Code of Conduct

Default Is Silver Mountain Water too light?

I'm seriously considering buying SMW, I loved the scent when I sampled it a few months ago. I only sampled it once and did not gauge its longevity or silliage..

What are your opinions on SMW with regards to how light it is?

Default Re: Is Silver Mountain Water too light?

It's not light on my skin.

It's my favorite of the Creeds I've tried but it doesn't last long on my skin, maybe 2-3 hours max. It wears off too fast for a fragrance that expensive.
    Jeff Nailen
    Holistic Fitness Trainer
    www.SantaFeWay.com
    Weigh different.

My experience is pretty much the opposite. I don't get loads of sillage from it, but it lasts a long time on me, and seemingly forever on clothes. Seems to be typical of Creed, though...they vary a good deal from one batch to another, and depending on age.

Ah, the famous Creed Inconsistency / Failing Quality Control argument of having batches of different qualities.

Anyway, my nose becomes numb for Silver Mountain Water after 4 hours. Will not smell much then. But for sure I pick up SMW on my clothes the next morning, so the longevity is superb.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

When I had this it was very light on my skin.....I might have to give this another try one of these days!!!
    Gary

I used to like it, but now i consider it more of a nice room scent, i used some to spray in my car to keep it fresh, i like how it smells but not on me, rather how a hotel, house or car should smell like.

every bottle of SMW I've crossed has insane longevity and sillage for a fragrance with such a "crisp and light" flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    every bottle of SMW I've crossed has insane longevity and sillage for a fragrance with such a "crisp and light" flavor.
    Indeed! Definitely more than what you'd expect from a fragrance of this type
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

DeepSilence

Edit: Yes !!
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 27th December 2010 at 04:58 PM.

I was in a locker room not too long ago when I became aware of someone's sillage which I was quite sure was SMW. If anything, I wouldn't say it was 'light'. I would add that I thought the scent, from a distance, was rather nice.

I've always found it to be too light on my skin in comparison to other commonly known as even lighter scents than SMW.
    It's too bad because it's a nice, comfortable and refreshing scent.

To me the most important part was the black current note at the top, which I love and for which I got the SMW but it dissipated very, very quickly. I didn't smell it on myself after a very short time except for the trademark Creed ambergris/musk base which I don't really enjoy.
    I gave 1/4 of the juice in bottle and box to a friend. I suspect olfactory fatigue could also be an issue. Of all the Creeds I sampled extensively (numerous titles) this was my only fbw choice but I finally gave up on it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Except there are batch-related issues, SMW is long lasting (8+ hours on my skin) and "light" would not be how i would describe its sillage.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The bottle I have at home is dense and strong smelling. Tried on some from a fresh new bottle and I swear it was half the strength.

Definitely not light on me. Very strong sillage and lasts a long time. Not so with some other Creeds, but SMW is great.

I love the scent. But I get about 4 hours max on my skin.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Dependent

My favorite Creed. Definitely not "light" in terms of longevity and sillage. I wore it to church on Sunday, and got some on my clothes when I sprayed on my skin. I had my shirt washed that very day, and I could still smell the SMW linger from a distance from where my shirt was hanging to dry. Go for it. :Thumbup:

I find the black current note a bit to much in this one though the scent is very good I much prefer Green Valley where the black current note is more lighter.

As with many Creeds, and a lot of frags in general, I see the answers range a lot. I think you should try to get a small sample (5ml or so) and wear it 3-4 times.

On me, I find it like a lot of lighter Creeds- prominent for about 2 hours, then fades to my nose. But this one does last a fair amount of time on me. Becomes a very close to skin scent is my perception.

But I don't doubt the many comments from people here who say it lasts on them for a long time.

