Code of Conduct

Default Egoiste vs Opium pour Homme - what do you think?

Visiting a semi-shady, run-down perfume shop at a local shopping mall, I was actually hoping to find some amazing, hard-to-find bargains. And yes, I scored. Yatagan - almost bought it, will probably go back and buy it this weekend. Egoiste - it was kind of pricey, and came un-boxed, which always kind of scares me. I ended up buying a small bottle of Opium pour Homme for about $30. But the big question from this story: when I was in the store I sniffed the Egoiste, and when I opened up my new bottle of Opium pour Homme EdT in the car I immediately sensed strong similarities to the Egoiste.

So, my question: is it just me, or do Egoiste and Opium pour Homme EdT have some striking similarities?

Default Re: Egoiste vs Opium pour Homme - what do you think?

I don't think they have striking similarities. Both are totally different scents compared to each other. Both are very good though.
    =)

Yep. They both have very similiar dense spicy boozy sweet vibe.
    Last edited by dreamer81; 27th July 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: changed mind after another testing
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

They do run along similar currents. However I thought Opium PH was an over the top sledge hammer. Egoiste, though also quite strong, is one of Chanel's best. Egoiste is one of the best frags period. So, in this comparison, I'd say there is no comparison. Egoiste wins by a landslide!

Opium edt is all about anise, vanilla, booze and a "root beer" vibe. Egoiste is more of a candied fruit and sandalwood experience. I do prefer Egoiste, but I like Opium, too.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 26th August 2010 at 06:51 AM.

They are both sweet (Egoiste especially in the dry down). Opium has (IMO) a overdose of blackcurrant. It`s a bit to much. Egoiste is divine! Egoiste wins. -Hands down..

I don't think they're very similar either.

No, save from some spicy, slightly peppery, slight warm-sweetly Oriental notes

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Opium edt is all about anise, vanilla, booze and a "root beer" vibe. Egoiste is more of a candied fruit and sandalwood experience. I do prefer Egoiste, but I like Opium, too.
    What he said.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

AromiErotici

Both are spicy and both good. I am a big fan of Opium Homme EDP yet I cannot like the EDT version. Both Egoiste and the concentree are good to go, but other than spiciness, their similarities end for me.

All very helpful comments. Thanks guys. A bottle of Egoiste is now on its way to me. Cheers!

I never had a full wearing of any of these two or compared them side by side; I once tested Egoiste about a year ago and Opium PH last week. And the Opium PH immediately reminded me of the Egoiste.
    Jan Pieter

fountain

they're not similar, i think. and i agree with AromiErotici opium edp is far superior to the messy edt.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Except of both being very "heavy" (Egoiste porbably more than Opium) fragrances I dont see any similiarity neither.
    Agree...anyway I found Egoiste better of those two - Opium (both EdT and EdP) smells like vanilla car air-freshener, nothing special about it in my opinion, itīs not bad just kind of...plain

they are not to be compared to me,, to me Opium is far Oriente voyage while Egoiste is a mid night walk in urban city.

Egoiste is the best - I liked how someone described it candies fruits and the best sandalwood.

Opium for men is just a let down - it could have been so much more and just drags the classic Opium name down.

I am a big fan of the orginal formualtions of Opium for women. Bought several bottles for the women in my life, including the divine vintage EDP. I was initially disgusted when I sample Opium pour Homme when it was first issued, but my tastes have changed substantially since. I now find it to be a kind of fruity oriental, with a tasty blackcurrent streak, and a fairly intriguing vanilla-ish drydown.

On a wild streak - oh my, so daring, I know - I applied two light sprays to my forearms before going sunning and swimming at a local swimming pool. Must have been just my mood, but really, I had a lot of fun with that scent, until repeated lengthy swims washed it off. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree is fun in this manner too. And both of the last surprisingly long - you can swim vigorously for five or ten minutes, get out, and wow, there's still a nice bit of sillage there.

But I digress. . .

Nice bottle of Egoiste on the way. I'll do a side-by-side roadtest and report back.

Thank you to all the basenoters who've chimed in on this!

yup... both are sweet /spicy orientals.. so i agree they do smell similar. the basenotes are where they differ imo. sandalwood lovers will go for egoiste. i think chanel uses the same sandalwood for both egoiste and bois de iles - which is very high quality imo. as for opium ph, it is more of a boozy vanilla - which is very intoxicating! LOVE both...

i am generally partial to perfumes with a boozy note, such as chaos, the black swan donna karan ny, gloria, ho hang club...etc.