Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question "Erolfa" by Creed?

Today I bought a bottle of Erolfa by Creed, the sales rep of the Paris boutique said that she had never smelled it smell that good on another person. In fact I wanted to buy another scent and she almost begged me to buy Erolfa, I ended up being convinced and that was even before she said that "my girlfriend would rip the clothes off my body when I'd come home". Publicity gag, crush or can a fragrance really smell different depending on the skin type?

What do you people think of Erolfa? Evening wear? Day? Anywhere, anytime?

Blog Entries

Default Re: "Erolfa" by Creed?

What do i think of EROLFA? smelled terrible on my skin i was surprised at how bad it was to me considering alot of people do like it

Whenever I wear it my girlfriend rips my clothes off my body. Now she wears it too.

So maybe it does have something to do with skin types. My sister just told me if I wasn't her brother she'd bury her nose in my chest! O.o

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
    Publicity gag, crush or can a fragrance really smell different depending on the skin type?
    none of the above. Answer: Saleswoman.

that being said, Erolfa is an extremely versatile and variable scent. from bottle to bottle, from person to person, and in different climates/temps/humidity.

still my go to when at the beach (which is a lot). i love how it smells different at the beach in the heat of summer as opposed to a cool autumn day.

that said, i hardly ever reach for it when not at the beach. that goes for VIW as well. love both fragrances, but they are very niche for me.

From bottle to bottle? Is that a bad thing?

Banned

From bottle to bottle? Is that a bad thing?
    to some it is! from my readings on here, it seems that really pisses people off.

knowing how they concoct their frags though, I don't mind. I actually think it's pretty cool. Kind of like wine, no two vintages are alike. could be the same grapes in the same field, but the wine will vary from year to year depending on climate and other factors.

I think recent buyers of Erolfa get something a bit less "sharp" than an Erolfa buyer 10 years ago. I remember smelling Erolfa for the first time in 1998(ish) and I remember it having sturdier legs to stand on. I own a brand new bottle, though, and it has a fresher, more versatile and citrusy scent.

that said, the changes in Erolfa over the years have not been nearly as pronounced as Millesime Imperial. MI is all over the place! I've owned three bottles over the past 15 years and they have all smelled noticeably different. One of them, the juice was actually green!!

again, this comes with the territory of buying Creed, who still uses the infusion technique. there will be lots of variance. if you can't handle that, then don't blind-buy... definitely sample the very bottle you are looking to buy first.

To be honest i think one of the Bulgari Aqva is like Erolfa but way cheaper, i dont like either. Too salty for me.

I don't get any salt at all, surprising!

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    What do i think of EROLFA? smelled terrible on my skin i was surprised at how bad it was to me considering alot of people do like it
    same it is too salty and herbaly for my taste.

Smells uninteresting and develops a little too old, barbershop-ish, on me. Like most frags on me, it quickly vanishes.

If it smelled like feces but caused attractive women to rip their clothes off and throw themselves at me, I might wear it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    same it is too salty and herbaly for my taste.
    thats EXACTLY what i didn't like. I hadn't smelled a "salty" fragrance and that intrigued me but it ended up being this extremely herbal, somewhat bitter aroma...

I actually want to buy this because it is interesting.

I get a dentist's office type smell from it. Anyone else? I like it.

Dentist's office? O.o

The thing that comes to mind is a rallye dansant as once organized for upper class french people. Or maybe a young man in a blue shirt on a boat with his girlfriend.

It used to be a favorite of mine. Somehow I have lost interest in it.

As a sanity check, I tried a different from a tester. It didn't smell different actually.

I did get compliments for it though.

IMO, one of the best and most intresting fragrance from Creed. Salty? -Yes! And I love it! Maby it`s a bit on the casual side, but it`s a bit dirty and herbal, so It can also be used on more formal settings. great stuff!

Blog Entries

I love Erolfa. It is my favorite of the Creeds I've tried (the only one I would pay that kind of price for), and one of my overall favorite frags as well.

