Code of Conduct

Thread: Customs Duties

Default Customs Duties

I am looking to buy a bunch of stuff from overseas, for myself and a few mates.

What are the customs duties that I need to be aware of? I know that generally, you need to stay below $1000, but I am unsure with regard to colognes.

Is anyone in the know? or has anyone had experiences?

All info is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Customs Duties

Where do you live ? Here in the UK we have customs and excise and VAT on anything over around 20 and then Parcelforce clobber us with a clearing and admin fee , so when making a large purchase its really best to factor in an additional 20% if you get caught out . It all seems very random tho to be honest ...

Saying that I have never had a charge when buying from Japan which I have done regularly for the past 10 years , but nearly every time when buying from the US I get a charge

I am in Australia,

I am looking for australian experiences, hopefully there is a serial purchaser who can give me/us some info.

Appreciate your time taken.
    Thanks

Dimitri / sourcery of scent here on basenotes if your guy

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

If Dimitri (Sorcery of Scent) comes on the thread, I would like to know the best way to describe the contents on the customs label if I want to send a package of perfume samples to someone in Australia. Will "cosmetics samples" do?

Basenotes Institution

30 Roses- I recently sent perfume to Australia - a small bottle in a padded envelope and it got through. I found 'small glass ornament' works well. It's my usual thing- glass ornament .Value $ 25 to 27 .
    The more descriptive but still vague, you are- the better, I find.
    ( Amazingly, one of the perfumers from Australia involved with the Mystery of Musk sent samples with a customs declaration of 'fragrance oils'- which I received well. Though I would not risk it myself )

Pour Monsieur- yes, I was hit with 100 pounds extra in tax when my husband sent me earrings from the US to London ! Nearly died.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th July 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

USPS is quite paranoid about even small amounts of perfume in air mail packages, even though airlines allow passengers to fly with fragrance in checked luggage, and small amounts in carry on bags.

If I write "perfume" or "fragrance" on the customs label, I think I won't be allowed to mail it. Although, one employee at our P.O. seems to feel that non-aerosol (non-pressurized) bottles are not a problem. It all seems to depend on which employee one gets at the counter.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    USPS is quite paranoid about even small amounts of perfume in air mail packages, even though airlines allow passengers to fly with fragrance in checked luggage, and small amounts in carry on bags.

If I write "perfume" or "fragrance" on the customs label, I think I won't be allowed to mail it. Although, one employee at our P.O. seems to feel that non-aerosol (non-pressurized) bottles are not a problem. It all seems to depend on which employee one gets at the counter.
    I think you will be alright if you describe it as 'glass' on the customs label.

Here's the other thing. There are 2 customs labels out right now. The old green one ( called Customs Declaration CN22 ) which is simpler and the new multi paged customs form.The new one is horrible to use and mistakes easily made.

I asked at the post office if it is OK to use the old green customs label and ,yes it is. They are still displaying them for use at my post office - so I have taken a few home for my next 'send out' abroad .
    In fact the USPS office clerks prefer the old green label as they themselves have received no instruction re. the new one. ( From my long conversation at the post office with the clerk.)
    I use the old green ones - they are still acceptable.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th July 2010 at 02:58 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Australian customs are likely to open any package that is labelled suspiciously anyway. A fellow BNer has sent me samples labelled as "crayons" lol, and the package was opened. Generally perfumes posted INTO Australia are let through without too much hassle (parfum extraitshowever are sometimes taxed and duties charged if in large volumes).
    Sending perfume OUT of Australia is a whole other ball game and requires a lot of slight of hand. I won't encourage anyone to lie on a customs form, though half-truths like "glass bottle" or "bathroom supplies" will occasionally succeed.
    Im sure other Aussie members like gupts will be able to chime in here too
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 8th July 2010 at 01:33 AM.

so it would be reasonable to assume that we would not have a problem bringing in about 10 bottles at about $600.

Should I say it would be reasonable to assume that it would be low risk that we would be stung for duties.

Thanks
    Guys

Has anyone in Aus been stung?

@Dimitri...happy to chime in mate...

@Vovo.... I have made countless purchases from overseas and have never had any issues with the customs....A lot of sellers have quite shockingly declared the contents of the packages as 'perfume bottle' or 'Perfume' and even those packages have not been intercepted....Once I got a package marked as 'Jewellery box' when it contained my 300ml monster bottle of Mugler Cologne that was shipped from the UK....This package was opened by customs (as they put a sticker on the parcel) and to my utter disbelief it was resealed and sent to me without a hitch....I have even had big parcels containing almost 15-20 bottles coming in from the USA with declared value of over $600, come through with zilch custom duty or anything.....

What I've learnt over the years is that they are more concerned about not letting in plant material and other similar stuff.
    I would say that the postal authorities are more of a concern than the customs when shipping perfumes.
    I was about to buy some oud chips from overseas but I learnt on a thread that another fellow basenoter had his package confiscated because it contained 'wood' pieces. So that is where I'd be cautious. As far as perfumes go, if the past is a indicator of things, you are ok......

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys,

I purchased 9 bottles and a few samples for a little over $500 plus shipping on the 19th July, they arrived yesterday with out a problem. Took 10mins to get through customs.

Brilliant

Blog Entries

Just for general information:

I have made a few fragrance purchases from Hong Kong (StrawberryNET) and the US and all of them have put "cosmetics" in one form or another.

The most recent example was a giant bottle of Bois des Iles which was labeled "body lotion". I laughed when I got it.

I have never had a problem with customs - only the retailers themselves. >.>

The other way is a different story - re: Sorcery of Scent's post (sheesh that was hard - always read "Dimitri" when I see those words).
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

I'm in Australia and ordered a bottle of Like This from LuckyScent and had it sent Priority Mail International USPS. The tracking status has been sitting on "Into Foreign Customs (Australia)" on the USPS site for 6 days now. Auspost said if it's perfume it can be held up to 3 weeks (?!) in customs. I've ordered perfume from other countries before and many samples from LuckyScent and never had anything held in customs for such a long time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

(Also, Hello, I'm Verity, I'm a lurker, nice to meet you :-)

Blog Entries

This just happens sometimes Verity. It's happened to me once. It will probably stay there the whole 3 weeks as mine did but as long as you get it I figure it's all good. You know it's there at least.

Wow, one post in nearly 3 years - AWESOME!
    I'm a semi-lurker as well. I have large bouts of activity then disappear for ages.
    Maybe that's why no one has befriended me ... D: (lol)

Nice to meet you too!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Verity, I had a similar experience recently where a small bubble envelope with samples stayed in customs only to arrive 46 days after they were originally posted from the UK! They were just 3 run-of-the-mill 8-10ml atomisers inside. So I guess its the luck of the draw!
    With those odds though, perhaps you ought to go buy a lotto ticket

Thanks for your responses Kal and Sorcery of Scent :-) I can't believe it but the perfume arrived today. It'd been opened by Quarantine even though the description was Cosmetics and they had ticked the "Gift" box on the customs declaration. The tracking site still says "Into Foreign Customs" :-\ Stupid Aus post.

@Sorcery of Scent - 46 days?! That's horrendous. Had it been opened by customs?

@Kal - 2 post in 3 years is fairly standard lurker behaviour for me. I'll now retreat back into lurker land :-)