Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Issey Miyake - Noir Absolu

Anyone try this? It's on the Neiman Marcus site so I guess it's out. I didn't hear anything about it.

Default Re: Issey Miyake - Noir Absolu

this one flew under the radar....

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it at Neimans. I dislike it slightly less than the original Issey PH. There is just something in all Issey men's fragrances that don't agree with me - including this one.

However, I am sure "someone" has already bought it (blind) and thinks it is absolutely fantastic.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th August 2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did try it. It's their take on oud wood - which comes across a pretty sharp without much redemption. It is DEFINITELY dark though.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound promising - I'll give it a try next time I'm there.

Bottle looks amazing, but im not a follower of the original L`Eau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the original, but it can get on my nerves, as can oud. The combination may be screechy....

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone consider this a winter version of Issey?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I like the original, but it can get on my nerves, as can oud. The combination may be screechy....
    Good adjective - for me it was more like nails on a chalkboard in the beginning & the initial mid notes. The bottomline drydown became more muted but not very smooth if that makes any sense. These days - if I want a dark aoud, I reach for Bigelow's Black Elixir mainly because I've tried several oudh wood renderings and just can't wear the pure thing.
    Last edited by SoGent; 29th August 2010 at 12:03 AM.

Bought it and loved it more than the original.

Hm notes on this sounds promising to me. Is this daily fragrance or better suited for evening?
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

UK-based readers may be interested to learn that Noir Absolu is now available exclusively at Harrods. After a couple of months, it will be distributed more widely.

To my nose, the male version smells very similar to the original; perhaps it's just a touch more amplified. The female version turns up the volume of the florals (particularly the jasmine) and ends up smelling similar to J'Adore.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Bought it and loved it more than the original.
    Same here. Haven't used it much yet. Waiting for the weather to cool down.
    Didn't like original too much, less flowery here.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried this at another store, not Barneys. The best I can say is that it's not bad. I found the base note not very oud-like. Instead it seemed to be heavy on ginger — not a novelty with Issey Miyake scents. I'm going to skip this one.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I only smelled this one from the bottle. I went to test (and wear) Aventus, but should have tried this. I really, really like the original. This one smelled very similar to that, but maybe a little bit stronger.

I tried this at Duty Free on Monday, not being a fan of the original release, I was completely taken by surprise at how good it smelled. I was trying a zillion things on that day and Noir Absolu was really the only one that stood out from the other new releases. Unfortunately, having only tried it on a test strip, I'm now left wondering if its intriguingly intense, bitter nutmeg top note is followed by something interesting or if it just settles down to the original's watery base. I'm certainly going to give this one a proper test wearing soon.
    PS: I also like the woman's version very much; a soft amber floral - nice.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th October 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I tried this at Duty Free on Monday, not being a fan of the original release, I was completely taken by surprise at how good it smelled. I was trying a zillion things on that day and Noir Absolu was really the only one that stood out from the other new releases. Unfortunately, having only tried it on a test strip, I'm now left wondering if its intriguingly intense, bitter nutmeg top note is followed by something interesting or if it just settles down to the original's watery base. I'm certainly going to give this one a proper test wearing soon.
    PS: I also like the woman's version very much; a soft amber floral - nice.
    Alles Gute zum Geburtstag Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag

A quick on-line translation! Hope you receive some great fragrances as gifts!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked it when I smelled it a couple weeks ago also (I tried it on my skin). But, it quickly dries down to a very familiar Issey Miyake base note that left me a bit less excited than those incredibly well crafted top notes. I'll stick with my Cacharel Pour Homme and vintage Equipage.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this on my skin last night actually. The opening was absolutely hideous to my nose. The drydown was pleasant and is smells like a very intense version of L'Eau d'Issey. I own the Intense version, so on the intensity scale: L'Eau d'Issey < L'Eau d'Issey Intense < L'Eau d'Issey Noir Absolu. The drydown for all three is essentially the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I tried this at Duty Free on Monday, not being a fan of the original release, I was completely taken by surprise at how good it smelled. I was trying a zillion things on that day and Noir Absolu was really the only one that stood out from the other new releases.
    That describes the way I felt when I wound up trying and buying L'Eau Bleue D'Issey when it came out. I was at Saks trying a bunch of different scents and didn't even want to try L'Eau Bleue for some snobbish reason. I was going through the testing stips after trying about 15 different scents and the one that kept getting my attention was L'Eau Bleue. I didn't want to like it, but I did-- so I bought it.

I really have to try Noir Absolu.

Douglas has this as of a few weeks ago, and I quite like it. It is very definitely a relation of the original, but to my nose, something of a darker, woodier, more intense L'Eau d'Issey. It also has much better longevity; I rather like the original, but it doesn't seem to last at all, while Noir Absolu is still there at eight hours and slightly beyond.

I tried it, liked it. But everybody I asked if they liked it, did not. With a firm "no". It's strong stuff, and because I hang out with these people a lot, I decided not to buy it as to not offend them.

I understand fragrances are a personal choice and you should buy what you want, but they attack olfactory sense which has more of a physiological impact on the person than does sight. It's okay to wear shoes you love but your close ones don't, because all they have to do is not look at them. Fragrance is very intrusive, however, and it's hard to avoid if you are in the same car with the same people often.

I prefer noir absolu to the original though. It seems a bit less floral and more sharp, slightly darker citrus. More balanced I would say, but stronger as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Stronger than the original? That stuff was strong enough.

I've given my 90% full bottle of L'eau D'Issey to my younger brother. I've had enough of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested this today, they got rid of that annoying note I couldn't quite put my finger on that was in the original. It also smells like it has washed down AdG in it. I think I like it.