As far as making my someone want to rip my clothes of??? Nah. I've never even thought of it as that type of fragrance. On me its beautiful, fresh, clean, etc., but I don't really view it as "sexy" in any way. Unless, it is "sexy" in the way AdG is. It smells much better than AdG, but it's definitely in that classification. I've never gotten a compliment on it at all, but I do wear it kind of light (office), and I don't really expect any.

I get a little bit of saltiness, but nowhere near the saltiness of Bvlgari Aqva (which I also love). I don't get anything I would call herbal on my skin either. I do get some sweetness that I don't get out of Aqva, something akin to the base of L'eau D'Issey (just not that strong).

I love it though. Great fragrance on my skin.

Today I bought a bottle of Erolfa by Creed, the sales rep of the Paris boutique said that she had never smelled it smell that good on another person. In fact I wanted to buy another scent and she almost begged me to buy Erolfa, I ended up being convinced and that was even before she said that "my girlfriend would rip the clothes off my body when I'd come home". Publicity gag, crush or can a fragrance really smell different depending on the skin type?

What do you people think of Erolfa? Evening wear? Day? Anywhere, anytime?

Only near Svalbard when icebergs are getting near. No wonder the Titanic sank with that much E. on board.

But Erofla is a scent from 1992.

I personally like Erolfa a lot and think it can be worn anywhere, anytime.

I was wearing my sample of Erolfa today.

I often change my opinion on this scent. Today it worked really well on my skin. I think of it as a fruity aquatic. It is one of the smoothest scents I know. I also find it a bit dark and cold, much more so than other Creeds. It reminds me of the fresh, clear air after a thunderstorm. Yes there is a hint of salt, but I detect more citrus and woods, with the "ozonic notes" taking centre stage. The scent is very versatile, with average sillage and longevity.
    Looking for: Creed caps

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    thats EXACTLY what i didn't like. I hadn't smelled a "salty" fragrance and that intrigued me but it ended up being this extremely herbal, somewhat bitter aroma...
    Millesime imperial has sea salt but at least it is done well, this is overtly salty and bitter and herbal that it is not appealing to me. It seems we share similar tastes in colognes.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally like Erolfa a lot and think it can be worn anywhere, anytime.
    Likewise.
    It was my SOTD.
    Although I think the tangerine and fresh marine notes are wasted in temps below 50'F.

I actually like the newest, super-salty almost abrasively-fresh batches. It's a very complex scent that is alot more herbal and masculine than any other Aquatic. To think, the best aquatic to date was made a few years prior to the aquatic trend going big in the mainstream. And to think even before that, it's ancestor, CREED's Herbe marine, was an aquatic of similar pedigree.....I think Erolfa will be around for a long time.

The notes are all used and blended so well, that people don't at first realize how floral or herbal it is:

Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Lime, Morrocan Tangerine, Mandarin, Violet, Honeydew Melon, Jasmine, Cyclamen, Ginger, Coriander, Pepper, Caesarean Basil, Rosemary, Cumin, Pine, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Ambergris

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It used to be a favorite of mine. Somehow I have lost interest in it.

As a sanity check, I tried a different from a tester. It didn't smell different actually.

I did get compliments for it though.
    Wow, every word of this rings true for me, too. Used to like it. Haven't enjoyed it so much on the last few wearings. So I wondered if my bottle has gone off, but I tried it from a tester the other day and it smelled just like the juice in my bottle. And it has been a steady compliment-getter. Hmm.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Lime, Morrocan Tangerine, Mandarin, Violet, Honeydew Melon, Jasmine, Cyclamen, Ginger, Coriander, Pepper, Caesarean Basil, Rosemary, Cumin, Pine, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Ambergris
    wow... that's a lot.

add just 24 more notes and you'd have an Amouage! ;-)

I like Erolfa, I usually get 5-7 hours longevity on it, but last night I put about 6 sprays on my arm and it was STILL there 12 hours later. Many people think it's strictly a summer scent because of the salty/marine feel to it, but this would definitely work with a suit and tie. One of the more unique fresh scents from Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    Millesime imperial has sea salt but at least it is done well, this is overtly salty and bitter and herbal that it is not appealing to me. It seems we share similar tastes in colognes.
    Maby, but Erolfa last 10 times longer.. It`s a waist, spending so much money on a fragrance (M-I) that`s gone from the skin after 30min.

Well I heard people say that while it is in truth not gone after a while it seems so as it becomes undetectable to one's own nose, people around us can still smell it though. What do you think gents?

Well I heard people say that while it is in truth not gone after a while it seems so as it becomes undetectable to one's own nose, people around us can still smell it though. What do you think gents?
    Erolfa is one Creed I can still smell for a good long time. Even when it fades there's still a "thickness" to the air. I used to layer 1 spray of Erolfa to 2 sprays of Neroli Sauvage in order for the NS to last much longer than if it was NS alone.

With autumn soon approaching, perhaps Erolfa wouldn't be the ideal fragrance as it's more ocean beachy in character.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Maby, but Erolfa last 10 times longer.. It`s a waist, spending so much money on a fragrance (M-I) that`s gone from the skin after 30min.
    erolfa falls off my skin fast as well lol, all nice smelling fresh frags do, except green irish tweed but that is more moderate, millesime imperial lasts longer on me than virgin island water. I love it i would rather have mi that lasts 4 or 5 hours than a frag i dont like for twice as much time.

The notes are all used and blended so well, that people don't at first realize how floral or herbal it is:

Not saying this is incorrect, but it is interesting to see how the current Creed Boutique website lists the notes:

Top Notes: Citrus fruits and bergamot
    Middle Notes: Herbal notes
    Base Notes: Ambergris

But Erofla is a scent from 1992.
    Sorry, Esq., you are right and I was mistaken. In the shop where I try my scents they told me each passenger of the Titanic was given a bottle of Erolfa.

But they also told me Napoleon couldn't live without Bois du Portugal... And I BELIEVED them!!!! They just wait, the next time I see that SA, he'll get a thrashing from me for telling me all those dirty lies...

Hi, a technical question. First, is there any evidence regarding the list above? Especially if You state that these are blended so well nobody would ever get them analyzed. Second, if aromachemicals are used, what I believe is well known for exactly this Creed, namely Calone - does this chemical count as one certain "note" or is this chemical the origin of several "notes" at once, namely Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, ... Honeydew Melon ...? If so, any other multi-note component known?

Thank You!

ps: does anybody know about the specifics of Caesarean Basil compared to the generic variant? Same with Morrocan Tangerine. But Sandalwood - which kind is it - Australian or Indian? Musk?

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Hi, a technical question. First, is there any evidence regarding the list above? Especially if You state that these are blended so well nobody would ever get them analyzed. Second, if aromachemicals are used, what I believe is well known for exactly this Creed, namely Calone - does this chemical count as one certain "note" or is this chemical the origin of several "notes" at once, namely Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, ... Honeydew Melon ...? If so, any other multi-note component known?

Thank You!
    What exactly do you mean? What is is the proof that Odeur 53 does actually contain all 53 ingredients? Do you have any spectrum analysis charts? What about Guerlains Cologne du 68? Wheres the proof of that?

Erolfa certainly smells herbal to my nose and its one of the most complex aquatics on the market - theres a lot of citrus in the top notes, and I get a lot of herbs in the middle notes phase.

I am assuming you must have read over a 1000 fragrance pyramids in your lifetime...if you know the industry well, do you believe that every ingredient they list is an actual singular ingredient? It can be an amalgamate, or just an impression, or an actual ingredient.

You need to try Erolfa on your skin, and spend some time analyzing it. A 30 second test on a strip at a perfume shop (alongwith testing 30 other fragrances) is not a fair trial.
    -

It does indeed smell very differently on one's skin.
    I saw some reviewer posts and comments saying that Erolfa could easily be compared to other popular "youth" fragrances. Uh, really? :O

Sur la Plage

I personally loathe this fragrance. But if you like it, that is all that matters.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    What exactly do you mean? What is is the proof that Odeur 53 does actually contain all 53 ingredients? ...

Erolfa ... one of the most complex aquatics on the market ...
    ...if you know the industry well, do you believe that every ingredient they list is an actual singular ingredient? It can be an amalgamate, or just an impression, or an actual ingredient. ...
    What I mean: You post a "notes" list of Erolfa and comment, it would be of vast complexity. If the notes list is plain invention how could it provide evidence for Your statement regarding the complexity?

