Code of Conduct

Default School/College Fragrance but with a twist...

Hi. I'm 16 and and outgoing sort of guy but i would like a fragrance for school. I am totally new to all this fragrance stuff. Christmas '07 i got a set of the samples (all different) which i used only at weekends. Yet again this year i got more samples (only Ted Baker ones though for some reason). But i would like to get a full bottle or two in the sales.

It's a twist because my school is all boys and I want a fragrance thats not going to be attractive (i'm not gay, i don't want to attract anyone) but i just like smelling nice. Therefore i am looking for a cologne that could be used for school in this situation.

Also i'm looking for a fragrance for parties. Not raves or anything more like social get togethers but party wise. this can be a sexy fragrance or whatever you wanna call it because there will be girls at an occassion like this.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: School/College Fragrance but with a twist...

Welcome to Basenotes!

I go to an all-boys school too (I'm 17 atm), though we are co-ed in the sixth form. Anyway, here are some recommendations:

School
    Dior - Eau Sauvage
    I haven't tried this, but it is a really popular (and liked) fragrance here at BN. It's a citrus fragrance, and suppose to be quite masculine and elegant. Sorry, that's all I know about this one (will try it in the future)!

Paul Smith Story
    I have this, and it's also a citrus fragrance. It has notes of grapefruit and vetiver. I think it might be suitable for you as it's reasonably priced and IMO, isn't a "loud" fragrance. Noone would be attracted by it or offended by it. It smells great too.

Burberry London for Men
    A fragrance with boozy accords. Really nice and probably won't offend/attract others. It might be a bit heavy for summer/warm weather wear though.

Parties
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    I guess this is quite a "sexy" fragrance and probably quite unique compared to other fragrances. It has notes of anise and vanilla. Definitely worth trying and suitable for social gatherings (though use it sparingly!)

Rochas Man
    A gourmand fragrance with strong notes of chocolate and vanilla. I guess it's similar to LLaM in a way, but different. It's pretty long lasting and projects well, so girls may find it sexy and whatnot.

Hope that helps, though I'm not very knowledgable (yet)!
    Best wishes,
    Benny

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll get doing some research on them.

For school wear, I'd go with fresh, citrus based scents or eau de colognes. Some classics include the Dior Eau Sauvage, Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, Acqua di Parma Colonia or a more modern take might be the Thierry Muglier Cologne or Hermes Terre d'Hermes. Vetiver based fragrances also work well I think as daytime scents, and you could look at Guerlain Vetiver or the Vetivers from Givenchy or Etro - all depends if you like the smell of Vetiver!

As for evening/party scents, you will have to find out what you like! There's plenty to explore, from Dior Homme (also a good day scent) to YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme to Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme to Tom Ford for Men to Thierry Muglier's A*Men. Each one is quite different and if you start exploring them on this site they will lead you to countless others!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm thinking for the school scent maybe Prada Infusion d'Homme although perhaps not masculine enough.
    For the Night/weekend/party scent i like the sound of Rochas Man however there is nowhere to try it out. Also perhaps Dior Homme which i think is great however my best mate wears that so i can't really wear it also. After checking the suggestions so far, i came across Versace Man online which sounds interesting so i will deffo check that out instore,

I like Prada Infusion d'Homme so if you like it , go for it! Will make you smell clean and soapy! If you are attracted to Rochas Man, do give Muglier A*Men a try - another, but wilder, take on gourmand!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

chanel alllure
    drakkar noir
    dolce and gabbana pour homme
    chanel platinum egoiste
    ck one

Just thought i'd give an update.

I went and tried various different fragrances and found Paco Rabanne 1 million to be amazing. That is therefore my party scent. And it definitely works as an attractive scent for the ladies. At the New Years party last night i had many compliments. Still undecided on the School scent however, may even leave that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by SWmissionistic View Post
    It's a twist because my school is all boys and I want a fragrance thats not going to be attractive (i'm not gay, i don't want to attract anyone) but i just like smelling nice. Therefore i am looking for a cologne that could be used for school in this situation.
    Mugler Cologne is what you're looking for. Full stop.
    Last edited by Royal; 2nd January 2009 at 01:21 AM.

School:

Prada Homme
    Mugler Cologne

Parties:

Escada Magnetism
    Black Xs - Paco Rabanne
    Sales thread here

How about some Blenheim Bouquet or Gendarme for school, and Endymion or Gucci PH 2 for play?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I to go to an all guy school. I wear A*men maybe lemale to the parties and at school chrome or allure sport