Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question What is a fragrance you thought you'd love but ended up hating?

Or one's you loved but have grown tired of.

Big Pony "oriental" was the last one to do this. I checked out the notes, it seemed legit....finally sample it, and it's a glorified aquatic with a darker edge. Embarrassing that chocolate is even listed as a note, or that its considered an oriental.

Le Male is slowly becoming obsolete in my tastes. Something about it just doesn't sit well with me anymore. I LOVED it when i first got it and for months after, but for whatever reason it's just done nothing for me

Default Re: What is a fragrance you thought you'd love but ended up hating?

I thought I'd love Aramis Havana. I can't say I hate it, but after procuring a larger sample size than necessary because it sounded so perfect, I felt buyer's remorse. It was a let down.

Bois d' Portugal. It had great reviews, great ingredients, etc. -- really had my hopes up, but as it turned out, it is not something I'd ever feel comfortable wearing, other than at a bingo game at a hospice.

Bandit. Same story with the addition that I thought it was for men. Plus, I bought the entire bottle blind.

Amouage Reflection. The sales associate, who was very knowledgeable, kind and generous raved about it. What a horrid nightmare.

I only have real animosity toward the last. The rest, well, I didn't hate the fragrances as much as I hated being disappointed at the gap between my expectations and my reality.

i thought i would love 1 million, i hated that one, so overrated.

A*Men... with all the raves here about it. The notes sound like I should love it. I don't 'hate' it...but it hates me.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

While hating might be a little strong, four that really disappointed me were

Guerlain Spirituse Double Vanilla - found nothing special about it for it's shocking price
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur - just found it vile
    Caron L'Anarchiste - really wanted to like it, just something off-putting and gave me the sneezes
    Bond No. 9 Wall Street - my first Bond exposure, was the one which had me search out a Saks in the first place, Not only not what I was expecting, but not even an enjoyable surprise

Scent of Peace by Bond 9.

I just can't stand it.

It would be an exaggeration to say I hate Rive Gauche pour Homme. But, I thought I would love it and definitely do not. I had really high hopes because I've admired the scent of the ladies' version on certain women, but the pour Homme just doesn't work for me.

Guerlain Vetiver.

Another vote for Bandit! I thought I would love it but it was something opposite to a love at the first sight(sniff).I didn't like the drydown either.I was lucky that I bought a 2ml sample only.

Drakkar Noir, at first, I was impressed about its unrestrained manliness, but exactly this very feature seems to gather all the bad press whenever I wear it

Versace's Dreamer.

I didn't like the opening, but the drydown made me purchase it the next day.
    2 months after it was listed for sale on ebay.

iqi8h8j74qfeelocowmanqqro

YSL Jazz...

Cologne Noire from Van Cleef & Arpels. On first sniff, I loved it. Enough to the point I bought it on the spot.

To date, it's the only purchase I took back, once sprayed. I'm amazed they let me, actually.

Paloma Picasso - Minotaure (hard to find / discontinued), the reviews made it sound like it was a hidden gem but it's basically an orange aldehyde top that dries down to a stale musky base.
    This one learned me to trust my own nose and not to believe those hypes created here on Basenotes around discontinued fragrances.
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Tom Fords Oud Wood - I liked it when I first purchased it then I read somewhere that it had a medicinal rubber scent to it. After reading that it spoiled the fragrance as that was what I was smelling every time I wore it.

Guerlain Vetiver - This scent is so hyped I thought I would buy this blind. I tried to like this and forced myself to give it good few wearings. I had to give it away as I could not stand the plastic synthetic ploughdough fragrance I was picking up from it.

It's Rochas Man in my case. It's all overly sweetness just kinda gets to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Paloma Picasso - Minotaure (hard to find / discontinued), the reviews made it sound like it was a hidden gem but it's basically an orange aldehyde top that dries down to a stale musky base.
    This one learned me to trust my own nose and not to believe those hypes created here on Basenotes around discontinued fragrances.
    What perfume does Penny wear, brotha?

Rochas Man

Dolce and Gabanna ph

Bulgari Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    What perfume does Penny wear, brotha?
    My Penny would wear Lanvin Eclat d'Arpège
    Acqua di Giò is my guilty pleasure. What's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver.
    I'm with you on this. I tried it over and over thinking I'd get it or the green juice would be perfect for summer and I just always hated it compared to other vetiver's, etc

I'd have to say Knize 10 too. I heard so much and it ended up being a a headached inducing perfumey leather.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dependent

Here is a list of fragrances that were once loves (not just fancy, but really into), and now almost detestable:

(By listing them, I mean no disrespect, I just got "sick" of them, mostly from overuse.)

Guerlain Vetiver
    L'Eau D'Issey PH
    Bvlgari Extreme Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir
    Paco Rabanne XS
    Clinique Happy for Men
    Guerlain Samsara
    YSL M7
    Dior Fahrenheit

I think there are many more that I'm not registering at the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    i thought i would love 1 million, i hated that one, so overrated.

1 Million serves one purpose in my wardrobe.... To wear in the club or lounge. I have not once wore it with out getting a straight up compliment from atleast one woman. Now on to the topic at hand....

- Le Male has not been used since a month after I got it. Not all it was hyped up to be at all.
    - Tobacco Vanille... was expeting to love this but was just turned completely off by the strong tobacco.
    - Ice*Men.... just plain boring and bad IMO
    - A*Men Sunessence... Shames the TM House
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    Versace's Dreamer.

I didn't like the opening, but the drydown made me purchase it the next day.
    2 months after it was listed for sale on ebay.

You just gave me an idea for a new thread topic. Top notes that you wont tolerate just to get to the dry down. Thank you!
    My Youtube Review Channel: www.youtube.com/cutlasssupremesl

Green Irish Tweed - Cool Water

Off-Scenter

I was prepared to love Nuit de Tubéreuse. Tuberose, Bertrand Duchaufour, alluring pyramid - what was there not to love? Alas, it was a terrible disappointment.

I will wear it again soon for review in the Directory, now that it's listed. Perhaps it will work better on renewed acquaintance...

Pretty much all Aquatics would fit into this description. I really like L'Eau D'Issey, so I thought I should like Allure Homme Sport, Versace Eau Fraiche, Happy for Men, Bulgari Aqua, Acqua di Gio etc. Nope, cannot stand any of them. Why people consider smelling like a North Sea Trawlerman as 'fresh' is beyond my comprehension.

Live Jazz would be another. Mint, Grapefruit and Rhubarb sounds great. What did I get? Coriander - somewhere between Salsa dip and Curry.

1 million
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw