Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Guerlain frags should I try?

I have yet to try any from Guerlain, but I think it's just my time. Vetiver looks like a must try for me. Are there any others that are considered epic? I don't care much for generic scents, or citrus, fresh, aquatics, etc. I think if i wanna try stuff from this house, I wanna try the most sophisticated ones. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which Guerlain frags should I try?

Derby if you can get it is a must. There are normally decants for sale.

I would also try Habit Rouge both in EDT and EDP- very much old school but rich and uplifting.

One more and slightly from leftfield- Mitsouko is such a masterpiece. It is so rich and multilayered. Hard for a man to pull off due to its creamy peachy punch but I do love its resinous quality.

Monsieur G is your man on this one!

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Heritage (EDT, EDP)
    Habit Rouge (EDC, EDT, EDP)
    Derby
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    L'Instant pour Homme/L'Instant pour Homme Eau Extreme
    Shalimar
    Mitsuoko
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Habit Rouge
    Mitsouko (eau de toilette)
    L'Instant Pour Homme
    Vetiver
    Jicky
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest Derby.....another that the SA suggested to me that I though was pretty interesting (but would never buy) was Cuir Buluga. Found it unique to say the least, and would not agree it was a feminine scent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't care much for generic scents, or citrus, fresh, aquatics, etc. I think if i wanna try stuff from this house, I wanna try the most sophisticated ones. Thanks
    +1 on Mitsouko. From all that I've sampled, it's my favorite.

Some agreement here!

Derby is a must! Sous Le Vent for men.

Habit Rouge in all its forms: EDT, EDP and the pure parfum. Citrus/leather with vanilla. The EDP and parfum have agarwood.

Mouchoir de Monsieur EDT, a wonderful vanilla/lavender, but with civet that you may not agree with. This is a classic.

Shalimar

Mitsouko

Jicky

Eau de Shalimar, since Eau Legere is discontinued. A lighter version of Shalimar.

Also, keep your eyes out for the October releases of the men's eau de parfum duo of Arsene Lupin: Le Dandy and Le Voyou. This may interest you.

Le Dandy Version (The Gentleman) will feature as a leather/oriental scent with delicate violets and leather notes. Top: Bergamote, bares rose, bois de rose. Middle: Violet, sage, olibanum, cardamom. Base: Leather, patchouli and mixed spices.

Le Voyou Version (The Rascal) will feature as a fresh aromatic woody scent with bergamote notes, patchouli, benzoin, woody notes and white musk. Top: Bergamote, armoise, coriandre, citron. Middle: Cardamom, Bulgarian rose, sage. Base: Benzoin, patchouli, mixed spices.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I think L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme EdT is must try for you. The EdP version is nice as well, but I think the EdT is the better overall scent. More versatile. To me, it is epic and sophisticated. Took me 2-3 wearings to get to know it. All the Guerlains do. They are more subtle in their design I think.

I happen to love the Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier edition, but my gut thinks you would not like it. Could be wrong. At any rate, a sample of Habit Rouge strikes me as being as necessary as a test of Kouros. It's not quite as polarizing, but it is not for everybody.

I don't love Guerlain Vetiver, but it's a fine scent and likely their best seller to men.

Many others here are listing some of the classic Guerlains. Some you may find too old school, but with your broad base of scent knowledge, many would well worth sampling or testing. A lot of classic stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Habit Rouge
    Vetiver
    Vol De Nuit
    Mitsouko
    Shalimar
    Heritage
    Apres L'ondee
    Vetiver Pour Elle
    Spritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the suggestions above are good.

Just remember The_Cologneist - all that matters is if you like it. You don't have to like it, just because it's from the house of Guerlain. Also, many Guerlain scents, especially the ones that were released more than 20-30 years ago might smell a bit 'retro' or 'dusty' to you...this is normal. Give your nose time to adjust to this, to figure out whether you like this or not. Most of the time, all it takes is patience (the base notes is where most of these fragrances shine), consistency (test, re-test, test a third time) and an open mind (feminine, masculine, edc, edt...try them all!).

One that has not been mentioned that I think you should try it Habit Rouge Sport. And, of course, the very modern Guerlain Homme Intense.

My tastes are different, I guess, as I'm not on board the Habit Rouge train, at least not yet. So my all-time favorites would be:
    Vetiver
    Heritage

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to suggest a way to "start" Guerlain, I'd recommend three:

Shalimar

Jicky

Mitsouko

All three are classics, broadly representing three classic genres ( oriental - chypre - semi-fougere ), all three available in multiple concentrations each with their own personality. I'd get nine samples, the EdT, EdP, and parfum of each one.

Sampling one concentration does not fully explore it - for example I love the parfums of all three, but vary considerably on the other concentrations.

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver and Habit Rouge, they're the foremost ones I think (partly because it's probably possible to find them at a counter in your city). They're very important steps in the history of men's scents, and well, great smells too. You've got to check them out and I look forward to your thoughts on them for sure. If you're hitting a shop or a counter to smell them, smelling the edt of HR is enough, you don't necessarily need to smell the edc (very nice) or the edp (very very nice) to make things complicated. When you get samples of those online, that's a blast, but be content just to smell the edt somewhere.

L'Instant PH gets proper priase here. Check it out too since you'll be able to find it at a counter. Heritage would be nice to check out, but it might be harder to find.

Derby is great stuff, but alas, it's very expensive and harder to find.

Jicky might be at a counter of women's things, and holy cow, you've got to check that one out. Weird at first use, it can repulse you and blow your mind.

I'd say the four to target during a visit to shops/counters are Vetiver, Habit Rouge edt (if they have the edc that's great), L'Instant PH, and Jicky. Start with those. After those the others make a little more sense.

Have a great time, Cologneist! I wish I didn't know Guerlain so I could experience the magic all over again.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing new to add I'm afraid but imho the older classics (Jicky, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Apres L'Ondee, Vol de Nuit) would be a good point to start from to form an opinion on the house signature style & then compare it to their 1960s-90s classics (Habit Rouge, Heritage, Vetiver, Eau de Guerlain, Samsara). Finally look at the more recent releases incl. L'instant de Guerlain, SDV, Pus Que Jamais, Guerlain Homme. Also take a look at the Aqua Allegoria line. (At this point some fans might weep at the perceived 'decline'... )

I just feel that if I were to explore Guerlain, I must be prepared to sample extensively to get a sense of its history.

Post Thanks / Like

Habit Rouge edc/edt/edp
    Vetiver
    Derby
    Mitsouko edt
    Sous le Vent
    Eau de Guerlain
    Shalimar edt
    Jicky edt
    Heritage edt/edp
    Eau du Coq

Post Thanks / Like

The posts of Petruccijc, Primrose and Pluran sum up basically all important frags worth testing ever to be released by this house

Derby
    Habit Rouge
    Heritage
    Vetiver
    Mouchoir De Monsieur

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks, Habit Rouge looks like something I may like as well, I'll have to more research on Derby and Mitsouko. Jicky is said to be very animlaic, is this true? I really don't like very dry or animalic scents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's my list. It's what I actually like, and in most cases bought.

Guerlain Homme - kind of love it or leave it, but you may love it. It's the "modern" face of Guerlain. Many people will roll their eyes at the modern stuff, but I sense that you, like me, will admit that a modern mainstream designer scent CAN be excellent, so try it.

Guerlain Homme EDP Intense - richer, more complex, wears closer than the regular one. More people here like it. In my top five. Something of a "green gourmand" - very interesting.

Derby - classic, awesome, a must to smell, but expensive and a bit formal IMO. I bought the bottle with no regrets. Smoky classical ornate vibe.

Bois d'Armenie - I almost bought it instead of Derby. An excellent rich gourmandy woody scent, but more modern.

Shalimar - I can't really wear this, because it is beautiful to me like women's jewelry. I don't so much want to wear it as smell it.

Eau de Shalimar - Bright and citrusy with the Shalimar ornate vanilla aura intact. Almost sporty - it's like Shalimar for guys.

L'Instant Pour Homme - One of the greatest gourmands for guys EVER.
    L'Instant Pour Homme EDP/Extreme - Same thing, only deeper, richer, moister, and less dry and penetrating.
    L'Instant (women's) - Just a bit lighter, fresher, and more floral than the men's, it is wearable by a guy and smells awesome.

