Code of Conduct

Default One Malle to pick???

I have one Malle to pick, which would you suggest?

Default Re: One Malle to pick???

Musc Ravageur

My favorites are Bois d'Orage, Vetiver Extraordinaire, and Musc Ravageur in that order

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    My favorites are Bois d'Orage, Vetiver Extraordinaire, and Musc Ravageur in that order
    Haven't seen your wardrobe - so don't know what you like, or what's missing.

But in a vacuum, I agree exactly with philmcphe

I quite like a few from their portfolio. I think it could well depend on what kind of notes are your favourite. I personally like Vetiver Extraordinaire, Bigarade Concentree, Musc Ravageur and last but not least, Carnal Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Musc Ravageur
    +1 MR is the one to get.

I tested them all, and only liked several enough to consider owning, in this order:
    1. Bois D'Orage
    2. Cologne Biggarade
    3. Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    4. Geranium Pour Monsieur

And after further testing, Bois D'Orage is the only one I'm still seeing worth ownership, as many of the other scents have a competitor which performs their role better.

Vetiver Extraordinaire and Carnal Flower are one of the best of their kind.

Rest are fine, if usurped by others in their various categories.
    -

Carnal Flower or Geranium.

Musc Ravageur is one of the most delicious fragrances on the marked.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I tested them all, and only liked several enough to consider owning, in this order:
    1. Bois D'Orage
    2. Cologne Biggarade

And after further testing, Bois D'Orage is the only one I'm still seeing worth ownership, as many of the other scents have a competitor which performs their role better.
    Would love to know which scents you find better, mostly so when I finally test those 3 Malles, I can also test their competitors.

I really like Bois d'Orage too, although the iso e super in it is a bit distracting. I'd love to find a similar scent that is so green, earthy, and dry, and yet modern, urban and sleek. Maybe the iso e is an integral part of that combination of disparate qualities. I don't know.

I've only tested Bois d'Orage and Un Lys Mediterranee, and I really liked them both. If you like the scent of lilies, Un Lys Med. is a must sniff. I think it's wearable by a confident man, too. The angelica and musk used both offset the feminine qualities and take it, barely, back into the realm of unisex.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Noir Epices hands down.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Noir Epices hands down.
    Without a doubt.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Without a doubt.
    That's a good one, but I think I'd still pick Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Thumbs up Re: One Malle to pick???

I can not reply to this....i do not know....i love all of them...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Do yourself a favour and try them before you buy one.

Bois d’Orage (French Lover) is fantastic to me and perfectly balanced between woody, earthy, floral with a hint of sweetness.
    Vetiver Extraordinaire is a really really nice vetiver if you’re looking for a vetiver scent.
    Noir Epices is as the name indicates very spicy. Too much nutmeg for me. But maybe i’m sensitive or i haven’t tried it enough yet.
    Geranium pM has a strong mint note which i can’t stand but others might like.
    Angeliques sous la pluie is too watered down for me.

You can get samples at reasonable prices from Les Senteurs.

With absolutely no info to go on I would recommend Noir Epices just because it is so original and compelling, or Vetiver Extraordinaire if you want something excellent but less exotic. Or French Lover, just because . . .

My top five:

French Lover / L'Eau d'Hiver / Noir Epices / Geranium Pour Monsieur / Bigarrade Concentree

The "I don't know you or your tastes" vote goes to Musc Ravaguer, as I find it one of the easiest to get along with in the line.

Really, it all depends on your tastes. If you love vetiver, Vetiver Extraordinaire is great; if you love florals, Carnal Flower is great; if you love gourmands, Musc Ravaguer is great. It's a high quality line, with very few ones I consider bad and many I consider wonderful.

Musc Ravageur

This is my favorite House....I love em all.....
    Im the be$t @ thi$

I'd say Carnal Flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    1. Bois D'Orage
    2. Cologne Biggarade

Hey Dullah, I generally agree with your list, but would love to know which fragrance competes with Angeliques Sous La Pluie, but performs the role much better. I love Angeliques Sous La Pluie, but am frustrated by it's dismal longevity. If there's something similar out there, I'd love to know about it.

For women, Une Rose, Carnal Flower, Iris Poudre and Une Fleur de Cassie are all of unsurpassed excellence. I've tried wearing Carnal Flower, but feel totally ridiculous. Having said that, I absolutely adore it on my wife.

One that hasn't been mentioned and that works very well with my skin chemistry is Dans Tes Bras. It is a bit of an odd one for sure, and it certainly won't garner many votes as a the "one Malle to pick," but I find it to be a wonderful early fall fragrance that is non-traditionally masculine.

