Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Creed testified at last - Erolfa / Tabarome / Silver Mountain Water

Hi there,

I've sniffed Creed today at last. The SA was very eager to pull me in. Each scent was accompanied by a story of what it shoulld resemble.

Erolfa: seabreeze - o/k, not for me. No salt nothing but some nasty aromachemicals. I didn't get the picture. I honestly tried, really! It was just a "No", I came back to it later and it stayed just that. May be I've lost the personal reference of my own Atlantic experiences, but that's quite improbable. May be the imagination is wrong on that, and it isn't meant that way at all. But, I just didn't get it.

Silver Mountain Water: a waterfall in the Rockies according to the SA - not for me. It was a pale aldehydic sparkled and tamed at once by helional or something. Very unpleasent due to its overt chemical construction that was additionally felt as simple. I'm not the perfect nose, so take care! I must have missed something, it was just very plain without a knack. No pine or something. Just dry flowerish aldehydes plus don't know.

Tabarome (don't exactly know which, but should have cost 150++$, millisime?): Tabacco - o/k, I've got some fermented leaves, that is a picture that fits. Underneath there is something dry. A not too overt layer of aroma, maybe cold ash? The best so far. But the top was drenched in alcohol, synthetic. That might occure with natural smells as well, if isolated (violet leaves). In this case I was sure, that this Tabarome is an utter contemporary concoction, means 1980+, not vintage or ancient.

But then We went over to Lubin, Idole: rum plus orange plus something that filled it up. To polished for my taste.

The SA went crazy on me. The Xclusive line of Nassamoto for an other price tag. I liked it. And it went on, the Creeds were all forgotten. Then at last I saw the Caron line there. Let's sniff a reference! Yatagan: great on the first sniff and it remained so while the Nassamoto devoloped camphorous aspects in comparison, unbalanced was my verdict then. Caron 3rd man: wowey, how beeeuutyfull BIG SMILE!

I came back to Erolfa, that was worse than in the beginning, sniffed some Xclusive Nassamoto including Black Afghane that smelled of patchouli plus woody amber. He never inhaled for sure ...

Conclusion: in spite of visiting a shop of tremendous possibilities the classics outperformed the Xclusive line of Nassamoto and the so often promoted Creed by lengths. It was not only that the Carons were more familiar, but they brought the message just to the point, they were complex, balanced, hence "natural" of a kind.

O/k, at least I went home with Comme Des Garcons #53. Good shop, really. Didn't get the Creeds. To simple at last, but isn't every fragrances prize tag pervert?

Default Re: Creed testified at last - Erolfa / Tabarome / Silver Mountain Water

Sorry to hear you didn`t like the Creeds. Both Erolfa and Tabarome Millesime are some of my favourite fragrances. Yes, Erolfa smells a bit strange if you only smell it from the bottle. You have to test it on your skin, to get the real experience with Erolfa. I absolutely love the smell of real sea-salt/ sea-breeze, and I think Creed has manage to capture that experience in Erolfa. Tabarome Millesime is also a wonderful scent. English club luxury at its best! Fresh and warm at the same time. Extremely elegant.

Man lol I personally don't see all the hype that follows Creed. I have done plenty of video reviews on them and people actually hate me for them. They are just like any other niche company when you really think about it they just have a lot of fanboys. Most of these niche companies will only have 1 or 2 fragrances(if any) that any one person may really like.

SMW- Ink and silverwear.... nuff said and its unique but not really the best to actually wear around... atleast not at my age.

Erolfa- Nice BUT I will spend my $$$ on Bvlgari AQVA and AQVA Marine way before I buy Erolfa for $250-$280.

Tabarome- A lot fo ppl like this and I can see why but for me I get public restroom toliet water/urinal scent. BUT if your into english scents I heard this is the way to go.

I personally like VIW and MI but neither have enough projection or longevity for me to wear. IMO its an really over-hyped house.
    Last edited by CutlassSupremeSL; 23rd August 2010 at 08:57 PM.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Dude lets get real, maybe you fantasize about the 'golden years' and 'le french perfumes' a bit too much...Carons 3rd homme, while a good frag, has far from the best materials...the jasmine is hedione maxed out, its base is full of synthy 'cedar/moss' amped to the max, and the current formulation has seen better days. Lets bring out the current formulation Guerlains, Carons, etc and we both can dissect them together...