Boisé Torride - Very sexy unisex woody gourmand. Mmmmmmmm.

Tonka Imperiale - Nice modern Guerlain - a great take on tonka.

Eau de Cologne Imperiale - Short-lived lime cologne that smells awesome for a few minutes and is gone. VERY refreshing.

Cologne du Parfumeur - similar in some ways, but more modern. This is awesome fresh - and stays good, never gets bad after the initial topnotes. I know you have mentioned liking the start of the recent Izod - these Guerlain colognes all have that same sort of WOW start.

L'Heure Bleu - pretty friggin' amazing - fragrance history that still smells great, but it's scents like this that turn people into vintage freaks, so BEWARE.

Quand Vient la Pluie - WOW - expensive but you have to smell this if you get to the Guerlain boutique. This is the frag that made Thierry Wasser their house perfumer.

Les Secrets de Sophie - I think this is awesome. A modern limited edition in the boutiques that smells ultra-classical. Pricey.

Take your time with Guerlain and come back as your nose changes over time. Their selection is broad and has accumulated over time, so every time you get into their store, you will find different faves.

PS - Jicky and Shalimar have animalic bits. IMO, the civet in Shalimar is perfect - restrained and dignified.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, The_Cologneist, Jicky has civet and because of this it not only smells animalic it smells a bit...skanky. The first time I smelled it I was shocked and instantly turned off. Now, I love it to death. IMO, you will either 'get' it or you won't. If I were you, I'd try the Eau de Toilette first.

Oh I forgot - you really should try Cologne du 68.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yeah, I forgot that, too. DEFINITELY - it's a very impressive cologne version of the L'Instant family. If you fall for L'Instant, you'll see what's so great about this one, too. More easily wearable by guys than the women's L'Instant, too.

Post Thanks / Like

One word: JICKY.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain is such a deep house. The variety, complexity and quality of the scents is astounding. It is a little old school but they are still very on top of their game for a reason - they are good. The one overriding aspect of most guerlain fragrances is the vanilla in the base or the Guerlainade note that most contain.

My favorites:

Mouchoir d' Monsieur - along with Muscs Kublai Khan from Serge Lutens is one of the finest soft musk scents around.
    Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier Edition
    Eau de Guerlain
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale -
    Derby
    Un Ame d' un Heros (Coriolan - old name)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That stuff sounds unbelievable! I didn't even wanna see the price, but when I did I was really surprised! I'm used to seeing $300 & $400 price tags all the time. A fragrance based around 68 notes can be had for $100! It'll take me awhile before that can sink in.. and not for a small bottle either!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

Derby
    Mouchoir de Monsieur

you have to if you are a man.
    god bless oakmoss

Ok so many good suggestions already, but if you don't really care for citrus fresh then i'd say limit to:

L'Instant PH extreme
    Héritage
    Habit Rouge (vintage if you can)
    Coriolan (spicy somewhat sweet)
    Tonka Imperiale

the rest that are marketed for men (MdM, ChamadePH, Derby, Vetiver and flankers) are just too fresh in a green chypre fourgère kind of way and you may not like that, but they are certainly worth a try.

cheers

L'Instant de Guerlain. You will not regret it. Its a master piece and one of the greatest ive ever smelled

Post Thanks / Like

Everything has been mentioned
    but if you ever come across some Dejda, send me some as well
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks folks, Habit Rouge looks like something I may like as well, I'll have to more research on Derby and Mitsouko. Jicky is said to be very animlaic, is this true? I really don't like very dry or animalic scents.
    Try Jicky in the EDT- because the EDP concentration is very animalic (to my nose).
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Derby may be the best men's fragrance I've ever smelled. I have a decant but at $250 plus, a full bottle is not in the cards yet.

I own Habit Rouge and it's a classic; very unique and has sillage and longevity galore. Be patient with it as it seems over the top at first.

"Luxury Perfumes" stores (that's the name of the chain) usually have several Guerlains as do Bloomingdales.

I finally broke down and ordered Mitsouko, but it hasn't arrived yet. I love smoky scents and Mitsouko has it in spades.

Vetiver is also very nice and is available at Sephora.

Cologne du 68
    Vetiver Pour Elle
    Boise Torride

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for some of the more in depth responses, Redneck makes me wanna try everything now! I am a huge tonka bean van, and haven't found many awesome tonka based frags.. Vetiver Tonka is my favorite to date. I saw Tonka Imperiale but only on here, never in stores, plus no comments on it, is this comparable to anything more mainstream?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for some of the more in depth responses, Redneck makes me wanna try everything now! I am a huge tonka bean van, and haven't found many awesome tonka based frags.. Vetiver Tonka is my favorite to date. I saw Tonka Imperiale but only on here, never in stores, plus no comments on it, is this comparable to anything more mainstream?
    You may like Tonka Imperiale - particularly if it's the tonka aspects of Vetiver Tonka that you love the most. If you took Vetiver Tonka and substituted a Guerlain-type gourmand (woody/sweet/cacao/vanilla/thick/guerlinade) for the vetiver, you would have Tonka Imperiale. It has the coumarinic tonka thing done nicely - as well as VT, and better than Escada Magnetism, Hermès Concentrée d'Orange Verte, or several others. I think it leans a bit more unisex than VT because of the loss of VT's vetiver. I've never encountered anything quite like it in mainstream, personally. Escada Magnetism would be the closest, and that's so fruity (cherry or grape Dr. Pepper) that they don't really compare. There was a lot of hope here for Tonka Imperiale, and I would say that it almost reached expectations. I have mulled over the possibility of a buy. Still working on my sample, but several other Guerlains are currently tied for next. Thankfully, there is no boutique anywhere close to my home, so I'm only in there occasionally!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You may like Tonka Imperiale - particularly if it's the tonka aspects of Vetiver Tonka that you love the most. If you took Vetiver Tonka and substituted a Guerlain-type gourmand (woody/sweet/cacao/vanilla/thick/guerlinade) for the vetiver, you would have Tonka Imperiale. It has the coumarinic tonka thing done nicely - as well as VT, and better than Escada Magnetism, Hermès Concentrée d'Orange Verte, or several others. I think it leans a bit more unisex than VT because of the loss of VT's vetiver. I've never encountered anything quite like it in mainstream, personally. Escada Magnetism would be the closest, and that's so fruity (cherry or grape Dr. Pepper) that they don't really compare. There was a lot of hope here for Tonka Imperiale, and I would say that it almost reached expectations. I have mulled over the possibility of a buy. Still working on my sample, but several other Guerlains are currently tied for next. Thankfully, there is no boutique anywhere close to my home, so I'm only in there occasionally!
    Really? Interesting.. I liked Magnetism's originality, it kind of reminded me of a more spicy Armani Code with a kick of soda/grape juice, overall though very synthetic smelling which in the heat accompanied with its major sillage would just give me killer headaches. In cooler months too sadly. Looks like this Guerlain Tonka Imperiale frag is quite hard to find, I'm gonna look for a decant soon.

A lot of Guerlains seem to be overrated. Spiriteuese Double Vanille is a must try though. Everything else is just okay...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    A lot of Guerlains seem to be overrated. Spiriteuese Double Vanille is a must try though. Everything else is just okay...
    I agree. But some older ones are masterpieces imo like derby or mdm. I didnt find habit rouge or heritage that elegant. Something were missing in them. But derby is a killer.
    god bless oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Heritage (EDT, EDP)
    Habit Rouge (EDC, EDT, EDP)
    Derby
    Mouchoir de Monsieur
    L'Instant pour Homme/L'Instant pour Homme Eau Extreme
    Shalimar
    Mitsuoko
    Vol de Nuit
    Jicky
    L'Heure Bleue
    Took the list right out of my head!

Just going to add:

Sous le Vent
    Bois d'Armenie
    Metallica

Which Guerlain frags should I try?
    all...

Post Thanks / Like

Vetiver Pour Elle
    L'Instant De Guerlain EDP
    Habit Rouge Sport
    Bois d'Armanie
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

I love Sous le Vent so much I recently bought a back up bottle 'just in case', and at $300 a bottle I didn't care, I just knew I HAVE to have a back up of it