Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Personal tendency

I have noticed that in the past year I have changed my taste for powerhouses and potent fragrances in favor of fresher one. I still like, appreciate and enjoy titans such as Knize Ten, Kouros, Opium, M7,Zino, Fahrenheit, Polo classic, Giorgio, Paco Rabanne, Santos, Antaeus , L Anarchist etc etc (you get the point). However I find myself reaching more to fresher fragrances even during winter time such as Aqua di Parma colonia , GIT, Chanel PM, Concentree orange verte, Guerlain Homme, Caron PH etc etc.

Does any of you have experienced the same (I hope temporary) swift in personal fragrance taste? Seems I am reaching back to what I liked better 20 years ago after being hooked to patchouli bombs and powerhouses for sooo many years.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal tendency

Maybe subconsciously you just needed a break from powerhouses... I've been on a 'rose kick' for the past few weeks & haven't worn anything from my usual chypres/fougeres. I don't think it necessarily means a change in taste as much as it is about 'rediscovery' & visiting 'old loves'. Enjoy this phase, my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Basteri. I was thinking last weekend of how I'm going through the opposite, I'm loving big time the old heavies in the Kouros/Tenere/Ocean Rain/Rochas Globe vein and look to wear them more.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lately, I have discovered that a very strong liking for powerhouse frags I had since my early teens, when most boys of my age wear some mainstream designer aquatic, well, this tendency which lasted me well into my early adulthood, gradually starts to shift towards a newly found passion for male gourmands

AromiErotici

I do the same thing bro. I go through phases where I burn out on the Powerscents and reach for something less substantial. It doesn't even matter the time of year. I always go back to the heavies....it's just a needed break from olfactory overload.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm imprinted with the distinct and forceful fragrances that were in style during the 80's, both classics and powerhouses of the era. I generally don't do light and fresh; when I do it's temporary.

Basteri, maybe you're simply imprinted with fresher scents...?
    Last edited by tott; 27th August 2010 at 06:09 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I'm imprinted with the distinct and forceful fragrances that were in style during the 80's, both classics and powerhouses of the era. I generally don't do light and fresh; if I do it's temporary.
    tott.....I guess I should point out that my version of lighter scents are probably heavyweights for others. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, it is all the way around... from conservative eaux-like notes (Monsieur de Gvenchy and Eau Sauvage) to power houses.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Variety, the spice of life.....

I will always love and lean towards powerhouses, but i also enjoy the light and lighter frags. I wore a fem frag today (Jil Sander No.4) and enjoyed a floral powerhouse all day. Tomorrow, i plan to wear Caron's Eaux de Caron Pure, a frag that makes CK One feel like a powerhouse.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

You and I are now alike. Except that I was never into 'powerhouse' fragrances and they were never my favorite category.

I like judicial use of 'power' ingredients, and favor lightness and balance in fragrances with a modicum of inventiveness.

I let the fragrance complement my personality, not the other way around.
    -

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Variety, the spice of life.....
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, Basteri. I'm a huge fan of powerhouse frags, too, but lately I've been reaching for lighter scents: i.e., Armand Basi Homme, Kenzo Jungle Homme, John Varvatos (light but persistent on my skin.) Maybe sometimes our noses/brains just need a rest from the heavier brews.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re:Personal tendency

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I have noticed that in the past year I have changed my taste for powerhouses and potent fragrances in favor of fresher ones. ...

Does any of you have experienced the same (I hope temporary) swift in personal fragrance taste? Seems I am reaching back to what I liked better 20 years ago after being hooked to patchouli bombs and powerhouses for sooo many years.
    Many would agree that fragrance trends reflect the Zeitgeist. What Basteri describes as an oscillation in personal taste might well be a small scale Zeitgeist shift. In different decades trends seem to switch between the complex and the simple, the conservative and the daring. Can it not be that after having been brave for some time we long for peace and comfort. The daring need to withdraw; the distant want to dare. (I am of the latter.)
    Last edited by Balthazar; 28th August 2010 at 04:58 AM.

My tendencies really haven't changed at all.

In general, I think I'm more floral than I was a year ago, but I like my florals to be on the darker side Jasmine is a good example - I would have never thought I could love it instead of tolerate. I also feel a certain vintage/classic vibe at the moment... Plus most EdTs have become too watery in feel.
    Yes, it's the spice in life, I agree.

Within a period of about 3 years, I went from a newbie, liking most frags, to having some sort of chemical sensitivity problem, which made me abandon the "power frags." After a few months of just mild, sweet frags, I was able to deal with stronger frags again. For probably a year now, I've been sorting out mostly "power frags." I still can't handle Kouros, but I like most others, even if I have to dilute them with vodka. I'm no longer a fan of frags that are really sweet (can't stand A*Men), and I never liked the fresh/aquatic stuff. Though I didn't even really detect leather in the newbie days, now leathers are among my favorite frags. And also I tend to like the more complex ones, like Acteur. I still have no idea if I will settle on a specific rotation or what, but every day seems to be a "new adventure" with this hobby. Even some of the cheapos are interesting to study.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your responses gents... seems I am going through some olfatory turbulances sort of speaking, as you well said variety the spice of life. I bought Habit Rouge 3 days ago
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

you are getting older, ant want to fell young again. That's your answer.
    god bless oakmoss

I used to like generic, easy to wear CK, Hugo Boss scents then after I began to explore the fragrance world, my taste moved more toward the gourmand path. Currently, I'm on my floral kick.