classics that, I feel, has remained true.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I remember this one when it was introduced as 'Herbal" along with "Chromatics" in the '70's. It was too sweet for me then and, I am sure, it would be too sweet (cloying) for me now. Chromatics would have been the better choice for me. "Short, sharp, shocked", it would have been fabulous!
    fraddicted, are there certain notes or an accord at play in 900 that you find "cloying"? I'm just curious to know how you perceive it because one of the features of 900 I love is that I don't sense any softness or sweetness to it. Like Caron Yatagan, I smell an bitter edginess to it all the way through.

Chromatics was discontinued long before I was wearing cologne, but I would have loved to smell it.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Of all the civet-laden fragrances, this (assumingly civet-free scent) talks to me and says: "yours fecally"!

Let me first say that I love this fragrance and I have a back up of old packaging!

But I think I know what fraddicted is talking about. I do think that the orris comes across very thick and damp and combined with the particular rendition of the vetiver and moss base may be a bit...how should I put it...yes, "too thick" like a blanket. But this, without the scent losing its fresh and light nature!
    I wish I could explain better but I get the same feeling from Eau Sauvage when I'm more active and my skin temperature is high. This by no means is a negative to me and is part of the charm, where without the use of animalics, there exists a sweaty/animalic edge--like when you wish you had fewer layers of clothing on. I receive compliments with this scent.

I'm also very grateful to hear that the re-launch of these Aramis scents have been successful and faithful to the originals.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    We now that if you apply it regularly to your skin, all your teeth will fall out and you'll grow breasts. Or something like that. So it has to be listed to warn people.
    I hope you are joking. most of the time i wear something with Oakmoss base

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    I hope you are joking. most of the time i wear something with Oakmoss base
    I don't think we should worry as it's the synthetic oakmoss and not the natural one.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    All versions (newest included) contain lots of oakmoss. All versions are good, but vintage is still best.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    But I think I know what fraddicted is talking about. I do think that the orris comes across very thick and damp and combined with the particular rendition of the vetiver and moss base may be a bit...how should I put it...yes, "too thick" like a blanket. But this, without the scent losing its fresh and light nature!
    Ah yes, that makes sense to me. That is exactly how I perceive it: thick, damp, yet fresh...I can see how it could be too "heavy".

I think it’s great that we can still have conversations on these classics that Aramis / Lauder did not discontinue. One of the most positive things that happened last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of buying Aramis 900 buy Clinique's Aeromatic Elixir. It smells exactly the same as 900 but is much stronger.
    Awesomeguy

Post Thanks / Like

Gentleman, thank you all so very much for your insight. I’ll look forward to getting a vintage version.

i have a bottle of aramis 900 herbal from the seventies.very vintage. i dont like it. you can buy mine from me very cheap. private message me. id love to trade this away but ill sell it cheaply as i need the shelf space.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    ... Clinique's Aeromatic Elixir ... smells exactly the same as 900 but is much stronger.
    While this is true, I see it as a reason to prefer A900.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE