Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Calvin Klein Eternity

Hey Guys:

Just did a youtube review of Eternity. I believe that this frag is still quite wearable today. As the name suggests, this really is a timeless cologne. Some seem to think that it was so common back in the day that it should be put to rest. My argument is that Curve basically came along and replaced Eternity as a clean green scent. I believe that many people under 35 have never really smelled Eternity, while Curve continues to dominate the market. So, does anyone agree that Eternity is maybe a more unique frag to wear than Curve? I see those Curve cans all over the place, while Eternity sits quietly in the background. I don't even own any Curve right now, but have Eternity and Eternity Summer in my collection. I even took a small decant travel spray of Summer with me on vacation. I really think this is quite relevent today as it was back in 1989.

Dependent

Default Re: Thoughts on Calvin Klein Eternity

I have not tried Curve, but I definitely agree with you that Eternity smells relevant today. It doesn't possess a certain quality that I associate to as "old-school/80's/retro". And considering all the current stuff out there, if this were released today, I'm sure it would have a rather huge cult success. It was one (the other being CK One) of my signature scents when I was a teenager in school, and one I paid entirely from saving pocket money. It definitely is very special to me, which is why I still have it in my collection despite not actually wearing it much nowadays. I think I will wear it soon, it always brings back good memories! It's probably one of the better aromatic fougeres (much in the vein of Cool Water, IMO) around, IMO.

If it matters, I'm well below 35.

I like Eternity.

I like Eternity and own the big 6.7 oz.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I assume this is about Eternity for Men (?)
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey Guys:

Just did a youtube review of Eternity. I believe that this frag is still quite wearable today. As the name suggests, this really is a timeless cologne. Some seem to think that it was so common back in the day that it should be put to rest. My argument is that Curve basically came along and replaced Eternity as a clean green scent. I believe that many people under 35 have never really smelled Eternity, while Curve continues to dominate the market. So, does anyone agree that Eternity is maybe a more unique frag to wear than Curve? I see those Curve cans all over the place, while Eternity sits quietly in the background. I don't even own any Curve right now, but have Eternity and Eternity Summer in my collection. I even took a small decant travel spray of Summer with me on vacation. I really think this is quite relevent today as it was back in 1989.
    I disagree with your statement on "...I believe that many people under 35 have never really smelled Eternity, while Curve continues to dominate the market". I think alot more guys under that age have indeed smelled it or sampled it. This is still a major seller for CK. Its still being advertised. The CK counter is always busy with guys ( late teens and twenties) with their GF's sampling the Kleins. Eternity Men also seems to come out with many Summer editions. With regards to Curve dominating. Its sells really well. But it is also sold at at least half the price as Eternity Men. At least where I live.

Whether Eternity Men is still wearable today is not even questionable. If it wasn't, then CK would not be releasing more summer editions of it. It is in the same genre of most of the top selling fragrances today. Clean and fresh. I'm not saying that is bad or a negative. That is just what I feel it is.

I want to sample this one again. And a summer edition of it as well.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

If only they'd stop with the lame flankers. The new Eternity Aqua is crap, the summer ones generally are ok, but not great. They're really standalone fragrances that have nothing to do with Eternity. Still a solid scent.

i love eternity, really want to get a bottle, however, when i smelled it at the store, i brought back memories of highschool and college and just how many times i have smelled it before. For that reason, no matter how much or how great the scent is, I simply cannot wear it b/c I don't want to be that guy that walks by somebody and that somebody goes "oh great smell but not the first time i've smelled that"......and then they relate the smell to the memory they have of the last time/person they smelled it, then you instantally become related to that person the person is thinking of that smelled you..... kinda complicated but i know....long story short I like to stick to stuff the majority if any have smelled before

Blog Entries

I wore it a lot back in HS and College too, and I keep a mini around for nostalgia purposes. I did vote for it a while back on the thread about "the most average fragrance ever".

I like it. I especially like the sport spray version I have; I think it's extremely rare now, since I can't find it anywhere online. I love love the bar soap. The deodorant isn't bad either. Never really liked any of the flankers other than that vintage sport spray.

And, I know this is heresy, but it reminds me of Green Irish Tweed.

I know, I could have my union card revoked for that remark.

Basenotes Institution

The other day I wore some Eternity After Shave Balm layered with Vetiver Extreme and it smelled fantastic.

I used to wear Eternity when I was in high school (mid-90's) and the reason I don't wear it so much now is more about my own personal tastes changing than feeling it's outdated. In fact, during my recent wardrobe thining, I told my brother he could pick one to keep as I was going to sell/trade the rest. He picked Eternity hands down and has really been enjoying wearing it.

Green, crisp, fresh, light, and versatile. Always been a great fragrance to me. Out of the CK house, nothing much is memorable or bottle worthy to me except for this, Obsession (preferably the older formulations) and Be. One is ok as well, and so are some of the Summer marketed flankers. But for me, Eternity is a staple in the CK house.

I owned both Eternity and Curve during the same time period. Eternity was, by far, a higher quality product. I purchased it as a solution to fragrances not lasting long on my skin. Eternity definitely lasted although I think it attracted flying insects.

Curve just smelled like wintergreen on me and the longevity was poor.

Basenotes Plus

One of the big sellers from CK and still prominently displayed on the counters. It still gives me headaches but I know many who swear by Eternity.

fountain

imo it's grotesque

I loved Eternity for men , of course it now smells nothing like it did when it was first released . Its another one of those that I would love to get an older bottle of

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I loved Eternity for men , of course it now smells nothing like it did when it was first released . Its another one of those that I would love to get an older bottle of
    True. Eternity and Obsession (and Calvin when it was re-released) were all reformulated. Luckily there are plenty of older bottles available on ebay.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Ditto.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i got original flacons of obsession and eternity...obsession reformulation is more noticeable while eternity stays faithful to the original formula

I know many think it's boring, but I actually really enjoy Eternity Aqua. I think it's a very solid summer woody aquatic that's often dismissed. To me it's similar to Polo Blue, but improved with more aquatic/ozone notes and less of Polo Blue's herbal/fougere focus. Anyway, I know this thread is about the original Eternity, and I do like it as well. But Eternity Aqua is my favorite from this line and one of my overall favorites from CK (along with Shock, Truth, & some of the CK One Summer editions).

Never really cared for Eternity.

cK Eternity opens the door of Fragrance appreciation for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey Guys:

That could be the reason why Curve is doing more successfully than Eternity.

That or the fact that Curve is at a very affordable at 1/3 the price, making it easy for stores that typically don't even sell cologne to include. Curve is marketed to a much different and more casual demographic.

I really enjoy Eternity by Calvin Klein, one of the few Klein fragrances that i enjoy. I'm not too sure about the flankers I've only tested out Eternity Summer and Aqua. Not a huge fan, but i find them to be quite nice.

Very classic and still suitable for wearers under 35.

Sound Scents

I didn't like it when it first came out and I still dislike it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

I still like to wear it on occasion to the gym. The deodorant is nice and can be worn with my pleasures sincer they both have a green quality
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I like Eternity but sold off my bottle because it never seems to get much use in my rotation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indaco View Post
    I like Eternity but sold off my bottle because it never seems to get much use in my rotation.
    Same here.

I personally am not a huge fan of Eternity (even though theres some notes in it that I like). To be fair though, I'm only 20 years old (and I think this one is intended for older people).

At the same time, Curve is much worse.

Basenotes Plus

I have written a fair amount recently on the Original bottles from Calvin Klein - Calvin (1981), Obsession for Men (1985) and I was nearly certain Eternity (1989) all were initially labeled by Calvin Klein as "Cologne" or "Cologne Spray". I had the first two, Calvin and Obsession for Men in their Original bottles, labeled "Cologne Spray" and "Cologne" respectively. Please note, these bottles had Eau de Toilette strength juice with very good quality ingredients - FAR superior to reformulations, as they all were re-branded Eau de Toilette. I remember in high school (as I graduated in 1991) how Eternity made me feel, as it was an absolutely wonderful and a truly amazing scent - fresh, masculine, invigorating and SO popular!

I looked everywhere for a while on Ebay and beyond and could not find a bottle of Eternity that did not have Eau de Toilette on it, although sellers claimed it was Vintage. I waited - patience is virtue. An absolutely perfect condition bottle (with fully-preserved juice in it) just arrived...Original Eternity for Men "Cologne Spray". It smells incredible! Now, I am content. I have the three Vintage bottlings by Calvin Klein with the original formulation.

I am very lucky...cheers,

ericrico

Eternity for Men, Vintage Cologne.jpg
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

You are correct the original cologne version was amazing the sillage trail could follow you for miles. The reminded me of jasmine masculine jasmine. Cherish that bottle ericrico and enjoy it!

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, scentimus!

I feel the memories of when I was 17-22 in the wonderful aroma (with a single spray on my arm, after having to pump several times to get the first spray out of the bottle - this was totally new, time-warped to me!)

Cheers!

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    You are correct the original cologne version was amazing the sillage trail could follow you for miles. The reminded me of jasmine masculine jasmine. Cherish that bottle ericrico and enjoy it!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Don't care for it. Makes Cool Water look like gold.

Basenotes Plus

Russel -

I own, now (again) both Original Vintage Eternity and Original Script Logo Cool Water. I have to say that, while they share notes, they each have a unique feel/vibe. I agree that current formulation of Eternity (and Cool Water) are both totally inferior.

If you smelled what is on my arm for the last 6 hours, I don't think you would feel that way. I only would wear the Vintage juice of these Calvin Klein bottlings...labeled "Cologne".

But, to each their own - cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Don't care for it. Makes Cool Water look like gold.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Curve overtook Eternity simply because it sold for half of the price and was more accessible in stores like Wal Mart and Target.

Eternity was one of my favorites when I first started collecting. I really liked the soapy opening, but when I purchased it and saw how green it got on my skin, I was surprised. I don't think it's a bad fragrance, but of everything I own, Eternity is probably the one I wear the least often.

Another one, like Cool Water, Curve and Allure Homme, that just never worked on me. But it did for thousands of others!

i had a vintage bottle of Eternity from the late 80's as a hand me down from my older brother...you cant ever forget the cap on that one...i remember spraying on drakkar noir and splashing on Eternity from the flacon at the same time before a dance in grade school....talk about PROJECTION

- - - Updated - - -

i also inherited his polo green and givenchy PI...his next purches were cool water and i think ADG
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Overcome By Fumes

I used to date a woman who wore Eternity exclusively, and it smelled good on her. I didn't find it masculine at all, but it had plenty of sillage.

Liked it enough to buy it. I just don't wear it very much

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Russel -

I own, now (again) both Original Vintage Eternity and Original Script Logo Cool Water. I have to say that, while they share notes, they each have a unique feel/vibe. I agree that current formulation of Eternity (and Cool Water) are both totally inferior.

If you smelled what is on my arm for the last 6 hours, I don't think you would feel that way. I only would wear the Vintage juice of these Calvin Klein bottlings...labeled "Cologne".

But, to each their own - cheers,

ericrico
    Only have tried the new(er) versions, I believe. If I'll come across a vintage Eternity (or CW, though I don't mind the new version) I'll make sure to give it a try.