Code of Conduct

Default Rediscovering Annick Goutal Duel

I love iris, and I liked the romantic concept of the out-dated duel! Two men, on a point of honour, willing to inflict some damage on one another. Not all duels were mortal, and sometimes each party just wanted to "pink" (draw blood) the other in order to extract the satisfaction found only in an apology. (Once two courtesans duelled one another with horsewhips, each trying to inflict damge on the other's beauty!)

Need I say my perfume poster-boy would have loved the name, too, as he was a formidable duellist with both pistol and sabre, and probably his fists, as he was a bare-knuckles boxer who managed to keep his Apollonian nose intact unto his grave. Often potential rivals would back down from a challenge simply on his fearsome reputation.

I have remarked about the lack of longevity of this, but today it worked for me. The sun was hot and I can still smell the scent (albeit faintly) six hours later. Not bad for an EDT.

Leather/iris and definitely unisex:

From Bois de Jasmin: http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...e_revie_4.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Rediscovering Annick Goutal Duel

A long time ago I bought it blind after reading all the good reviews online. On paper, it was beautiful and organic in the best possible way. I didn’t detect iris though. On my skin, however, the tea was so smoky and prominent, so suffocating that I could only wear it outdoors and only when it was windy so that I could get a chance to enjoy other notes. The longevity on my skin was poor, too.

What a pity. I really wanted like it. Nevertheless, it’s good to know that you enjoy it.

Such a nice a and volatile black tea fragrance. The acrid intro puts it in a rank all its own, despite the seemingly simplicity of its development. It was the goodbye fragrance to an era of incredible creativity and challenge by Annick Goutal.

Iris is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think in the Duel fragrance. To me, is more like a fresh, dark tea, with some violet leafs and a soft leather base. Close to skin, but perfect for summer. One of my goutal favorites

Maybe the iris on Duel is the silver note that I sense more than feel in Duel. Now that you said that, it looks like the same iris on Silver Factory by Bond No 9 (i`m not saying that they are similar!). It`s a different iris, neither powdery nor rooty, but with a silver metal-like aroma.

Basenotes Plus

I get the iris and enjoy it. Would have even bought a FB if it wasn't for its serious lack of legs (on my skin)...

Probably my favorite from this house.....Gary

A quality scent, but the lemon and tea accord was overwhelming on my skin. I may as well have poured an "Arnold Palmer" all over myself!

The tea notes in Duel are similar to the tea notes in Bvlgari Black - and they remind me of rubber.
    Thus when I wear Duel, it reminds me of the killer truck tearing up it's tyres in that old movie called "Duel".
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The tea notes in Duel are similar to the tea notes in Bvlgari Black - and they remind me of rubber.
    Thus when I wear Duel, it reminds me of the killer truck tearing up it's tyres in that old movie called "Duel".
    Renato
    Thanks for that reminder. iirc awesome old movie by Steven Spielberg, wasn't it?

It seems the consensus is that this does not have longevity. I think one's skin makes the difference. I think perspiring in warm weather, in my case, did the trick.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Got to try this for the first time just the other day. Seems really good stuff to me. The most realistic tea note I've ever experienced and a nicely played iris.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'