Code of Conduct

Default Adventures at Heathrow

I was at the Heathrow airport when returning to the US, and so I decided to check out the fragrances at the duty free.

My first aim was to check out the Guerlain fragrances cos I wanted to get Apres L'Ondee, and L'Heure Bleue EDP, but they didn't have it and the SA told me that it's no longer available in the UK (?!)

I then went to look for Opium pour Homme EDP, but nope, not there either. Neither did I find Egoiste (the SA said it is exclusive to some departmental store in the UK?).

But all was not lost. I got to try Bleue de Chanel, and it smelt like generic citrus. I then tried Fahrenheit Absolute, which smells like Fahrenheit with less of the gasoline plus more tar and chocolate. Interesting, but couldn't decide if I wanted it. Then I tried Eau Sauvage Extreme, and again, it felt like a rather generic citrus. I'm not sure if this is the reformulated version, but I was hoping that Dior would really up the 'sauvage' for the Extreme flanker. But this makes me treasure my Fraicheur Cuir more...

I think the biggest surprise I found was La Nuit De L'Homme. I see the EDT everywhere, but that was the first time I'd seen the EDP version. The SA said that it was the newest YSL to hit the market, so I gave it a try... and it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Granted, I had Fahrenheit Absolute and Eau Sauvage Extreme on my arms already, so the LNDL EDP sort of disappeared.

I guess the next time I'm in the UK, I'm going to hunt around outside the duty free since you can still get tax refund at the airport.

Default Re: Adventures at Heathrow

Egoiste was withdrawn from the UK in early 1995, a mere five years after its introduction in September 1990. This coincided with the Platinum launch in the same year. I'd like to know where that SA got her information. I've never seen it available in any department store in the UK.

Cartier Santos Concentree is another well-loved favourite that disappeared towards the end of the 90's. Still, all is not lost, one can still purchase any number of celebrity scents and they stock all the usual mundane stuff that's been released in the last ten years or so.

I think the SA said that it can be found at Harvey Nichols. I wonder if any UK members can confirm this?

I know Egoiste is available at the Chanel concessions counter in Selfridges, thats where I've tested it. Dont know if its in Harvey Nichols as well, I have only ever visited that store for 5 minutes when my wife wanted something specific and we went nowhere near the fragrance department.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I know Egoiste is available at the Chanel concessions counter in Selfridges, thats where I've tested it. Dont know if its in Harvey Nichols as well, I have only ever visited that store for 5 minutes when my wife wanted something specific and we went nowhere near the fragrance department.
    Yes, and it's also available in Chanel Boutiques in London at least. Bond street, Sloane street and Brompton road.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I was at the Heathrow airport when returning to the US, and so I decided to check out the fragrances at the duty free.

My first aim was to check out the Guerlain fragrances cos I wanted to get Apres L'Ondee, and L'Heure Bleue EDP, but they didn't have it and the SA told me that it's no longer available in the UK (?!)
    I could've sworn i saw them at Harrods.

I stop at Terminal 5 when I fly back to the U.S.

I'm disappointed that you can't buy any of the British brands like Penhaligon's, Trumpers, Taylor, Czech and Speake, Floris, etc. Most of the stuff is the same that you see in most Duty Free shops around the world.

In Terminal 5 there is a Jo Malone section, a small Kiehl's section, and a counter selling various Tom Fords, including some of the Private Blends. But everything else is the same old same old.

Duty Free shops carry global brands, that means that in terms of variety they are quite boring.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I could've sworn i saw them at Harrods.
    Apres L'Ondee is definitely available at Harrods - I checked recently. I don't know about L'Heure Bleue EDP.

Thanks. I'll definitely look out for it at Harrods. By the way, is there somewhere to try/buy the Guerlain exclusive range in the UK?

I'm not sure about the exclusives. I've heard they might be available at Harrods, but the last time I asked (for Vetiver pour Elle), they didn't have it. Mind you, that was a year ago, so it might've changed by now. In any case, I'll be happy to try and find out as I'll be living near-ish to South Kensington/Knightsbridge in a few weeks time.