The most ironic fact in your post is that despite your anti-Creed and anti-synth tirade, you went home with a bottle of CdG Odeur 53 (a total lab and detergent product).. this + considering your lambasting Creed in the Aventus thread cant really take any of your reviews seriously.
    -

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    O/k, at least I went home with Comme Des Garcons #53. Good shop, really. Didn't get the Creeds. To simple at last, but isn't every fragrances prize tag pervert?
    what???

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    Man lol I persoanlly don't see all the hype that follows Creed. I have done plenty of video reviews on them and people actually hate me for them. They are just like any other niche company when you really think about it they just have a lot of fanboys. Most of these niche companies will only have 1 or 2 fragrances(if any) that any one person may really like.

SMW- Ink and silverwear.... nuff said and its unique but not really the best to actually wear around... atleast not at my age.

Erolfa- Nice BUT I will spend my $$$ on Bvlgari AQVA and AQVA Marine way before I buy Erolfa for $250-$280.

Tabarome- A lot fo ppl like this and I can see why but for me I get public restroom toliet water/urinal scent. BUT if your into english scents I heard this is the way to go.

I personally like VIW and MI but neither have enough projection or longevity for me to wear. IMO its an really over-hyped house.
    oh man. i couldnt agree more. Especially on Basenotes, Creed is like royalty and Green Irish Tweed. It just smells identical to Cool Water to me and thats just not my particular taste. is the king. Everyone has there own taste though. Ill admit i do kinda like VIW but not enough to bring out the big bucks for it

p.s. im actually very eager to try Bois Du Portugal because ive read that that is the fragrance Frank Sinatra wore, and hes my idle

idol...not idle

/spelling police ...lol
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

DeepSilence

I had a Creed SMW. I kept the empty bottle. whenever i sniff it, and i compare it to another my fragrances, i'm going to be sure that it should be my signature. It just have a little problem: Short lasting in my skin.
    I didn't see very special, and good Aromatic like it in this category.

Basenotes Institution

Too much hedione?

You know...my first time through the Creed colognes sniffin' like mad 101 pieces of paper. I, too, felt like it was an overrated house. Mostly because that stinkin' house note that seemed to pop up more often than not. I didn't like it. After trying a number of them out again on paper, a few on the skin, my opinion started to change. Most of their offerings are overrated but there are a number of them I'd consider wearing. Even the house note, framed well, amongst the other notes can be an addition.

I still don't get the hubbub about GIT but I also feel that way about Cool Water. Too many of the more popular frags in their line up fail to move me in any way as well. I do like a few and it seems to be the less appreciated ones. Which is to my benefit cause I've been able to score them as cheap if not cheaper than the designer counterpart's colognes.

All the fragrance makers, designer or niche, are making a killing on these pennies worth of materials, a dollar worth of packaging and Way too much of marketing. Although in the grand scheme of things people pay way more per use on hundreds of products every day.

You look at the hefty price tag all up front at once and cringe but a $3 latte 200-300 times a year is more expensive than a $250 dollar bottle of cologne that might last you the same amount of time. You'll complain about the expensive cologne not lasting longer than 4-5 hours on your skin but have no problem with the 30 minute consumption time on that latte and the couple hours of subsequent buzz for more money on less return.

It's all relative in the big picture. I, too, want to pay as little as possible at every opportunity but I'm not going to fool myself into believing that it doesn't happen in other parts of my daily routine that I spend more money per use than I would on a niche cologne if I even paid full retail price for it.

O/k, at least I went home with Comme Des Garcons #53. Good shop, really.
    When I take my synthetics, I take 'em straight up no chaser too.

I love those Carons too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I personally like quite a few Creeds. Erolfa just doesn't have the sillage or longevity for me to consider it though. I know that Brandon always refers Silver Mountain Water to ink and silverware (which are viable references) but I really like it for the cool, crisp Aspen air with the river running through it vibe. Plus the college age females that I have to work around always like it too.

Idole, I love this. It's the more authentic, refined, niche version of a Burberry London. London is good, but Idole is deep and polished. It does really take you to the islands with a warmth and voodoo feeling. Creed VIW is straight up suntan lotion and drinks with tiny umbrellas compared to this. Completely polar opposite scents.

Did you try Nassamoto Duro? To me it's an intense version of something like Cuir Ottoman. I love the bottle, but not my favorite scent. I'm still going to give Afghano a try.

