Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance tips for fall/winter

I am just getting started in this magical world of perfumes and I would love some suggestions for fall/winter to help me in my search.

Traditionally I've preferred my perfumes fresh, light and aquatic. I used to wear Cool water, and for the last couple of years I've worn Bulgari Aqua, which I absolutely love. But I've had difficulties finding warmer and heavier fragrances that feel right. As you may have guessed I'm not a man's man - I am quite tall but thin and soft-spoken. So most of the winter-y fragrances just feel "too much" to me; like I'm wearing a suit that's too big.

So, any suggestions on where to start? I'm mainly looking for an everyday fragrance (=office use), but any ideas for evening/party/dating use would also be great. Thanks!

Default Re: Fragrance tips for fall/winter

Try Burberry London and the Burberry in the brown plaid cloth. Also consider John Varvatos and Varvatos Vintage. Lastly, try Calvin Klein Euphoria
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Burberry London is a really really good fragrance for this time of year! For the price it is excellent value too, I would pay niche like prices for this one! I would also recommend Ulrich Lang Anvers 2, warm and woody scent.

I will be buying Musc Ravageur this year as an autumn/winter scent, if your ever get into more niche perfumes give this one a try (definitely try before buy).

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes firemountains. You're tastes sound a lot like mine. I love my fresh, clean, aquatic fragrances too. Bvlgari Aqva is a favorite of mine, and I think it works well year round. Another one I think is good year round is 212 Men (a spicy green aromatic type fragrance).

I've recently discovered Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, which is a great lemon based frag. It has served me well this summer, but I think it wears heavy enough to be a good year round fragrance too. If not, Allure Sport should definitely be.

Some others to try (not necessarily aquatics, but still suit my tastes): YSL L'Homme, La Nuit de L'Homme (could be a good evening/dating/party frag), Paco XS, Viktor & Rolfe Antidote (I like this one applied lightly), Terre d'Hermes, and D&G Light Blue Pour Homme (I actually prefer it in the fall over warmer weather).

Finally, the new Bleu de Chanel is being labeled as an aquatic of sorts. However, I think there is a reason it is being released now. It would make a great night time or cooler weather "aquatic". It's been called generic and boring around here, but I actually really like it.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 27th August 2010 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks for the tips! Just came back from the nearest department store, their collection was limited so I only tried a few of your tips but I have to say you guys are good at this - none of the ones I tried felt completely wrong.

Burberry London was discontinued, unfortunately. I tried the other Burberries for fun, they were OK but just didn't feel right.

I tried cK Euphoria which was quite nice, the top note felt a bit too sweet on paper for me but I think I will give it a proper try to see what the drydown is like on me.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche was a great tip, I'm wearing it now. I was a bit wary when you said lemon (I tried another lemon-based perfume a few years back that felt like dishwashing liquid) but it didn't feel overpowering at all. It is very fresh and light at first but the "oriental part" brings some weight and manliness to it which I really liked.

Allure Sport was a bit too sporty I think, but that's only what the paper strip told me.

Will try to find a proper perfume shop to see if I can find your other tips. Thanks again!

D&G The One is another one you might like. It's spicy and yet very sweet. It is definitely a masculine but has enough feminine characteristics added for balance that I think it'd fit your character well.

If you can find it, you should sniff Azzaro Now for Men, too. It combines freshness and spice in a magical way. It is a very cool, smooth, rose and cardamom scent that just dances on one's skin. The texture of the scent is absolutely marvelous. It smells like a glass of chai tea that you're sipping as you catch a whiff of woods carried on chilly winter air as someone open's a nearby door.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Definitely try the new Marc Jacobs Bang.

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

One final update, just in case someone will actually want to read it:
    Went back at the end of the working day to try a couple more. After a couple of hours with Allure Homme Edition Blanche I wasn't so sure anymore. I really did LOVE the top and middle notes, but it just seemed like it got heavier and heavier the more time went by until it felt _too_ manly for me. There was something familiar that I liked about the base note though, I think it reminds me of a friend or a colleague I like - I just don't know if I'll carry it well.

I've also tried Allure Sport on me now. The top note is very sporty but also very nice. When the middle note started to show I more or less wrote it off, it smelled a bit like I was trying to be a teenager again. But when the base note hit I did a 180 and now I think I want it. It reminds me a bit of the Bulgari Aqua I love so much but I think it's heavy enough for colder days.

YSL L'Homme was extremely fresh and dare I say a bit "floral" (it almost felt unisex to me), it doesn't feel like my new fall/winter friend but I will try it properly come spring.

YSL La Nuit de l'Homme... I don't know, it felt well-composed, but maybe I'm just not used to fragrances like that because it felt too nightclubish.

D&G Light Blue was awesome, but too aquatic and fresh - it doesn't feel appropriate to abandon Bulgari Aqua for this in October or so. But I might just buy it as a 2nd summer perfume next year!

I really wanted to try D&G The One, the woman in the shop also thought it would suit me, but the tester bottle had gone missing and she wouldn't get me a new one

If anyone on here is actually from Stockholm, Sweden, or have shopped there, I would love some tips on shops with a bit more to choose from, I want to check out your other suggestions too.
    Last edited by firemountains; 27th August 2010 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firemountains View Post

If anyone on here is actually from Stockholm, Sweden, or have shopped there, I would love some tips on shops with a bit more to choose from, I want to check out your other suggestions too.
    I haven't shopped in Sweden, but here's a link to threads written by those who have: http://www.basenotes.net/forums/58-Sweden

Grey Flannel.