Code of Conduct

Default Ungaro II and the quality of designer scents.

Ungaro II is absolutely an amazing scent and I still can't believe that not only was this released by a designer, but it was released as late as 1992! Sure, there were a plethora of heavier, civet or patchouli heavy, quality men's scents from the 70's and 80's, but very few that I can think of that came out after 1990 that displayed this level of quality and simply extraordinary depth and balance in the composition.

I'm curious what other designer scents released in the 90s or after had this kind of depth and quality?

Also, does anyone know for sure who the nose(s) were behind this? I've heard that it was Jacques Polge and Francois Demachy, but can't seem to find that information now.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Ungaro II and the quality of designer scents.

I think Havana by Aramis was released in the early 90s, thought it's basically a tweaking of Montana Parfum d'Homme. Acteur by Azzaro is from the 80s, I think, but it's also an incredible designer offering.

Don't forget Ungaro I and the original version of Ungaro III, both masterpieces!

Relax by Davidoff. Intoxicating scent. No civet and little patchouli, though. A masterpiece that's long gone now.

Another a$$kicker is M. de Morabito, which I think was mid 80s. I've got the aftershave and it's stronger than most EdTs today !

Doing a year by year search through the '90s in the Fragrance Directory uncovers a surprising number of excellent designer fragrances! :-)

I suppose I should just do a search for discontinued fragrances, as it seems all the best (even Zino, now!) end up that way.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but i have ungaro III the modern version and i do love it. Im curious where you managed to snag Ungaro II? I've been looking around, and i have been unsuccessful in finding some. I do very much enjoy Zino actually

Its like, Rose, animalic, slightly fecal, and has like a creaminess in the back

It may be strange, but I constantly get such a sense of quality and of style in Ungrao II, that I compare it to the flawless distinction of Chanel pour Monsieur (besides, their top notes do have slight similarities, especially a faint, discreet, flowery-powdery opening)

Yes, Ungaro II comes as a cross between Chenel's PM and Jicky. It has a lotta civet. I have a good reserve of it :0)

WHAT! Zino is also discontinued? Gotta stock up.

It's compelling but a little stuffy. It became tedious to wear so I sold my bottle. It's rich and substantial
    but the basenotes end up feeling overworked in order to make up for some structural deficiencies. Still, much better, and far more mysterious than most.

I prefer the clarity and more natural feel of Ungaro 1.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th September 2010 at 03:32 AM.

I love all three Ungaros, but I'm not that fond of the reformulated version of III. I am fortunate enough to have two bottles of the original formulation made in France.

I have four bottles of II, so my love for that one is obvious!

My problem is with I, of which I only have one 50ml bottle. Gotta find some more of that stuff!

Killer, there is a thread, probably from earlier this year, discussing the recent discontinuation of Zino, but I can't remember the details. Luckily it is still pretty easy to find.

SOS, I make an effort to seek out discontinued frags. I find most of them superior to much of the stuff made these days.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's flashy, but the batteries were dead after six months. It was always compelling, but rarely a pleasure to actually wear. It wasn't long before I found it synthetic, bloated, tedious, stuffy, and basically just somewhat ridiculous. It has quality in its structure, but it's confused and actually a little thin once you realize the heavier basenotes are working overtime, and it's nothing like the clarity and quality of something like Jicky or vintage Pour Monsieur. There's really only superficial congruence with either one of those anyway. Still, it's much better than most. Not as good as Ungaro 1 (Demachy), which also feels stuffy and dated these days, but also much clearer, more natural than 2, and does have a strong genuine Jicky angle once you wear it awhile.
    I will always love it Even long after it's gone... I've never been a turn-coat to my loved ones!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I love all three Ungaros, but I'm not that fond of the reformulated version of III. I am fortunate enough to have two bottles of the original formulation made in France.

I have four bottles of II, so my love for that one is obvious!

My problem is with I, of which I only have one 50ml bottle. Gotta find some more of that stuff!

Killer, there is a thread, probably from earlier this year, discussing the recent discontinuation of Zino, but I can't remember the details. Luckily it is still pretty easy to find.

SOS, I make an effort to seek out discontinued frags. I find most of them superior to much of the stuff made these days.
    Here is your chance to buy another bottle of Ungaro Pour Homme I:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ungaro-Pour-LHom..._Aftershave_PP

For that price, I`ve already ordered mine...

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Here is your chance to buy another bottle of Ungaro Pour Homme I:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ungaro-Pour-LHom..._Aftershave_PP

For that price, I`ve already ordered mine...
    A safe blind buy at that price do you reckon?

count me in as a fan of the Ungaro Trilogy.

AromiErotici

Yepper......Ungaro II is the cats ass. Excellent masculine and Ungaro I is just as good but in a completely different way.

I have all three original Ungaros and love them all.

