Code of Conduct

Question Frags that you love.. BUT, only when you wear them less frequently?

Earlier I was replying to a thread and thinking of some frags that were underrated, then I decided not to post them, because my star ratings on them always fluctuate. Reason being.. I love them, but only in moderation. By "in moderation" I don't mean how many sprays.. rather how often.

There's a handful in my wardrobe that I just can't wear continuously, and the more I do, the more I start to dislike the fragrance. For me these select few are: Diesel Zero Plus, Paradox Green, Blue Sugar, and Paris Hilton. There are a couple others but these are the ones that I find my ratings fluctuating between 3 and 4 stars. 3 stars to me is a good bottle worthy fragrance, 4 stars is more impressive of course.

Anyways, I'm sure some of you folks feel the same way about certain fragrances, what are they, and perhaps why do they make you have an unstable relationship with them?
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 26th August 2010 at 04:00 AM.

Default Re: Frags that you love.. BUT, only when you wear in moderation?

Definitely Windsor. I have 50ml at the moment (well it's probably more like 45ml now) and would love to wear it more often. I have a flacon reserved for the rerelease but I'll wait till it's actually in my hands before I feel safe to start wearing this stuff more often.

Montale Red Aoud - I always need to tread carefully with this one. I love it but it can be overpowering on my skin.

Sur la Plage

None that I can think of. But I don't wear the same thing too often.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bois du portugal for sure, it is my favorite fragrance out there but i only wear it from time to time it can destroy the nerves in you nose if you wear it too often but it is a wonderful scent, that and vintage tabarome i wear in moderation.

I have quite a few old time classic feminines, A la Nuit, Bal a Versailles, Scherrer - that I rarely wear.

Rive Gauche ph
    Smellin good

That would be Aramis (original) ..but it's more of a love-hate thing because i once knew a guy that oversprayed and then oversprayed some more and was very annoying as a person.
    So whenever i wear this it's in moderation of course (or not so often, as you mentioned what moderation meant to you.)

I also own many fragrances marketed for women but i just don't use them as much as i'd like to and certainly don't go crazy on the spray. I love and appreciate many of them as works of art.

Armani Eau pour Homme- because of the comparative difficulty to find occasions even remotely appropriate for wearing this
    Chanel Antaeus, Francesco Smalto pour Homme, Knize Ten, Grey Flannel, Drakkar Noir and several others- because of the above average, often immense strength and lasting power of these frags, making even scarce and rare applications more than sufficient

Speaking of Blue Sugar, I just ordered a sample of that after reading reviews on my next purchase (M. Micallef Note Vanillee). Atleast 2 people mentioned Blue Sugar smelling a lot like it. So if I get an identical smell from this super inexpensive fragrance, I may end up getting it instead of that Vanillee.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Grey Flannel

Love it. But I few of the people I hang out with are quite ready for it... Time to find more local Basenoters to hang out with, eh?.

For me, most of the powerhouse scents fall into the "not-so-often" category. And -as The_cologneits says- the more I wear them, the less I like them. Name and shame: AMen, APOM Maison Francis Kurkdjian (this one I keep on loving, it just gets too intense), Obsession, to name a few.

I wore some Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur to work recently. It was the first time, so I applies lightly. I thought it smells decent, but I was glad it didn't overproject, because it probably wouldn't have been as nice.

Serge Lutens Cedre is beautiful with one or two (distant) sprays, but gaudy with three or more. No other fragrance i've tried morphs into such a monster when over applied.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Creed Original Santal is probably one of the few in my wardrobe that fits this. I love it but it's really only a once in a while scent and has limited situations I'd use it in. All my other stuff I can wear it as regularly as I like even if my collection is getting to a point where there isn't enough time in the week to get to all of them each week. I'm already looking to add 2-3 more and have a line on a sample stash to buy that will keep my nostrils busy until the world ends on 2012....those dam Mayans! I need more time to smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Silver Mountain Water I must use occasionally. If I use it too often I focus on my perception of smelling like someone spilled beer on me. Not sure why, but at times I think I smell like an alcoholic when I wear it. I hope the frag hasn't spoiled.

Montale Red Aoud, it can be overpowering old lady smell if I smell it to often, but every now and then it smells like Aoud mixed with cherry chocolate.

Salvador Dali pour Homme and M7 (vintage), both of which have monster projection on my skin. Lately, I'm rarely in social setting where such sillage is appropriate, neither do I want to choke on my own fumes.

Basenotes Institution

Probably the strongest, sweetest ones in my wardrobe fall into this category. Nice every-once-in-a-while, but I can't imagine reaching for these regularly: Arabie by Serge Lutens, L' Heure Bleue by Guerlain, Orris by Tauer...to name a few.

Another fearful admirer of Antaeus here.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Blog Entries

I rotate through my wardrobe A LOT, and rarely wear anything more than 1 or 2 days in a row. So I don't really get tired of any of my fragrances. If any of them fit this criteria for me though I guess it would be Mugler Cologne. I absolutely love it, but I'm not sure I could wear it every day if I had to.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

It wouldn't be in my collection if i had to purposely wear it in moderation (assuming the OP means frequency of wear, not amounts applied). Since i do not limit wearing to any specific weather, only the slightly large number of frags i have determine frequency of wear.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Rive Gauche PH

Blog Entries

EDIT: DOH! misunderstood the thread

I really can only wear John Varvatos once a month/ on special occasions. I LOVE the smell, but it gets extremely cloying to me if i wear it more than 1-2 times in a month. I also douse myself in it because some days itll have no projection, then randomly it'll blast my head off.

Fumidus. Love the smell. But as a woman, I don't dare wear it in public. Only rarely at home.

DeepSilence

Tuscan Leather
    Lalique PH
    Venezia Uomo
    A*Man

Only scents I can wear for 2 weeks straight without tiring of them:
    Windsor
    Selection Verte
    West Indian Limes
    Concentre D'Orange Verte

But especially I can't wear the following for more than 2 days in a row:

Santal Noble
    Tobacco Vanille
    Pure Malt
    Pure Coffee
    L'Anarchiste
    Castile
    M7 Fresh
    Silver Mountain Water
    Eav Des Bavx
    ^Those are 1 day on, 4 days off mostly.

Black Orchid and Black Oud. Both fantastic, but overspray (which isn't hard to do) and it'll knock you out!
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    It wouldn't be in my collection if i had to purposely wear it in moderation (assuming the OP means frequency of wear, not amounts applied). Since i do not limit wearing to any specific weather, only the slightly large number of frags i have determine frequency of wear.
    Correct sir, I see some misunderstood the topic..

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    EDIT: DOH! misunderstood the thread

I really can only wear John Varvatos once a month/ on special occasions. I LOVE the smell, but it gets extremely cloying to me if i wear it more than 1-2 times in a month. I also douse myself in it because some days itll have no projection, then randomly it'll blast my head off.
    I also agree with this about JV, the more I wear it the less special it feels, the more cloying it becomes, the less longevity I get. JV has always been a very temperamental one for me, but after getting to know it, its qualities and flaws, I have to wear it less often, to get the beauty of it.

Default Re: Frags that you love.. BUT, only when you wear them less frequently?

I agree about Black Aoud and L'Heure Bleue.