Code of Conduct

Default Perry Ellis (1985) vs. Pierre Cardin drydowns: are they very similar?

I see that the base notes listed are very similar, so I'm curious about how similar they are. I realize that the original PC Pour Monsieur is supposed to be a lot stronger than the one that's being sold today, so just let me know which formulation you are referring to. Thanks.

Default Re: Perry Ellis (1985) vs. Pierre Cardin drydowns: are they very similar?

They're both very good fragrances in their own right, but they're really not very similar at all.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is more of an orange/amber/vanilla oriental fragrance. I have a newer bottle of the stuff and it's quite strong enough, thank you.

Perry Ellis is a floral chypre that's very heavy on the carnations and leather.

Default Re: Perry Ellis (1985) vs. Pierre Cardin drydowns: are they very similar?

That's what I thought, but I only sampled the Cardin once, a long time ago. I don't remember the Cardin (new one) as having a strong/sweet Oriental base though.

Basenotes Institution

Not similar at all.

I think the Perry Ellis is much more of an oriental...sort of a designer Serge Lutens fragrance, with a typical 80's harshness to it. The Pierre Cardin is much sharper, crisper, fresher - not spicy at all.

On me the floral accords are very strong in the PE.