Code of Conduct

Default Mitsouko v. Aramis...thoughts?

I just picked up a sample of the reformulated Mitsouko EDP. Before going on, I will admit - I have never smelt vintage Mitsouko jus. So this is all new to me.

Before trying it I read reviews. Someone mentioned that it smelled like a stripped down version of Aramis, more polished and refined. When I sprayed, the memory of my father flooded my mind. He /always/ wore Aramis. '

I have never really been into chypres, but I am wondering for my next purchase should I get a bottle of either Aramis or Mitsouko? Which one is a better chypre?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

DeepSilence

Default Re: Mitsouko v. Aramis...thoughts?

I didn't try Mitsouko. But if you want to begin wearing Chypre, Aramis 900 is better than Aramis IMO. another choise would be Aramis Devin, totaly different Chypre. you will get something like Pine or eucalyptus smell. Another good Chypre is One Man Show. try to find original one.

I don't remember an oakmoss note in Aramis. I haven't worn it in a long time because it is too harsh and dry for me. For a light floral chypre, I suggest Perry Ellis (1985, I think), which is selling for good prices now. However, I prefer Pheromone for Men by Marylin Miglin, which is powerful and an interesting, dynamic blend. I don't like the peach in Mitsouko.

Blog Entries

Tastes vary and I admit some bias as Mitsouko is my signature scent, but IMO Mitsouko is one of the finest chypres out there and is in a class of it's own. Mitsouko EDP would be my recommendation.

Sur la Plage

You can't lose with either IMO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th August 2010 at 01:41 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Tastes vary and I admit some bias as Mitsouko is my signature scent, but IMO Mitsouko is one of the finest chypres out there and is in a class of it's own. Mitsouko EDP would be my recommendation.
    A strange attempt to have Mitsouko replaced by Aramis, isn't it? Mitsouko gives me a similar impresson of comfort, home and quiet celebration with a bit of suspense as it has done to the OP. In that it is a really great scent (more than a fragrance). Or does it resemble the smells on christmas eve 20 years back?

I feel Aramis and Mitsouko are quinticential chypres. Never worn Mitsouko but love it and have nostalgic connections with it. Aramis is a leather chypre and is really delicious, dry and wonderful.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't really find a strong similarity between the two. Aramis on my skin smells more leathery woodsy. Mitsouko is more floral-oakmossy. And I never get that 'peach' thing going on my skin either... I'd pick Mitsouko over Aramis anytime but the only nose you need to satisfy is your own.

If it must be one of these two - Aramis.

I would have to pick Mitsouko if for no other reason than I can detect a single spray of Aramis from 50 feet away. Aramis is just far too strong for me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If it must be one of these two - Aramis.
    OMG! A non-French fragrance??!!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I love both for different reasons.

Mitsouko's wonderfully strong oakmoss and peach balance each other out perfectly...combined with the green notes, the overall chypre effect is bright, alive...almost vibrational when I smell it.

Aramis, well the leather and that hushed-floral humming under the surface, gives the scent a darker, shinier, more polished texture to my nose. It also, perhaps because of my own olfactory associations with the scent, smells very retro, a bit like cigarette smoke and very masculine in an extremely sexy style.

mitsouko without any shadow of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    ........Aramis or Mitsouko? Which one is a better chypre?
    You must be joking.

Mitsouko (I prefer the edt).

Aramis is also good, though considerably less interesting, especially over time. But it's a lot more masculine, and I tend to wear it more than Mitsouko.
    Last edited by pluran; 28th August 2010 at 02:23 PM.