Rather heavy for me and my skin decimates nearly every fragrance. My application technique, however, is unorthodox; I slowly squeeze the nozzle to express about a drop. This is more than enough to get noticed, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Anyway, my nose becomes numb for Silver Mountain Water after 4 hours. Will not smell much then. But for sure I pick up SMW on my clothes the next morning, so the longevity is superb.
    Same for me. The opening is very sharp, and quickly causes olfactory fatigue. Spraying on fabric helps as well.
    Looking for: Creed caps

Both sillage and longevity were very bad on my skin, thus making me don't like it much. Actually not much creed's have good longevity on me. Maybe bdp and original santal.
    god bless oakmoss

imho very light no more than 3 hours on my skin definitely so much expensive for what it offers

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post
    imho very light no more than 3 hours on my skin definitely so much expensive for what it offers
    I strongly agree
    god bless oakmoss

Actually I wore SMW yesterday. We came out camping last night and was outside until midnight sitting around the fire. This morning when I picked up my shirt to throw it in the dirty clothes pile, SMW was still crazy strong. That's some crazy longevity especially when it still overpowered the campfire smoke that usually dominates my clothes.

As you know fragrances tend to stay on clothes much longer than the skin.
    god bless oakmoss

Yes, I realize that. Luckily I also get a full day from it on my skin.

Banned

this is another batch thing. many recent Creed vintages just are not as strong or long-lasting as older ones.

i had a bottle from '98 that was strong as hell. 1 spray lasted all day.

last month got a new bottle ('09 vintage) and i have to apply 3-4 sprays to get any kind of longevity and sillage out of it.

I absolutely love the smell of SMW. The blackcurrant, tea and inky note are awesome. I haven't smelled anything like it and I'd buy a bottle right now BUT...(there's always a but)...longevity and sillage sucks. Today I got less than 2 hours and then it's so close to the skin that it's barely a fragrance. I bought MI recently which has a better dry down and seemed to last 5 hours on my first wear, so right now MI lasts longer than SMW. I can't believe the terrible longevity of SMW. I will admit it's winter here but even then I'd expect it to last at least 5 hours indoors.

I have three-quarters of the Creed sample vial left so i'll get a couple of wears out of that. Fingers crossed I get better results because I would really love to buy a big bottle of this.

Longevity is moderate. Another Creed that people seem to smell longer than I do. This takes the number 14 spot on my Creed list.
    - Expect the unexpected

Sur la Plage

Yes.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am in my third bottle (4.2 oz) of SMW and I have 3 more in my "little stash", so I do have experienced SMW for a long time and in different batches, and it lasts all day on me. So the only thing I can think for those that say that it doesn't last long is that they get olfatory fatigue and do not smell it any longer, but that does not mean the fragrance is not there anymore. So, to answer your question: No, is not light at all.
    Sillage is brutal too.

SMW is nice. Bond Andy Warhol Silver Factory takes the same scent and puts it on blast.

Not my current bottle. It's ambergris heavy, upfront then the dry-down is light but that transforms yet again into an ambergris heavy scent again.

The tester was like that at the store, but after having a smaller bottle before, I thought it was just an anomaly - mine was like the tester. After the initial notes, it does become the scent I love.

Quote Originally Posted by shadidahs View Post
    SMW is nice. Bond Andy Warhol Silver Factory takes the same scent and puts it on blast.
    You sure about that? Checking the notes on Silver Factory in the directory, it doesn't seem to bear much resemblance to SMW. I definitely don't get any incense, nor wood resins or cedar in SMW.

Its light as Mike Tyson is sane.

For me its thick and inky with a deep ambergris base. I get very good longevity with it and decent acceptable sillage. I never got how people called it light.

I can get all day longevity on this guy. It does cause olfactory fatigue pretty quick though.

Thats how it is on me. I'm afraid I kill people with it when I wear it.

Goes to show how important it is to let your own nose be the judge and maybe those who smell it on you. 50/50 opinions rarely serve more than a starting point of what to try. (not necessarily what to buy imo)

For me it doesn't work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I love the scent. But I get about 4 hours max on my skin.
    Exact same for me on both counts.

i like SMW a lot but the bottle i've bought has some serious longevity issues.
    Maybe it's just my bottle but for that price i don't know if i would gamble again...

Stefano