Anyhow, sorry they didn't float your boat. That's part of what makes fragrances so unique. They work amazing for some people, but terrible on the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Dude lets get real, maybe you fantasize about the 'golden years' and 'le french perfumes' a bit too much...Carons 3rd homme, while a good frag, has far from the best materials...the jasmine is hedione maxed out, its base is full of synthy 'cedar/moss' amped to the max, and the current formulation has seen better days. Lets bring out the current formulation Guerlains, Carons, etc and we both can dissect them together...

The most ironic fact in your post is that despite your anti-Creed and anti-synth tirade, you went home with a bottle of CdG Odeur 53 (a total lab and detergent product).. this + considering your lambasting Creed in the Aventus thread cant really take any of your reviews seriously.
    I'm not that anti-synth as You take my discussion of my very personally feelings with the Creed scents. I'm no way the good nose to imagine all what is supposed to be in a Creed. I just get some more or less simple impression and then judge by my taste. Do I like it? I didn't like Lubins IDOLE (right spelling?) for its polished "texture". I didn't like the Nassamoto of a name not recalled now. The Black Afghane was a joke to me - I know the real stuff all to well as a trained Police Investigator.

I liked the sunny friendly not so complicated feel about the Caron 3rd man. It was on the spot something that lifts the mood, a "may-I-come-closer-to-sniff-it"-thing. It is such a good idea to combine jasmine with sandlewood and vanilla (to me) despite of any quality issues, natural or not. And utterly balanced. Well done. Not exactly a masterpiece, but - hey it's FUN!

Alas, I didn't get the Creeds. Sorry, but that is the honest truth. I could not reconstruct what the idea was, nor could I just enjoy the result as is.

The idea of #53 of CDG is no mystery at all. It is anti perfume. As I own such a lot of classics, I see no use in stocking up generic ideas and minor niches. My greed seems to go strange ways. However I now want to spritz every day that signature NO scent. As everybody smells of natural things believed to be beautyfull on their own I'll pull people into my sphere by just not doing so.

You don't take me serious and that o/k with me. It's about fun.

The idea of #53 of CDG is no mystery at all. It is anti perfume. As I own such a lot of classics, I see no use in stocking up generic ideas and minor niches. My greed seems to go strange ways. However I now want to spritz every day that signature NO scent. As everybody smells of natural things believed to be beautyfull on their own I'll pull people into my sphere by just not doing so.
    You do know that Odeur 53 is >50% hedione (synth jasmine), and the rest is detergent aroma...a plain sailing of the most obvious kind. Maybe you hoped that no one would notice and that you try to slip in that 53 comment. Not so fast bubba... I am having fun here as well, Sherlock..

On the topic of subjective likes, you may think Odeur 53 smells fab and has a 'fantastic idea', but to me its nowhere near as slick or beautifully constructed as SMW, which is one of the finest aquatic creations ever.
    -

On the topic of subjective likes, you may think Odeur 53 smells fab and has a 'fantastic idea', but to me its nowhere near as slick or beautifully constructed as SMW, which is one of the finest aquatic creations ever.
    I guess two gentlemen do indeed disagree.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by CutlassSupremeSL View Post
    When I first tsted SMW, it was way too sharp and synthetic, and too feminine....and it still is LOL, but there is alot about it I also like, all the things It has in common with MI really. I'm maybe 2-3 years older than you, and white/latino/middle eastern broads LOOOVE SMW. If i didn't get inordinate amounts of random pull from it, I wouldn't own it, as I personally find it too synthetic and slightly too femme. Windsor and Selection Verte are probably my two favorite Creeds. Followed by MI, GIT, & Green Valley.

And Op, I assume you tested Tabarome Millesime. The original Tabarome is the one which smells like some european-enlightenment-royalty type sh!t.

You do know that Odeur 53 is >50% hedione (synth jasmine), and the rest is detergent aroma...a plain sailing of the most obvious kind. Maybe you hoped that no one would notice and that you try to slip in that 53 comment. Not so fast bubba... I am having fun here as well, Sherlock..

