Code of Conduct

Thread: Yellow Roses

Smile Yellow Roses

Hey y'all -

At the risk of boring everyone with yet another rose thread, I received this glorious golden bouquet from my charming friend sophi (thanks again!) and I thought I'd try to match my sotd to it today. But while I have plenty of roses of the rich red and sweet pink variety, even hot pink and orange, I have nothing that feels yellow to me. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a fragrance that might suggest yellow roses.

I suppose the most obvious way to go would be lemony roses, but that's not always the way my brain works. Stella McCartney's Rose Absolute is plenty lemony, but those roses are fresh and definitely pink in my mind. Maybe what I'm looking for is a rose-based fragrance that feels sunny, golden and warm rather than yellow. Sublime, Ysatis and L'Instant all give me this sunny golden impression, but I want a strong rose accord, too - does this description resonate with anyone?

Thank you!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Yellow Roses

Eau Fraiche de Rosine is supposed to be yellow roses....

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...au_frai_1.html

So is Rosine's Rose d'Ete, I think...it's citrusy and lovely. One of my favorites!
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

let's see...Celine Dion's Celine Dion has yellow roses...
    another one would be Rose Summer by Paul Smith
    there's even one named yellow rose by romane
    also, i think Rosine's Rose d'Eté also has yellow roses (my top pick here)
    Fred Hayman's Touch for women also has them.
    hmmm Gala de Dia by Loewe also has some too.

cheers!

My mind says that roses with a big dose of mimosa and/or osmanthus would smell very "yellow" to me, but I can't think of something that matches that description.

Jubilation 25 might work, although it may not be as rosey as you'd like. It's definitely golden, though. To me it registers as a lemony frankincense over golden amber with a touch of rose throughout.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I forgot to mention that yellow roses in perfumery are more of an "idea" and /or "landscape" to work with since the color of roses do not necessarily mean that the scent would differ from other colored roses...there are many many species of roses and many of them deeply fragrant (others not so much and some almost unscented) and some with even the same color could smell differently from each other and some with different colors that smell basically the same.

I would say that in general Yellow roses would imply a "happier, fresher, more vibrant" fragrance
    Red roses would be "sweeter, stronger, bolder" than other roses
    Pink roses: "softer, more romantic, more delicate and frail, cute"
    and then there's White roses: "very fragrant, elegant, waxier, cleaner, with an aura of olden times".

cheers

Thank you all for your responses! I thought it might be sort of a tricky request and was afraid it would come across as very literal - the roses don't really have to be yellow, I suppose, as actual yellow roses don't necessarily smell more yellow than red ones, but these suggestions all seem to be just what I'm looking for.

30 Roses and coopmom - Rose d'Ete and Rose d'Ete Eau Fraiche sound perfect - I don't know how I could have missed them in my exploration of the Rosines!

Sugandaraja - your mind tells you the same thing mine does. Rose d'Ete not only claims to have yellow roses but it also list linden, mimosa and ambrette which, I would imagine, should give it the sunny yellow "feel" I'm wanting. Osmanthus was a note I was actually considering and I thought I might have the answer with several fragrances already in my collection (which would be handy!) so I tried a few; 1000 de Patou and La Perla Parfum Privé had the best potential, but alas, they just aren't very rosey.

castorpollux - it's great that you list several that have never been anywhere need my radar! I have tried Touch but found it very indolic - I don't remember it being so rosey but the indoles would have stopped me from further research. The others are all new to me and I look forward to checking them out. Have you tried them? Do you get the rosey and golden aspect I'm describing?

SculptureOfSoul - Jubilation sounds fantastic, especially if it's rosey! I've just started exploring Amouage and was sorely disappointed to have to cross Dia and Lyric off my list, but maybe Jubilation will be the one for me.

That gives me such a good start - thank you all so much! Of course if y'all think of anything else with sunny golden and rosey composure, please feel free to add them!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

When I read the initial post, I immediately thought of Clarins` L`amour toujours! yellow little lemony rose...

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I forgot to mention that yellow roses in perfumery are more of an "idea" and /or "landscape" to work with since the color of roses do not necessarily mean that the scent would differ from other colored roses...there are many many species of roses and many of them deeply fragrant (others not so much and some almost unscented) and some with even the same color could smell differently from each other and some with different colors that smell basically the same.

I would say that in general Yellow roses would imply a "happier, fresher, more vibrant" fragrance
    Red roses would be "sweeter, stronger, bolder" than other roses
    Pink roses: "softer, more romantic, more delicate and frail, cute"
    and then there's White roses: "very fragrant, elegant, waxier, cleaner, with an aura of olden times".
    Yes - I agree! It seems we were thinking the same thing. The only thing I would want to stay away from would be anything too obviously lemony-fresh, and I think I might actually prefer the idea of golden roses over yellow. They'd still be happy and vibrant and cheerful, but warm notes like mimosa or osmanthus might be able to mellow an overly-fresh accord.

Welcome Malegria and thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't noticed L'Amour Toujours, but I'll certainly look for it now! (I have seen Par Amour Toujours - I gather this one is different...?)

Basenotes Plus

Both Rose d'Ete and Rose d'Ete Eau Fraiche are very beautiful Yellow Rose fragrances.

I don't know any perfumes that smell like yellow roses, although Bath and
    Bodyworks P.S. I Love You, has it listed as a note. Anyway,this yellow rose smells
    of liquorice
    http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy....rite-rose.html

Yellow roses are supposed to represent friendship by the way.
    Last edited by kewart; 26th August 2010 at 07:31 AM.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    castorpollux - it's great that you list several that have never been anywhere need my radar! I have tried Touch but found it very indolic - I don't remember it being so rosey but the indoles would have stopped me from further research. The others are all new to me and I look forward to checking them out. Have you tried them? Do you get the rosey and golden aspect I'm describing?
    I own all of them minus Romane's Yellow Rose, which i have never tried either.
    Of the ones I mentioned the one that seems to have that aura of golden rose it's Paul Smith's Rose Summer, it's a good interpretation of the colour, with an added touch of fruitiness.
    The Celine Dion one is also nice, but the yellow rose is more of a balanced act between the lily of the valley, peaches,orange blossom and what they call "tahitian flower".
    The one i like best is the Rosine scent, but i would call that one a pale yellow rose instead of a golden one.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Yes - I agree! It seems we were thinking the same thing. The only thing I would want to stay away from would be anything too obviously lemony-fresh, and I think I might actually prefer the idea of golden roses over yellow. They'd still be happy and vibrant and cheerful, but warm notes like mimosa or osmanthus might be able to mellow an overly-fresh accord.
    I think so too, i also think it would help if it comes with a combo of Tuberose, Jasmin (only good quality of course) and possibly even osmanthus.
    Other notes but of the fruity category would add more of a golden tone to them too like sweet passion fruit (instead of the sour one) and sweet papaya.

cheers

Alrighty then - I have a samples of Rose d'Ete & Eau Fraiche on the way to me, and I'm on the look-out for several others.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'll be interested in your impressions of the Eau Fraiche.

I originally thought I'd get the regular Rose d'Ete thinking the eau Fraiche would just be a lighter version, but the topnotes are completely different while the heart and base remain the same. Eau Fraiche has citrus tangerine and pear, and Rose d'Ete has galbanum, green apple and bergamot, so they should be quite different, at least at first. (Not that it sounds golden, but I'm also gettting Zephir de Rose which has anise, basil and ambrette. I'll narrow it down once I've tried them all, but it's difficult - those Rosines are all so luscious!)

Now I want to try the eau Fraiche, too! Please do let us know what you think.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.