I don't get the connection to Odeur #53, sorry. O/k, there is something. O53 may consist of 53 ingredients, but it doesn't smell of any of them specifically. The notes list of O53 is not a fraud in that it makes You believe in precious naturals. It travels the line between free association and nasty. Open handed. I took the offer that O53 provides. Alas, it's hard to talk about - no pyramid ...

I find Erolfa to be an excellent tangy, abstract orange (equal doses orange and ozone) with salt and a smattering of herbs over a dry driftwood accord.

It's excellent, but lately I've begun to favor L'Artisan's Navegar which also presents a citrus/sea air/wood scent, but takes all elements in different directions. I find Navegar to be a bit rougher, whereas Erolfa is tart but smooth, and Navegar is definitely spicier. It replaces the orange of Erolfa with lime, the herbs with pepper and cedar (and a hint of anise and rum to darken things up), and a wonderful frankincense note in the drydown that augments the ozone accord. I find that it has a bit more character than Erolfa and evokes a different image in my mind: where Erolfa is a driftwood littered beach at high noon, Navegar is the sea
    spray and wind on an ancient merchant ship carrying spices from the orient. I also find Navegar to be wearable in more situations, whereas Erolfa is relegated to bright sunny days or those days actually spent at or on the water.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I used to have a 1oz bottle of Erolfa & I sold it, later. However I miss it.
    Erolfa is quite unique. I can't think of any fragrance out there that replicates the salty accord of Erolfa, although TDC Sel De Vetiver does deserve an honorable mention here. My only complaint against Erolfa was it's appalling longevity. Since I just had a tiny 1 oz bottle I could see it disappearing fast as I used to overspray, to make it last. That's the reason I just sold it.

Now my perception has changed and I don't get as perturbed about longevity as I used to. This brings Erolfa back into my game and I would certainly buy a bottle as soon as I can.

I'm worried because I seem to be the only one who doesn't smell any salt

I'm worried because I seem to be the only one who doesn't smell any salt
    What does it worry You for? Salt doesn't smell, it is taste only. Fragrances try to suggest salt by invocation of circumstances in which salt is prominent.

Creed Erolfa: aromachemical calone => specific smell brown algae => seaside => salty taste of air
    Heely Sel Marine: celery is as adstringent to the tounge as salt is (same with Sel De Vetiver?!)

If You have not yet made this association in real life, the effect will expectedly fail.

I live near the beach but uh, no, no salt for me.

Guys....does anyone know when did Creed discontinue the 'ship design' boxes of Erolfa?
    I am pretty sure the current box does not exhibit the sailing ship anymore.

I quizzed the Creed rep on what "Erolfa" stood for. Well, she had no idea. I felt like a know it all schoolin' her. She looked annoyed

Erolfa and Original Santal are two Creed fragrances that I really like and have still not managed to get hold of a bottle. I do have 10ml decants of each. The Creed UK site has shown the new bottle design for quite a while now, so I'm not certain when this was changed. There are also many online shops showing the new bottle design, which they have simply copied from Creed's website, but when you quiz them about the bottle you would actualy receive, they are still selling the older one. This false advertising really cheeses me off, as there is no way I would pay good money for old stock, so make certain you know what bottle you will receive before parting with your cash, as these are not the only bottles Creed have changed the design on.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Erolfa and Original Santal are two Creed fragrances that I really like and have still not managed to get hold of a bottle. I do have 10ml decants of each. The Creed UK site has shown the new bottle design for quite a while now, so I'm not certain when this was changed. There are also many online shops showing the new bottle design, which they have simply copied from Creed's website, but when you quiz them about the bottle you would actualy receive, they are still selling the older one. This false advertising really cheeses me off, as there is no way I would pay good money for old stock, so make certain you know what bottle you will receive before parting with your cash, as these are not the only bottles Creed have changed the design on.
    Tell you what....some people think the older 'Erolfa' is far superior to the 'newer' Erolfa.
    One ex member even offered me ml per ml of 'vintage' Erolfa for my 'Patou pour homme'....