I didn't knew about that hedione thing. Accidentially I have a huge portion of pure hedione at home. Recently I tried to lift a certain flower of lesser interest with it. An other trial was to just combine the infamous ambroxan (metallic amber) with hedione, which attempt was doomed to fail. I'm on the way to generate my first "accord" using a seaside flower, helional and ambrox. I've got the proportions right from the start, but the development brings the helional to stink eventually. The "metal" of the aromas is highly appreciated. It goes perfectly with a very etherical, non camphorous lavender on top as a catchy start. Zzzing! So, the problem remains, that the intrisnically quite disharmonic helional in the very last third of the drydown has to be coupled to some other related stuff, read hay, algae, maybe even - tar!? Suggestions? Keep it basic.

The #53 is of a different kind. It uses may be hedione, but as the legend goes 52 additional materials what would be true to its name. A quite different plot as the argued 50% hedione plus none. An other subtext could be answered. If it is 50% hedione, the complicated stuff is deluted by that. Less of the true worthwhile composition. What if the concentration is doubled? Then we would have a 100% of 52 worthwhile parts plus an other 100% of hedione for free.

Regarding the Creed fragrances it was a quite strange experience of being pulled in the storyline of each one. The salty breeze and Rocky Mountains picture. The SA was as eager as I have never seen an SA before. Reason unknown, alas, issue not resolved. And I hope I'm allowed to write that again. I couldn't catch any plot on them. To be fair the Nassamoto offerings were as less satisfying too. They were more dense, creamy but I couldn't enjoy them an the long run, say 10 minutes. They are represented as icons and should be worn so. To me these fargrances are not much more than a badge saying: I spent big bucks on a frag!

Everybody is invited to crosscheck the Creed offerings against others for sheer personal likeing. Take whatever You want. I'm sure I will never ever identityfy a Creed on anybody else. Wharever the mesage of wearing a Creed may be, I will not be able read it which is for sure my personal fault. Proof given.

SMW is a beautiful fragrance, and my favorite Creed. The others are nice as well, but just not for me. I will also note that it's nearly impossible to truly experience a fragrance without wearing it on your skin for a while. I have completely changed my mind about many fragrances that I hated in the bottle but just smelled incredible mixed with my skin.

Hey Cutlasssurpreme,

I enjoy your videos on youtube. Try Aventus, GIT, and Original Santal from Creed. All are unique and have great staying power. Cheers!

Nick

Of all the Creed fragrances, I only like about 6 of them and only 3 or 4 would compel me to purchase. This may or may not be a good "it's-a-winner" average in this business. Those that I consider "hits" are, in my opinion, wearable works of art. Genius stuff, I truly enjoy.

As a musical analogy; most music creators rarely make consistently appealing works. Out of 20 pieces of music generated, I may love only 4 of them.

I'm not a fanboy but seeing Creeds potential, just as in music, I can hope and wait for another hit.

Blog Entries

Creed Creed Creed...i dont get it :-/ you slap a price tag of a king on it, say there's natural ingredients and its "the best stuff on earth (just got better!)" In my experience, a fragrance is a fragrance. My only experience with really "bad" one's have been cheap ones for like $10, other than that they all smell decent, not a "synthetic mess" or whatever the hell bloviation about how bad it is the more poetic of members comes up with (synthetic mess tickles my funny bone in particular for some reason).

Imo, you've gotta let go of all previous impressions, ideas, or whatever might influence you. I'm not the most experienced with smelling Creed, but of the one's i've smelled, NONE impressed me. EROLFA is the main culprit in particular. Smelled like a $10 pacsun cologne at first, then transitioned to god knows what herbs, to a musk/amber base (which DID last long, but i don't even consider generic musk or amber a note). Y'know what? it DID smell natural, it did smell high quality, but did it smell good? Quite simply no! You can record an album with the highest quality technology possible, but if the music sucks, the quality is irrelevant. I'd rather listen to a regular quality recording with a band playing their hearts out before i listen to an ultra-crisp, perfect recording by some chumps Universal Records picked up.

Maybe i just have tastes that don't dip into niche-land, maybe i just didn't like what i tried, or maybe who gives a damn! Just like what you like

More on topic, i'm glad i'm not alone with not liking EROLFA, i find it extremely mediocre and honestly kind of repulsive at times

I had really high expectations for the Creed fragrances, but when I tried them, I was somewhat disappointed. Millisime Imperial is nice, I will admit. It is easily my favorite. Very fresh. Original Santal I enjoyed too. And the SA insisted that Tabarome smelled great on me. I'm sure she says that to everyone though. But none of thier fragrances WOWED me. They were all okay...all wearable, but none except maybe MI really had my attention.

