Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question EU basenoters....how are these ?

I recieved confirmation from 4711 that these are NOT distributed to the USA, so I can't test them, nor will they send me samples....

I am referring to 4711's new line Acqua Colonia:

Quote Originally Posted by 4711 + Maurer & Wirtz
    4711 Acqua Colonia in cooperation with Maurer & Wirtz has presented a new line of colognes for men and women. The fragrances will win you over with their natural ingredients and they promise unique, fresh and sensual aromas. The collection includes the following fragrances:

Royal Riesling (white grapes)
    Lemon & Ginger
    Blood Orange & Basil
    Lavender & Thyme
    Vetyver & Bergamot
    Melissa & Verbena
    Rhubarb & Clary Sage

These must be fairly common at drugstores in the EU...
    ...has anyone tried them?
    Last edited by DULLAH; 24th August 2010 at 08:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EU basenoters....how are these ?

If a perfume lover goes to hell, he will be put in a vat of these. Cheap dreck about sums it up. Only the verbena was adequate, but there's better fare for the money, and I haven't tried rhubarb.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, I am still somewhat eagerly looking forward to testing the complete newer product range, in the hope that at least these more recent releases have that special something different from 4711

You are right they are available in stores everywhere, never really gave any attention to these (remember testing one of these and all I can remember is that it had no projection), next time I'm out I'll give it a closer look and let you know

You are right they are available in stores everywhere, never really gave any attention to these (I tested one of these and all I can remember is that it had no projection), next time I'm out I'll give it a closer look.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 24th August 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I only tried the vetyver and bergamot, which is quite nice, although I don't detect much vetyver. It is actually fairly cheap (in Italy it goes for 45 eur/200ml), but you really get what you pay for, it's really on the cheapo side. Worth trying, I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    If a perfume lover goes to hell, he will be put in a vat of these. Cheap dreck about sums it up. Only the verbena was adequate, but there's better fare for the money, and I haven't tried rhubarb.
    Ok, so at least the verbena was adequate you say....was it more on the sour or sweet side of things? More citral or more limonene? Well, I for one enjoy 4711 even in it's current form, and don't find it too synthetic to like. So taking that into account, can anyone give any analaysis / similarities for these from the range:

Royal Riesling (white grapes)
    Lemon & Ginger
    Melissa & Verbena
    Blood Orange & Basil

I'm very very interested in those 4.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested some of them but was not really that excited. In the vein of the Guerlain Aquas, I thought. Light summer colognes. The Melissa and Verbena interested me most but I found I did not want to smell it on me for a whole day. I also tested another one but wasn't swept away either. I also found them quite expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    I tested some of them but was not really that excited. In the vein of the Guerlain Aquas, I thought. Light summer colognes. The Melissa and Verbena interested me most but I found I did not want to smell it on me for a whole day.
    This all seems complimetary....both to their quality (Guerlain Aqua Allegoria line), and lol......longevity (not smelling like Melissa all day)

2 for Melissa & Verbena

Color me interested as I like both notes alot.
    Anyone have an opinion on either the Blood Orange/Basil, or especially the Royal Resiling (white grapes) ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    This all seems complimetary....both to their quality (Guerlain Aqua Allegoria line), and lol......longevity (not smelling like Melissa all day)

2 for Melissa & Verbena

Color me interested as I like both notes alot.
    Anyone have an opinion on either the Blood Orange/Basil, or especially the Royal Resiling (white grapes) ????
    In all honesty I didn't have any inclination to waste neurons on remembering this stuff, but contrary to the others, Royal Riesling is basically a variation of the original 4711. It smells nothing like a good, or even a bad, Riesling wine. N.B. The quality of the materials or the composition isn't anywhere near the good or decent Guerlain AAs like Pamplelune or Herba Fresca (I am aware the recent ones are apparently rather gross). More like Turkish Kartopu Kolonya, which however sells for 3 Euros / 400ml, a far more honest "get what you pay for" ratio.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty I didn't have any inclination to waste neurons on remembering this stuff, but contrary to the others, Royal Riesling is basically a variation of the original 4711. It smells nothing like a good, or even a bad, Riesling wine. N.B. The quality of the materials or the composition isn't anywhere near the good or decent Guerlain AAs like Pamplelune or Herba Fresca (I am aware the recent ones are apparently rather gross). More like Turkish Kartopu Kolonya, which however sells for 3 Euros / 400ml, a far more honest "get what you pay for" ratio.
    Would you rank the Melissa/Verbena qualitatively above or below these Turkish colognes:

Duru Limon Kolonyasi
    Pereja Limon Kolonyasi

?

And cn you remember the impression of the Blood Orange/Basil at all ?
    A word or two maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Would you rank the Melissa/Verbena qualitatively above or below these Turkish colognes:

Duru Limon Kolonyasi
    Pereja Limon Kolonyasi

?

A word or two maybe?
    AAah Limon Kolonyasi...the sharp biting lemon always used to perk me up, no matter if I was at a cafe, gas station, etc. I gotta say from what I recall of it, it smelled quite natural..
    -

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

so..... you're not a fan?

Post Thanks / Like

Duru Limon Kolonyasi
    Pereja Limon Kolonyasi

?

A word or two maybe?
    Sorry, I do not know those. But imagine your typical $10 verbena cologne, like you find it in any souvenir shop in Southern France and it's not quite as good. All the others smelled shamefully cheap - the lavender was shockingly bad, I mean we're talking simple pleasures here - how cheap do you have to get to make a really bad lavender. As ypu have certainly noticed, it simply makes me angry, when some multination corporation thinks it can charge €25 for a bottle of swill and innocent cosnumers will think: "this is perfume, what's all the fuss about, smells like my toilet cleaner..."
    My Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I do not know those. But imagine your typical $10 verbena cologne, like you find it in any souvenir shop in Southern France and it's not quite as good. All the others smelled shamefully cheap - the lavender was shockingly bad, I mean we're talking simple pleasures here - how cheap do you have to get to make a really bad lavender. As ypu have certainly noticed, it simply makes me angry, when some multination corporation thinks it can charge €25 for a bottle of swill and innocent cosnumers will think: "this is perfume, what's all the fuss about, smells like my toilet cleaner..."
    So for instance L'Occitane's Verbena is ALOT better ?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else tested the Blood Orange & Basil enough to make an opinion or better yet comparison?