For me it's Musc Ravengeur, French Lover and Geranium Pour Monsieur in that order.

It is of course impossible to pick out a given fragrance for you, nor should you go with the fragrance that is most often mentioned on a forum! However, I can tell you how I made my choice, if that is of interest to you.

Since I'm lucky enough to live in Paris, I went 2-3 times to a Frédéric Malle boutique before choosing. My search was for something really original but not difficult to wear. Something that I wouldn't find elsewhere and that I could call "my" Frédéric Malle. I work in a formal setting, but also have a varied social life, so I didn't want something that would have to be confined to one or the other of these contexts.

The three fragrances that were presented to me as more obviously masculine were Géranium pour Monsieur, Vétiver Extraordinaire and French Lover. I also tried Bigarade Concentrée, Angéliques sous la Pluie, Musc Ravageur and others. For those mentioned, I was given samples which allowed me to do two full wearings of each in different climatic conditions and in different social contexts (work and social).

In the end, I went for Géranium pour Monsieur. This choice surprised me a bit. Indeed, I'm very much a vetiver lover, and Vétiver Extraordinaire is to me a quintessential vetiver: pure, grassy, beautiful. Although I'm not ruling out a further purchase from that house, I do not regret having chosen Géranium pour Monsieur. To me, it is a thoroughly modern fragrance: fresh and "barber-house" to start with, but with a gradual and perceptible evolution towards a very rich geranium leaf accord. The mint top note does not in the least strike me as "toothpaste-like"; on the contrary, it is the purest mint I know in a perfume (not a tea-leaf smell) and it marries wonderfully well with the geranium note as it develops. In terms of longevity, this fragrance is absolutely perfect: I can still smell it, on my clothes at least, 12 hours later.

I hope this insight into another basenoter's thought processes will help you make your own choice. However, to repeat my initial comment, avoid peer-pressure and don't go into this choice with any preconceptions. The whole fun resides in your making an informed choice according to your personal relationship with the line, not in making a blind-buy based on today's trend on a given forum, however good that forum may be.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I really like Bois d'Orage too, although the iso e super in it is a bit distracting. I'd love to find a similar scent that is so green, earthy, and dry, and yet modern, urban and sleek. Maybe the iso e is an integral part of that combination of disparate qualities. I don't know.
    Six Scents No.3 The Spirits of Wood is quite similar to Bois d'Orage, a younger version perhaps and i got the same faint cigarette/ashtray vibe from both fragrances.

Someone told that bigarade concentree is similar to Declaration by Cartier, being Ellena's creations, could that be possible?

I think Declaration is very similar to Bigarade Concentree, but BC is more orange-y. To me, BC is like strong orange zest. Like scratching your fingers across the outside of a green orange with some cumin sprinkled on it to give it a slightly mouldy/sweaty/curry smell. To me, Declaration is similar but milder.

I think of the Malle range the "feminine" ones are more edgy and unique.. like Une Fleur De Cassie, Une Rose or Noir Epices. If I (I'm male) had to pick one I'd go with one of those... but test them first for sure.

Musc Ravageur I think is the "safest" one.. it's all things cuddly, like vanilla and cinnamon buns and I doubt anyone would not like it. The "masculines" like Vetiver E and French Lover are also safe in my opinion. Really, really well done, but to me just somehow don't seem as unique as (e.g.) the others listed above.

To me, a lot of the "feminine" ones are thoroughly unisex after 1/2 to 1 hour and the top notes wear off, e.g. Une Rose. I think the exception is Carnal Flower, it was too much for me as a guy, I just felt ridiculous, but hats off to those guys who can pull it off.

Nice to see a broader discussion on this line.

Altho it is quite different in character French Lover was in large part the result of Malle and Pierre Bourdon playing with ways to push the envelope with what Jean Claude Ellena started with Angeliques Sous la Pluies. It's probably on record somewhere but this is also what he told us when he was here and it makes sense if you spend a bit of time with them both. It doesn't necessarily mean if you like one you'll like the other, but I like 'em both. FL is definitely the heartier of the two.

I have both Declaration and Bigarade Concentree and to me they both share that JCE parentage but as juk mentions, with different emphasis. I actually think of BC as more of a cologne (as in 'refreshing') and Declaration as a bit more of a heavy hitter.

And, at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, I concur with the comments above about Geranium Pour Monsieur. I think the mint is handled beautifully - the transition into the more floral aspect is masterful . . . seamless and just great through a long hot summer day. I've just recently found another really unusual use of mint to open a scent and create something more than the sum of the parts but it's a different line and it hasn't been released so I'll save that for another post . . .