Code of Conduct

Default Best Mountain Scent

Hey Guys:

I was reviewing my bottle of Creed Himalaya today. I got to thinking that I have quite a few frags that are themed on the mountain experience. I don't climb mountains myself, but I know what I think smells good. I have Himalaya, He Wood Rocky Mountain, Swiss Army, Neil Morris Red Sky, and I guess even Roger Federer Cologne may qualify as a bit mountainous as well. In any case, my vote goes to Swiss Army as the best of the bunch so far based on my experience. Anybody else have a favorite mountaintop scent?

Default Re: Best Mountain Scent

Geir Ness is the first that comes to mind for me. It's like a mountain meadow in the spring, bursting with new wildflowers. Lovely scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Geir Ness is the first that comes to mind for me. It's like a mountain meadow in the spring, bursting with new wildflowers. Lovely scent.
    Yeah, I also have a sample of Geir Ness. Forgot to mention that uptop. Anyway, I still think that Swiss Army has a crispness to it that reminds me of mountaintops, and comes out as the best interpretion of the group.

Another one that comes to mind is Krizia Uomo. Smells like a forest of pine trees. Wonderful stuff.

Brad, great review of Himalaya on YouTube. I enjoy all of your reviews and spoofs. Apparently you're not a huge fan of Himalaya, but I have to say, it's my favorite mountain scent. I get this blast of cold air in the opening. Great stuff. I'd like to give Rocky Mountain Wood a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    Brad, great review of Himalaya on YouTube. I enjoy all of your reviews and spoofs. Apparently you're not a huge fan of Himalaya, but I have to say, it's my favorite mountain scent. I get this blast of cold air in the opening. Great stuff. I'd like to give Rocky Mountain Wood a try.
    Thanks man! Anyway, I mention in the vid that my bottle was dirt cheap on ebay (at least for a Creed frag). I could go to the trouble of buying a sample, which should be fresher and more authentic than the 4 ouncer I own, but 2 other Youtube reviewers said it wasn't too special anyway, so why bother? I also thought Paco Rabanne XS was OK, but not really bottle worthy either.
    Some even argue that Himalaya is inferior to XS, so now I'm really baffled!

I tried Himalaya and the test confirmed that it's too similar to XS, maybe a little "richer" or more complex, but not worthy its pricetag. longevity and sillage are similar,i can't afford something that expensive for an experience so average.

For me it's MdM Black

DeepSilence

Aramis Devin

When I think of mountains, I think of pine forests.
    Pino Silvestre
    Piney, herbal mossy fougere -I just figured out my SOTD for tomorrow!

Blog Entries

So far for me, Silver Mountain Water.

DSquared He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood - I don't get much wood or mountain in it, to me it's an ozonic-aquatic with violets, but i like it. I did like Creed SMW and Himalya, too, but they both were among the perfumes my skins seems to eat.

pino silvestre and krizia uomo

How can you guys not mention Acqua di Selva? Perfect mountain scent imo, lemony mossy pine.
    god bless oakmoss

La Base for Him by Magic Helvetia.

+1 for Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya and Geir Ness which is the cheapest.

Amouage Reflection Man
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Hey Guys:

I was reviewing my bottle of Creed Himalaya today. I got to thinking that I have quite a few frags that are themed on the mountain experience. I don't climb mountains myself, ... Anybody else have a favorite mountaintop scent?
    You long for kitsch. Your interest is in a scent that should evoke mountain without the person smelling it having ever been there. The definition of kitsch is right like that. Second hand feelings.

It doesn't wonder me that it began with some Creed brew. Fragrances never can be that specific as You ask for.

Oud Wood, Tom Ford reminds me of a walk in a forest.

I love mountains!
    My favorite version of a mountain is the plateau.
    A spectacle of an ocean of clouds, no trees in sight. Wide open, on a dense, barren earth, but so close to the air it feels like flying.
    Like this maybe:

I'm on a quest to find such a scent too. I'm hoping I can find it.

I would have recommended this before but I hadn't smelled it as it just came in with my new batch of samples. Anyhow, I think this one may qualify, although it's not really the scent of climbing a mountain or being on one so much as it is the scent of being at the base of the mountain on a cold day at the first rays of sunrise, looking up at its frozen majesty, and the frozen majesty of all the landscape surrounding you as the rest of the city still slumbers; I'm referring to none other than Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie.

Another sample that calls to mind purity, crisp air and silver skies, all while being modern and yet not thin or banal, is L'Homme de Couer by Divine. It really does smell pure. Pure icy water. Pure icy, silver skies. It's more optimistic than the more melancholy and brooding Sienne L'Hiver. It's almost as if L'Homme de Couer captures the top notes of Himalaya and extends them into a full length perfume.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 30th August 2010 at 10:55 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

If Geir was 80% less sweet it would be perhaps the ideal mountain fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I would have recommended this before but I hadn't smelled it as it just came in with my new batch of samples. Anyhow, I think this one may qualify, although it's not really the scent of climbing a mountain or being on one so much as it is the scent of being at the base of the mountain on a cold day at the first rays of sunrise, looking up at its frozen majesty, and the frozen majesty of all the landscape surrounding you as the rest of the city still slumbers; I'm referring to none other than Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie.

Another sample that calls to mind purity, crisp air and silver skies, all while being modern and yet not thin or banal, is L'Homme de Couer by Divine. It really does smell pure. Pure icy water. Pure icy, silver skies. It's more optimistic than the more melancholy and brooding Sienne L'Hiver. It's almost as if L'Homme de Couer captures the top notes of Himalaya and extends them into a full length perfume.
    Isn't L'Homme de Couer great? I think it's great stuff.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st September 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Isn't L'Homme de Couer great? I think it's great stuff.
    I don't know how I feel about it yet. While I really enjoy the opening and mid phase on paper, it may be a bit too unidimensional to really satisfy with a full wearing. I'll be testing it soon and hope that skin reveals more dynamics and nuances. It has the potential to be really great, I think.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!