I own a (old) bottle of Erolfa with the old design. I like the top and middle, but after some hours on my skin it turns out to smell quite sour and "sharp". Maby It`s to old and gone bad? I have read that the "new" Erolfa is much fresher, without the sour dry-down. Is that right?
    - Eny opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Tell you what....some people think the older 'Erolfa' is far superior to the 'newer' Erolfa.
    One ex member even offered me ml per ml of 'vintage' Erolfa for my 'Patou pour homme'....
    oh come off it, you know you took that swap?

The newer bottle is very fresh, maybe less "sharp", and also less distinctive. It's still very good, but not great, and it never has been a "great" scent, IMHO. It's a fresh, different type of smell that is simply a change-up in my collection, certainly not one of my mainstays. Definitely just a nice extra in my collection, but it has risen above Himalaya and Original Vetiver in my eyes.
    My current full-bottle Creeds, in order of my preference:
    1. GIT
    2. SMW
    3. Original Santal
    4. Aventus
    5. Acier Aluminum
    6. Millesime Imperial
    7. Erolfa

It's a typical Creed offering. Smells glorious for a while then vanishes.

From bottle to bottle? Isn't that just Creed?

"Aw crap! Just stick some stuff in a VAT which smells a bit like the last lot we did, pretend it was worn by some obscure royalty in a European state nobody's heard of and then, when nobody's noticed, raise the bottle price by $20. Then, in six months time, we'll produce a slightly (but only slightly, sh*t some of those chemicals are expensive!) stronger version, call it "Vintage" because we'll make up an olde worlde date for it and charge $150 more for a half size bottle of that version."
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

All in all, Erolfa, Bvlgari Aqva and Kenzo pour homme are the best marine scents I've ever smelt.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I quizzed the Creed rep on what "Erolfa" stood for. Well, she had no idea. I felt like a know it all schoolin' her. She looked annoyed
    It is at this point that you can walk away from that SA.
    - Expect the unexpected

Erolfa's opening exhibits a sharp herbal citrus - bright, brilliant and colorful. I recall the green aspect of it, as well as the aquatic/marine accords achieved by the use of ambergris. I've not tried recent batches but I actually do find many ladies enjoy wearing Erolfa.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I felt EROLFA was a bit too one-note. Lots of salt, lots of sand and ozonic stuff, all well-rendered, but nothing very compelling, and honestly, for the money, I'd skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I had the same experience when I ordered Erolfa from Raffy last year. I got the old bottle. I`m 100% sure that Erolfa has been reformulated when they changed the bottle design. The old formulation was much dirtier, and turned out to smell quite sour in the dry-down at the end of the day. Sometime I thought my bottle was gone bad. Couple of days ago, I bought Erolfa again, now with the new bottle-design. The new bottle/formulation, is much more sparkling and fresh, and lack the sour dirty dry down at the end of the day. It stays much fresher for a longer time.
    I much prefer the new version, even though it lacks the great longevity of the old version..

Someone know when Erolfa shower-gel was discontinued? You can still get it from strawberrynet.com.

Own it, love it. Very good for beach and resort wear. Good in warm weather, or whenever you want to remind yourself of a pleasant day at the beach. Bleu de Chanel reminds me of Erolfa, in that both seem kind of simple and fresh at first, but subtleties emerge with repeated wearings. Both are good from beginning to end, which is something I rarely think about fragrances in the fresh category. Lesser fresh fragrances often develop obnoxious synthetic-smelling notes, akin to insecticide, about halfway through. Erolfa and Bleu de Chanel skate right by that phase, and stay beautiful to the end. I get good longevity from both.

Erolfa is great. To me, it's a mashup of MI, VIW, and maybe some Royal Water. It's a summer frag though, will dissappear off your skin in the winter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    It is at this point that you can walk away from that SA.
    It amazes me that these people can sell a product with such incomplete knowledge of it. Not that the details behind the name of EROLFA are all that important to the actual scent itself, or would really sway a buyer either way. But it would be nice if they at least had some true trivia to throw out there while you're contemplating a scent. If you're a Creed SA and you don't know what EROLFA stands for, and someone asks you that question, you run the risk of looking incompetent.