Creed is like any other house: some people like some of their fragrances, some may like a good portion, and some may not like any. As for me, the only fragrance I've liked enough to purchase from them is MI. From what you've mentioned Erolfa is boring, Himalaya is boring, Tabarome is just not my thing, and SMW was enjoyable. I may actually have to sample it again. From what I got out of Aventus I really wanna try that on skin as well.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

They are just like any other niche company when you really think about it they just have a lot of fanboys.

Of course... the truly discerning, adult connoisseurs must agree with you...

If you like classic fragrances those were the wrong Creeds to try - and Creed obviously doesnt' make the kind of tongue-in-cheek modern that you seem to enjoy as well. You might enjoy these Creeds, or find them interesting at least:
    Bois du Portugal - sharp lavender, smoke, ambery wood, a brilliantly pared down masculine
    Tabarome (VINTAGE): an opulent yet very formal, extremely complex 1920s style fragance
    Royal English Leather: a simple, sweet, creamy, oriental leather. A vivid olfactory image of luxury
    Epicea: straight wintery charry pine on a wood base
    Neroli sauvage: simple, good, unsweet (!) neroli.
    Séléction Verte: a perfectly done minty cologne, summer incarnate

I've never liked SMW, MI and most other "youngish" Creeds and have sold Original Vetiver and GIT as well, as I no longer enjoy them.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Creed Creed Creed...i dont get it :-/ you slap a price tag of a king on it, say there's natural ingredients and its "the best stuff on earth (just got better!)" In my experience, a fragrance is a fragrance. ...
    More on topic, i'm glad i'm not alone with not liking EROLFA, i find it extremely mediocre and honestly kind of repulsive at times
    Thank You for joining the pedestrians. An alternative to Erolfa could be Heeley Sel Maritime (ny far less expensive, too). I just received a sample with the mail. It develops quite promissing towards a seaside smell. A little bite of fishy rott is in it too, needless to say that this is essential. With Sel Maritime this bite resides in a small niche of the overall picture. Well done, again!

An other is Odeur #71. The sample is at once pleasant. But - strange. And then repulsive. Thrilling. It doesn't smell of or like anything, but it connects to something in my memories I have forgotten, a complete emotional picture, go figure! Rotting cherries? Craze. Compared to Odeur #53 - irish landscape - it has more of an oriental

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    If you like classic fragrances those were the wrong Creeds to try - and Creed obviously doesnt' make the kind of tongue-in-cheek modern that you seem to enjoy as well.
    Sorry, without offence I'm through with Creed. I think I've got the whole picture. From it's vast discussion in the forum, some kind of guerilla advertising it is, passing by the eager SA in the shop to the olfactory belly-landing. I have my classics that I trust, and I just don't need any other. Now I want to fool around, that's right.

btw: You didn't answer the question if any Creed is originally made along an ancient recipe of let's say 1780+? From what would we know that? Sure? That would be the only case in which I'll look after that queer company again.

btw: You didn't answer the question if any Creed is originally made along an ancient recipe of let's say 1780+? From what would we know that? Sure? That would be the only case in which I'll look after that queer company again.
    No, neither Creed, Farina 1709, Guerlain or any other perfume house use entirely genuine historical formulas & ingredients. You may find individual perfumers who do so for fun, but most will tell you that those ancient formulas were at best mediocre anyway. Enjoy your "53"
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Banned

you drop the words "queer" and "pervert" in the strangest places. in fact i don't think i've understood one of your sentences in this thread. is english a second (or third or fourth) language for you? just wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    No, neither Creed, Farina 1709, Guerlain or any other perfume house use entirely genuine historical formulas & ingredients. You may find individual perfumers who do so for fun, but most will tell you that those ancient formulas were at best mediocre anyway. Enjoy your "53"
    Thank You very much, I already do enjoy #53. I'm sorry that this has become a dead end. The idea of smelling of nothing in particular is quite appealing. It would have been real fun to alter that very concept. Different kinds of nothings - in particular as to say.

I know that this concept is the exact opposite to what Creed claims to be after. Despite from being traditional - even the infamous chypre referres to something distinctive, the ile in the med. sea - the concept of resembling natural odeurs or complete landscapes of such can go tremendously wrong. Proof given in here (seconded by my attempt to write Englich, sorry).

The whole Creed story, including the history issue is a marketing ploy. Same with Nausaeto prime line fraks. The Lubin Idole bored me right from the start, quite an engaged bottle, though. Finding something that is at least woth it's prize tag quatered is as hard as it gets. The best one can do is to remain playfull. Creed again rushes to the opposite direction, prizey and earnest, not my thing regardless the juice, which I accidentially don't like at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroma View Post
    you drop the words "queer" and "pervert" in the strangest places. in fact i don't think i've understood one of your sentences in this thread. is english a second (or third or fourth) language for you? just wondering...
    My first language is Latin. Queer just means "strange, odd, irregular" according to my dictionary. May be the wording sticks in all day language to something special. Any erotic conotation isn't intended at all regarding the Creed business. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Hey Cutlasssurpreme,

I enjoy your videos on youtube. Try Aventus, GIT, and Original Santal from Creed. All are unique and have great staying power. Cheers!

Nick
    Thanks and I have tried most of the Creeds including GIT and Original Santal. As for OS I really dont want to walk around smelling like that plus it kills my nose. And for GIT is way too much confused for Cool Water(to 98% of ppl) to warrant a buy from me. Plus I get like 4-5 hours with it at most and I really dont consider ambergis a note when its the only thing left to smell(which would knock off 2-4 hours of most Creeds). And even though Aventus was pleasant on the nose the girl I was with said it best when she smelled it. She sniffed my hand and said "why would a guy walk around smelling like pinneaple." Then she frowned her face up and went back to loving Love in White.
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Banned

My first language is Latin. Queer just means "strange, odd, irregular" according to my dictionary. May be the wording sticks in all day language to something special. Any erotic conotation isn't intended at all regarding the Creed business. Sorry.
    where do you live that they still speak Latin? i thought that language was several centuries dead.

again just wondering... no apologies necessary..

I remember posting threads about seven years ago about what's the big deal with Creed Millesime Imperial; Creed Green Irish Tweed reminds me too much Cool Water; and Silver Mountain Water reminds me of my dad's wine vats. I'm a bit embarrassed by those posts now.

On the other hand I still have gripes about Tabarome Millesime and Erolfa - namely that the parts I really like don't last long enough.
    Renato

Blog Entries

where do you live that they still speak Latin? i thought that language was several centuries dead.

again just wondering... no apologies necessary..
    from a strictly anthropological perspective im wondering the same. I swear i've heard its a dead language so im really curious as to how its your first, and if so does your entire country speak it? it'd be pretty funny if everyone's been wrong this entire time about the "dead language"

Quote Originally Posted by xiton View Post
    SMW is a beautiful fragrance.
    Agree.

Actually Latin is still taught in some of the posh schools over ere , my cousin is a latin teacher !!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Actually Latin is still taught in some of the posh schools over ere , my cousin is a latin teacher !!!
    it's taught here in America too... but SPOKEN? no.

I remember posting threads about seven years ago about what's the big deal with Creed Millesime Imperial; Creed Green Irish Tweed reminds me too much Cool Water; and Silver Mountain Water reminds me of my dad's wine vats. I'm a bit embarrassed by those posts now.

Nice testimony. Indeed one might suggest Creed is to the average designer aesthetics what a symphony is to a rap utterance.

To be able to encompass a symphony, one needs to educate oneself. If not, of course, the rap "song" could be portrayed as just as legitimate a choice, as long as one is happy with it.

De gustibus non est disputandum, as we say in my neck of the woods (-:

Sur la Plage

Hi there,

I've sniffed Creed today at last. The SA was very eager to pull me in. Each scent was accompanied by a story of what it shoulld resemble.

Erolfa: seabreeze - o/k, not for me. No salt nothing but some nasty aromachemicals. I didn't get the picture. I honestly tried, really! It was just a "No", I came back to it later and it stayed just that. May be I've lost the personal reference of my own Atlantic experiences, but that's quite improbable. May be the imagination is wrong on that, and it isn't meant that way at all. But, I just didn't get it.

Silver Mountain Water: a waterfall in the Rockies according to the SA - not for me. It was a pale aldehydic sparkled and tamed at once by helional or something. Very unpleasent due to its overt chemical construction that was additionally felt as simple. I'm not the perfect nose, so take care! I must have missed something, it was just very plain without a knack. No pine or something. Just dry flowerish aldehydes plus don't know.

Tabarome (don't exactly know which, but should have cost 150++$, millisime?): Tabacco - o/k, I've got some fermented leaves, that is a picture that fits. Underneath there is something dry. A not too overt layer of aroma, maybe cold ash? The best so far. But the top was drenched in alcohol, synthetic. That might occure with natural smells as well, if isolated (violet leaves). In this case I was sure, that this Tabarome is an utter contemporary concoction, means 1980+, not vintage or ancient.

But then We went over to Lubin, Idole: rum plus orange plus something that filled it up. To polished for my taste.

The SA went crazy on me. The Xclusive line of Nassamoto for an other price tag. I liked it. And it went on, the Creeds were all forgotten. Then at last I saw the Caron line there. Let's sniff a reference! Yatagan: great on the first sniff and it remained so while the Nassamoto devoloped camphorous aspects in comparison, unbalanced was my verdict then. Caron 3rd man: wowey, how beeeuutyfull BIG SMILE!

I came back to Erolfa, that was worse than in the beginning, sniffed some Xclusive Nassamoto including Black Afghane that smelled of patchouli plus woody amber. He never inhaled for sure ...

Conclusion: in spite of visiting a shop of tremendous possibilities the classics outperformed the Xclusive line of Nassamoto and the so often promoted Creed by lengths. It was not only that the Carons were more familiar, but they brought the message just to the point, they were complex, balanced, hence "natural" of a kind.

I am not fond of those 3 Creeds either. But there are other Creeds that I own and love. You shouldn't write off an entire house based on a few samplings IMO - but that is your prerogative to do so.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Creed is the best punching bag you'd ever find wildthingy...

it's perfectly natural for newcomers at Basenotes to either like creed or simply despise it. i represented the former.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Creed is the best punching bag you'd ever find wildthingy...

it's perfectly natural for newcomers at Basenotes to either like creed or simply despise it. i represented the former.
    Creed showed me the way: to just not join them. What they do is exactly I don't wanna be identified with. It's not a matter of being a "newcomer" but a matter of taste. Creed is about wannabe, none else, got it?

<edit> perfume is about F.U.N. - my very self does miss it so much with Creed and it's fanboys

I am fond of Creed fragrances, but Erolfa, SMW, and Tabarome Mllesime all struck me as so-so, not really my thing, for a long time. I now own and love all three. Wore SMW today, and it was a fine experience. You might give them all a few more tries.

IMO, most of life's sweetest pleasures are acquired tastes. If you like it too much the first time, the appeal becomes tiresome quickly, like a bad, too-catchy pop song. Many of the best fragrances are like this, too. They grow on you with time. Several Creeds have been like this with me.

Banned

Creed showed me the way: to just not join them. What they do is exactly I don't wanna be identified with. It's not a matter of being a "newcomer" but a matter of taste. Creed is about wannabe, none else, got it?

<edit> perfume is about F.U.N. - my very self does miss it so much with Creed and it's fanboys
    so you smelled 3 Creeds, didn't like any of them, and now liken the company and its fans to a cult?

your hatred of Creed is very very strange, in my opinion. It seems like you take it waaaaay too seriously. You say it's "about fun", then you turn around and call all Creed fans "wannabes".

I'm a Creed fan. Are you saying that I'm a "wannabe"? And "wannabe" WHAT, specifically? What do you think I am "trying" to be? And are you saying that the hundreds of people on this site who are big fans of certain Creed fragrances are "wannabes" too?

Not sure where you are coming from, but between your terrible English and your obsessive hatred of a company you know little about, you seem very suspect.

Latin is your FIRST LANGUAGE?

Unless you're locked in a room in the vatican, or you're from another time and dimension (which I'm thinking could be possible after reading your posts), Latin is NOT your first language.

What they do is exactly I don't wanna be identified with.

Now there's exquisitely little danger of that, isn't there?

Wow...true colors and all that, huh? I admit I'm a Creed fan and a "wannabe"....I "wannabe" in a position of having a life time supply of my favorites....GIT, SV, MI, and now AVENTUS My goodness, what a delicious concoction this one is....

If perfume is about fun, ignore all the marketing crap and have fun with the perfume. I mean, are you going to diss L'Origan because Francois Coty became a proto-fascist later in life? Some Creeds are really worth trying
    Did you mean your first language is a Romance language, i.e. Spanish, Catalan (likely, if you are actually from the islas canarias)?
    My Wardrobe

it's taught here in America too... but SPOKEN? no.
    I took 4 years of it at the private school I went to but never spoke it and never wanted to translate a passage by Ceasar again
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Wildthingy, it doesn't matter if your language is latin or pig-latin, you are welcome to air your perfume related opinions here.

This may be a bit off topic, but how many people know about Catalonia, Spains autonomous region (and according to some people, the real Barcelona) ?
    -

Like a lot of houses some Creeds I love, some I'm indifferent to, some I hate. Why does it have to be black and white?

Wildthingy, it doesn't matter if your language is latin or pig-latin, you are welcome to air your perfume related opinions here.)
    If I am permitted a humourous diversion, I don't know exactly why, but the tenor of this thread reminded me of Ronald Reagan's self-deprecating humour - on one campaigning occasion, he visited a plant which was producing air conditioners, fans and such - Reagan says: "we seem to be in the same business, is the air coming out of your machines hot as well?"

so you smelled 3 Creeds,
    You say it's "about fun", then you turn around and call all Creed fans "wannabes".

Not sure where you are coming from, but between your terrible English and your obsessive hatred of a company you know little about, you seem very suspect.
    Sorry, I beg Your pardon regarding the English. For sure You got it wrong what is my fault from start to end. The wording related to the former discusson about the attempt of Creed and others - Nassamato - to resemble natural aromas: seabreeze, the Rockies, Black Afghane. All these trials did go tremendously wrong to my nose.

I LOVE Givenchys Insense, most of the Etal Libre D'Orange line, some classics. My personal taste doesn't fit with the idea of perfumery that Creed persues, though. And that relates to the whole line: it is the constitutive concept of resemblance to natural aromas. As if a natural aroma would be worthwhile on its own. I just don't want to smell OF something certain, for instance the Rocky Mountains. I want smell like me. To push that conflict out of the firezone let me state that I don't like the old Diorissimo too. Contended?

Sorry

The new Tabarome is very nice and one that I like very much.....Erolfa has no lasting power on me at all.....none.....Silver Mountain Water is nice.....I like GIT and Green Valley better.....Royal Water is also nice.....
    I prefer Comme des Garcons Odeur 71 over 53.....I have both and Love them.....71 just works better on my skin.....I do like the Nassamato line I have Duro and Absinth.....I like these but the cost/ounce ratio will probably prevent me from making this purchase again!!!
    Gary

I want smell like me.

No problem. Not using any blasted Creed fragrance will get you half-way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post

I want smell like me.

No problem. Not using any blasted Creed fragrance will get you half-way there.
    I conclude, using a Creed would make me smell like who? You didn't get it, this time despite of fair English. I do not want to smell of the Rocky Mointauns. How DO they smell, really? Nor do I want to evoke the smelly seaside when I enter a room. The "romantic" naturalism in perfumery is lost in some kinda void between the poles of a) headspace analysis b) abstract composition tecniques. I understand, Creed is exclusive due to its prize and much people of vast exclusive taste love it +ggg+ O/k, case closed.

I'm a 'wannabe', too! I 'wannabe' able to wear whatever the f*ck I want to cause I like it! There aren't very many Creed frags I like to wear but what I do...I will.

To me it's seems that some people get their identity from loving and associating themselves with certain things. Just the same some get their identity from hating and disassociating themselves with certain things. These two group when using this method of identity are one in the same.

I LOVE Givenchys Insense, most of the Etal Libre D'Orange line, some classics. ....

I just don't want to smell OF something certain, for instance the Rocky Mountains. I want smell like me. To push that conflict out of the firezone let me state that I don't like the old Diorissimo too. Contended?

Sorry
    You state that you dont want to smell like something...but then you list Etat Libre as a favorite house who, granted, create fragrances around some extreme concepts such as sperm, incense + bubblegum (all of which do exist in nature, btw), are still doing what Creed and other houses do: recreate various aromas with some creativity. Infact, recreating natural aromas is what most classic houses (have) focused on....the aroma of violets, or jasmine, or the EDC formula, or the recreation of the air of Cyprus in chypre perfumes, the gazillions of lavender based fragrances, etc.
    -