Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Question on Sarrasins

    Can this be pulled off by a guy? And before you say "wear whatever you want", I'm sorry but I'm just not going to wear something that's overly feminine, I'm not stuck on labels by any means and do like sampling good womens perfumes, but I wouldn't wear them in public.
    Last edited by philmcphe; 26th August 2010 at 05:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,561

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Depends on whether you feel comfortable wearing a jasmine prominent scent. If you do, then you should be able to wear this one comfortably.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I do like jasmine, but how does it come across in the fragrance? Dark, or lighter and more "floral" so to speak?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    That's a tricky one given your "limits"... it's not overly feminine. I get indolic jasmine, which I love, then an apricot-osmanthus note until a leathery touch adds to the whole thing. It's not a loud fragrance on me, actually I consider it low to moderate sillage and longevity is shorter than usual for Serge Lutens. The purple color makes it impossible to spray on fabric, which is a pity, because this could help boost sillage a bit. It is a wonderful, beguiling scent and since you are already courting with the idea of trying this - sample it!

    EDIT: it's rather a darker scent to me and no loud floral.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    That's a tricky one given your "limits"... it's not overly feminine. I get indolic jasmine, which I love, then an apricot-osmanthus note until a leathery touch adds to the whole thing. It's not a loud fragrance on me, actually I consider it low to moderate sillage and longevity is shorter than usual for Serge Lutens. The purple color makes it impossible to spray on fabric, which is a pity, because this could help boost sillage a bit. It is a wonderful, beguiling scent and since you are already courting with the idea of trying this - sample it!

    EDIT: it's rather a darker scent to me and no loud floral.
    Ah thank you for that description, that actually sounds quite excellent. Probably something I would wear for a more sensual occasion, rather than just going out if you know what I mean.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I know what you mean and to my perception you're spot on.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Have you tried it? That's always the best way to decide if you think you can pull it off.

    Personally, it's a little too floral for my taste and I don't know if it's my sample, but there's a strange chemical note with it that turned me off straight away. Purple looks cool though :P

  8. #8

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I tried it twice only from a small decant. Gave it full wearing and thought it was TOO feminine. The jasmine is just too much in it.
    Mind you, I do wear a LOT of frags marketed towards women and I don't feel uncomfortable as long as they are not known.
    I bask in Uninhibited by Cher and love the fact that no-one knows it. But back to your subject, Sarrasins IS too feminine.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Of all the fragrances I own, I probably wear this one the most.

    Given your criteria, it's not headily floral or super-sweet, but it's not at all a "dry" jasmine, either. It goes on cool, warms up to something mildly fruity, and has a small civet note to add a bit of animal, but all in all, it's about jasmine. If you love jasmine there's a good chance of loving this, if not, it might leave you cold.

    A jasmine in a related style is Diptyque's Olene, which is brighter, cooler, non-fruity and more directly floral, and worth investigating if you're seeking this style of jasmine.

    I recently went on the hunt for a "dark" jasmine, and after twenty-odd fragrances I've sampled my winner was Neil Morris' Gandhara, an earthy, animalic, almost non-floral jasmine that explores the area between bloom and decay. It's not particularly sweet and not at all overtly floral, and I think most guys can wear it if they don't mind some dirty with their jasmine.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    A jasmine in a related style is Diptyque's Olene, which is brighter, cooler, non-fruity and more directly floral, and worth investigating if you're seeking this style of jasmine.
    Olene is awesome but too loud and is all about SAMBAC jasmine (they call the flower "mugra" in India).

  11. #11

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I too found Olene to be loud. I did not enjoy it.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I have fully worn Sarrasins today, for the first time in "society". I got a compliment from a woman, others people remarqued it but anybody say it's feminine. I had the odor of "China Ink" on me the sillage was moderate but the the longevity pretty nice (all day a little cloud of Sarrasins followed me).
    It's jasmin but not with the floral and sweetness. However, on certain skin the sensuality of Tuberose and fruity notes (plummy) could give more "feminine" tones, and also make it more "happy" and less leathery/dry.
    I felt more comfortable than i think whith it, and currently love this perfume more and more with the time and the tries.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    I really wanna try this! I'll have to get a sample
    ôLove is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.ö
    Karl, age 5

    Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

  14. #14

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    ...It's jasmin but not with the floral and sweetness. However, on certain skin the sensuality of Tuberose and fruity notes (plummy) could give more "feminine" tones, and also make it more "happy" and less leathery/dry.
    I felt more comfortable than i think whith it, and currently love this perfume more and more with the time and the tries.
    So, I count myself lucky that my skin brings the dark and leathery aspects to the foreground I too love Sarrasins.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I do like jasmine, but how does it come across in the fragrance? Dark, or lighter and more "floral" so to speak?
    It is very floral but not necessarily in a bad way.
    The jasmine here has an unique quality; is fresh , vivid ...I personally wouldn┤t wear it perhaps because I am not a lover of jasmine note, not because could seem feminine, besides, It seems to have in fact a slight sweet touch at the background.
    If you like jasmine you shouldn┤t miss this one, al least , give it a sniff.
    my current top five (always in transition)

    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

  16. #16

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Olene is awesome but too loud and is all about SAMBAC jasmine (they call the flower "mugra" in India).
    Loud... don't know, my bottle is not so loud (even when i'm not the one wearing it, i don't think it's too loud, i find Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger louder, par example)
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

    Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

    TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  17. #17
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    78,317

    Default Re: Question on Sarrasins

    Reminds me of Jasmine Full. It's pretty strong, but as others have said not in a bad way.

Similar Threads

  1. Sarrasins. Ooh, so excited!
    By Clemmie in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 4th November 2012, 02:47 AM
  2. Lutens Sarrasins Review
    By Dane in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 7th May 2009, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •