Code of Conduct

Question Is anyone familiar with the old style Penhaligons bottles. Have the scents been reformulated?

I'm interested in buying a bottle of Endymion, yet I only have experience with the juice from a new style bottle. There is an older bottle on ebay from a seller in the UK. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with both bottles?

New bottle:

Old bottle:

Thanks!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Is anyone familiar with the old style Penhaligons bottles. Have the scents been reformulated?

I have a friend who worked as a graphic designer for Penhaligons in London in the late 90s and early 00's. She told me that the entire line was revamped packaging-wise about 4 years ago, but this did not suggest that a reformulation took place. It was more about achieving a greater market appeal.

Default Re: Is anyone familiar with the old style Penhaligons bottles. Have the scents been reformulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I have a friend who worked as a graphic designer for Penhaligons in London in the late 90s and early 00's. She told me that the entire line was revamped packaging-wise about 4 years ago, but this did not suggest that a reformulation took place. It was more about achieving a greater market appeal.
    Oh, ok thanks Dimi. Appreciate the input.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

I always thought the little bows looked kind of gay...

(I'm gay, so I'm allowed to say that )
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

No recent reformulation that I'm aware of. Of course most of them probably have been reformulated at least once somewhere along the line, especially the scents that have been around for years like the bouquets.

Does anybody know when the bottles actually changed? My bottles of Castile and Endymion bought last month on ebay are the old style. I didn't realise there had been a change as the Penhaligon's website itself still displays the old, or what I had assumed to be the current design.

Are you sure you don't have the bottles mixed up? I purchased Endymion several years ago when it first came out, and it was in the style of the first bottle shown. Their website currently shows the second bottle, so I'm assuming that's the repackaged version.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

Naah, they don't!

But the current style of bottles certainly look way better.

With regard to Endymion, The old bottle is the original and was only around for about two years (maybe not even two, if I remember correctly) The new bottle is just repackaging. Like Dimi said, they were going through a marketing upheaval. There are a lot of odd package changes from that period, even a repackaging of Lords/Douro with burgundy and lime stripes. Basically, they were streamlining and bringing more continuity between products. Also, you'll notice that the older bottles were all very unique with raised letters and images or etched looking designs specific to the scent. Now they are mostly basic bottles with stickers; that has to be less expensive to manufacture.

Most of the packaging went from modern, crisp, die cut, almost abstract looks to more traditional, florid, wallpaper and bookshelf looking designs. Weird how drastically different Ellensia and Endymion, in particular are. The scents represent modern creations to me and I feel the original packaging better reflected that. The new packaging for Ellensia looks very grandmotherly, kitchen cupboardish and uninteresting. Endymion is a bit better but I prefer the waning sliver moon on the stark background to the heavy theater drapes and grandiose shield against the foppish Noel Coward or Cecil Beaton cravat polka dots. Even though the juices were not affected, I almost feel like they were because the marketing perception is so different.

The relatively short period from about 2002 to 2006 is when most of the changes occurred. There were some already existing frags with great packaging that changed as well as some new juices with short-lived original packaging that was very creative and original. The bottles themselves were stunning. Lp9 for men was a strong matte black that oozed refinement, quality, and sexuality. The thin yet frenetic gold etched design of Malabah reflected the light and sparkling, exotic mixture inside. I can see how they wanted to get back to the iconic bow across the product lines, it's very recognizable and unifying. My guess is that they didn't feel the bows worked well with the more modern designs. However, they didn't replace all the neck decoration with traditional bows. Look at Lavandula and Lily of the Valley for instance.

Consider yourself lucky to find some of these bottles. Most weren't around for long. In another five years or so, I imagine they will be as rare as the dome topped bottles from the seventies and eighties. Frankly, because there are so few, they will probably be rarer. I would like to have a full set but some are already difficult to come by.

That's some of what I know and How I feel about it.

Tah, y'all
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I feel I should add that, IMHO, they did a lovely job packaging the Anthology series. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post

LMAO!!! I couldn't say that, but yes, I do think they are trying to butch up their bottles a bit.

I think they have probably used the little bow design for many, many years, far prior to any of those sorts of concerns. A part of their tradition. Now they are trying for a more mainstream male appeal. Let's face it, the "average" consumer is harder to reach than people with 2,000+ posts in fragrance forum. Little bows look girlie or "nelly" to a lot of guys.

Something like Endymion is so recent, I doubt they reformulated it.

I always thought the bows looked dressy and formal, as in wearing a tuxedo, in addition to being a little old fashioned. I never thought of them as being feminine at all and rather liked them.

I do agree, however, that the new trim and labels on the bottles give them a more contemporary look and will probably have wider appeal.

All my Penhaligon's fragrances are in the old bottles, and I haven't sampled any from the new packaging.

I loved the older packaging a lot more. Hammam Bouquet is one incredible fragrance.

I like the old packaging too. But I think the reality of the average guy motivates their design change.

Many of the guys I know are very insecure with frag choices. Few have one tenth of the knowledge and confidence that anyone in here with 100 posts has. The slightest hint of something unisex or someone that could possibly be interpreted as feminine (like bows) sends them running.

Once you have a base understanding of Pens history and/or have actually tried some, it's easy to accept their packaging. But you can't cram that education into 3 minutes in a mall. I think Endymion is probably their leading seller with young men, and they're trying to make the bottle more appealing.

Don't know if they're going to redesign all their bottles.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 24th August 2010 at 02:56 PM.

The bows are part of the current packaging. They were part of the old packaging too but not for all the frags. For instance, Endymion originally had a black leather look whip around the neck. The repackaging went from a contemporary look to a more nostalgic look. Not the other way around as one might think. The bottles at the top are mislabeled.