Code of Conduct

Default Need help from the fragrance heavyweights

I took a day trip to NYC yesterday on business, and while there I decided to do some site seeing before my return flight. I stopped off to Barney's, Berdorf Goodman and Bond No. 9 (Creed is everywhere in my hometown so I didn't feel the need to go there and my time was limited). Anyways, I sampled a hell of alot of fragrances but the only ones that really struck me as in a class of its own were the fragrances in the Amouage line. Specifically I really liked Jubilation XXV but was BLOWN away by Ubar. The problem for me is that Ubar, while unisex in the opening, its very much feminine in the heart, although it somewhat returns to unisex in the bottom. The SA at Berdorf Goodman mentioned that lots of men that come through the store ultimately buy Ubar to layer it with other fragrances. Also, i'd like to point out that the Berdorf Goodman in NYC is actually 2 separate stores, one for men and another for women across the street, so I'm thinking there may be some truth to what he saying about Ubar given that they were selling it in the men's store.

I'd buy a bottle if I knew what to layer it with to make it definitively unisex or masculine. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Need help from the fragrance heavyweights

If I were you, there are only 2 options:

- I don't buy it, it's to feminine. (I don't like layering, it's to tricky)

- Keep on testing it and learn to appreciate it on it's own.

I think you should start a topic called "Similar to Ubar, but more masculine?"
    The fragrance heavyweights would be glad to help you.

ok. Thanks!

Sur la Plage

I personally would not spend that much money on a fragrance that I felt needed to be layered with another to be "wearable". But you do as you see fit.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I wouldn't buy a perfume that I had to adjust and layer.

BTW: In my quest for learning, I ordered a few notable flowery perfumes, including Ubar. It's indeed too feminine for me. In the same order I got Gucci Accenti which I wouldn't have second thought about wearing and is in the same class of elegance. It's spicier and darker but still very harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenose View Post
    I wouldn't buy a perfume that I had to adjust and layer.

BTW: In my quest for learning, I ordered a few notable flowery perfumes, including Ubar. It's indeed too feminine for me. In the same order I got Gucci Accenti which I wouldn't have second thought about wearing and is in the same class of elegance. It's spicier and darker but still very harmonious.
    Was the Gucci Accenti you purchased marketed towards men or women?
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Another vote for no to buying a scent you feel you must layer. I'm also somewhat wondering if that "layering" comment was a line of crap from the SA to try and get you comfortable enough to make a purchase.

I know some of us in here certainly do some layering of scents, but I truly wonder how many men have purchased this pricey scent and told that SA they were going to use it to "layer."

And among those in here who layer, I would tend to doubt many people bought a scent that they didn't like as a "stand alone" for the express purpose of layering. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Was the Gucci Accenti you purchased marketed towards men or women?
    I have a sample, not a whole bottle. This perfume is marketed purely for women.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm also somewhat wondering if that "layering" comment was a line of crap from the SA to try and get you comfortable enough to make a purchase.
    Exactly my thoughts.

I would absolutely agree with those that said skip it if you have to layer it. Personally I feel at those prices, the fragrance should not only apply itself, but fetching you the newspaper and cooking you dinner as well.