I received my Ungaro I today and it didn`t inspire me. It`s not as original or daring as Ungaro II, and it`s very similar to Gucci Nobile, but a shy version of Gucci Nobile. Not bad, but not that great I was expecting based on reviews here on basenotes. Ungaro I reminds me also of a local fragrance here, from O Boticario. I have to discover which one, but it seemed very close to one of the frags from O Boticario...

AromiErotici

I received my Ungaro I today and it didn`t inspire me. It`s not as original or daring as Ungaro II, and it`s very similar to Gucci Nobile, but a shy version of Gucci Nobile. Not bad, but not that great I was expecting based on reviews here on basenotes. Ungaro I reminds me also of a local fragrance here, from O Boticario. I have to discover which one, but it seemed very close to one of the frags from O Boticario...
    Bro, are we smelling the same fragrance??? Not original or daring? Shy version of Gucci Nobile???

I wonder if you got the real deal in your transaction. There is no commonality between Nobile and Ungaro I whatsoever. The Ungaro I I have roars out with a growl and is borderline feral. I am a big fan of Ungaro II, but think I is the best of the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Bro, are we smelling the same fragrance??? Not original or daring? Shy version of Gucci Nobile???

I wonder if you got the real deal in your transaction. There is no commonality between Nobile and Ungaro I whatsoever. The Ungaro I I have roars out with a growl and is borderline feral. I am a big fan of Ungaro II, but think I is the best of the trilogy.
    It looks original and does have longevity on skin and sillage, so i don`t consider it as a fake. But yes, my first impression is that this one is a less daring version of Gucci Nobile. I was quite confused when I thought of Gucci Nobile when i tested this one, but then i consulted their notes, and they have almost the same notes. They really share the same aromatic fougere aura, but Nobile has slightly sweeter and woody, and more intense, while Ungaro I is not that strong when it develops on skin. Nothing feral here, nice, but i expected more. I like II better, this one is the feral one of the trilogy to me. The I looks more like a domesticated beast...

Basenotes Institution

Too. Many. Aldehydes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Too. Many. Aldehydes.
    I did not know that this was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Too. Many. Aldehydes.
    Are you talking about Ungaro II? Aldehydes? ...Where? Hmm, it never came across as an aldehyde heavy scent like say, No. 5 or Rien or Gold Man.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for them next time I wear it..
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post

I was thinking, the borderline feral aspect that you detect, do you feel it`s because of the musk at basenotes? If so, maybe i`m anosmic or can only detect this musk peripherically. After the full wear of yesterday, i saw that the topnotes is what i don`t like on it and it`s what gives me the gucci nobile nod that i don`t like and that mades me think of a not original version of Gucci Nobile. I like better the scent after 4-5 hours, when i started to notice something that smelled "wine-y" and flowery at the same time. And the base has a warm, slightly sweet and woody aroma that i like, that although is not strong on me, lingers for a long time and keeps coming to my nose. I didn`t feel in love with this one, it`s better crafted than the nowadays fragrances, but the topnotes of this one leave a flatly impression to me.

AromiErotici

I was thinking, the borderline feral aspect that you detect, do you feel it`s because of the musk at basenotes? If so, maybe i`m anosmic or can only detect this musk peripherically. After the full wear of yesterday, i saw that the topnotes is what i don`t like on it and it`s what gives me the gucci nobile nod that i don`t like and that mades me think of a not original version of Gucci Nobile. I like better the scent after 4-5 hours, when i started to notice something that smelled "wine-y" and flowery at the same time. And the base has a warm, slightly sweet and woody aroma that i like, that although is not strong on me, lingers for a long time and keeps coming to my nose. I didn`t feel in love with this one, it`s better crafted than the nowadays fragrances, but the topnotes of this one leave a flatly impression to me.
    What gives me this quality is the blast of wormwood and petitgrain. There's spice as well and the rose is there, but not as pronounced as it is in Ungaro III. Amber and tonka in the drydown isn't a loud duo nor is it powdery sweet.

The longevity could be better as I get a few hours out of it before it's simply a skin scent. However, none of the Ungaro trilogy afforded me mega sillage or longevity. They all could have used more oomph.

I just got my bottles of Ungaro I. Can't wait to take it for a spin tonight!

I just wore U2 from my sample the other day, after not wearing it for a long time, and my impression this time was that it's pleasant, sort of like PdN's NY but without the strong orange blossom and with the strong civet instead. Also like Lalique pour homme lion but again, not as sweet and without civet. I'm not a huge fan of these frags, but I'll wear the Lalioque once in a while because I have a bottle of it.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th September 2010 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I just got my bottles of Ungaro I. Can't wait to take it for a spin tonight!

This stuff is incredible!

U2 is a great and complex scent that I wear in summer. The lavender then cloves then civet progression is amazing. Nothing like it on the market.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I have loved III for a long time, just managed to get a bottle of Ungaro I and am now on the hunt for II...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...