Code of Conduct

Default Creed Himalaya and ambergirs

Hey guys:

Another question here. I've been really trying hard to get a good take on my bottle of Creed Himalaya today. I notice that the base contains a note called ambergris, which comes from sperm whales. Anyway, when I really think about it, Himalaya actually reminds me more of a dirty beach than a mountaintop. Am I on the right track here?
    Certainly mountains don't smell like this, do they?

Banned

Default Re: Creed Himalaya and ambergirs

in that the concept of snow-capped mountains is an invigorating, fresh experience, yes, Himalaya is fresh and it fits. as does Silver Mountain Water.

how in the world does Himalaya remind you of a dirty beach? because it has ambergris (whale-vomit) in it? haha... ambergris is used in TONS of fragrance... ones that are fresh, and ones that are not. don't draw any conclusions there.

I'm with Eroma on this one I do not get a dirty beach feel but fresh snow capped mountains due in part to the white musk been used. I to am wondering how you get that dirty beach feeling to.

Different skin chemistry + temperature + humidity can accentuate different notes. That's before even saying anything about the homogeneity of the bottles - there may be minute differences in concentrations, especially with organic matters so who knows?! the OP could have got a Himalaya 2012 (the movie) version...

Also, the name insinuates a lot about the scent, even subconsciously. Wouldn't look too much into it, really.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Himalaya doesn't just mean 'cool mountains'. What the frag attempts to replicate is the chilly atmospheric air (bright grapefruit top) and the peppery smoky ambience of the village surroundings (gunpowder note) of the Himalayan villages.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Eroma View Post
    in that the concept of snow-capped mountains is an invigorating, fresh experience, yes, Himalaya is fresh and it fits. as does Silver Mountain Water.

how in the world does Himalaya remind you of a dirty beach? because it has ambergris (whale-vomit) in it? haha... ambergris is used in TONS of fragrance... ones that are fresh, and ones that are not. don't draw any conclusions there.
    Real ambergris is first of all a material of peerless rarity. 'Guess there is more moon rocks on earth than real ambergris in the hands of perfumers.

May be the invigorating "concept" of making man smell like the Indian Alps (Himalaya as to remeber is not just Mt. Everest and K2 but a mointain range longing far into Europe) has to be read different. Imagine all those tourists up there, their debris, very low level to absent sanitary facilities, people suffering from severe altitude sickness ... . I really don't think of fresh when it comes to the real Himalaya. Besides the tourist centers we would have: Tulips - they are originated there, tea with rancid butter, the Yak and it's food and debris, it's manky wool, burning dung as to raise temperature above -20° Celsius before You even can think about brushing Your last three teeth. So far about the "concept" and the "fresh" experience.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Himalaya doesn't just mean 'cool mountains'. What the frag attempts to replicate is the chilly atmospheric air (bright grapefruit top) and the peppery smoky ambience of the village surroundings (gunpowder note) of the Himalayan villages.
    Sorry, gunpowder tea is situated somewhere else:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhejiang

Grapefruit is a tropic plant and again not situated in the Himalaya. It puzzles me how they could make it fit.

Edit: You think of this, don't you?

http://www.expenova.de/images/Himalaya.jpg
    Last edited by WildThingy; 27th August 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    That's just your mind desperately looking for connections and interpretations of what you smell based on what you know the name of the fragrance is.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Sorry, gunpowder tea is situated somewhere else:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhejiang

Grapefruit is a tropic plant and again not situated in the Himalaya. It puzzles me how they could make it fit.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I mean.

In perfumery, perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    That's just your mind desperately looking for connections and interpretations of what you smell based on what you know the name of the fragrance is.
    In perfumery, perception is everything.
    Pardon, shouldn't it read - preconception? The Etat Libre D'Orange line depends on names for frags that can be taken literally: Jasmine Et Cigarettes, and the other one ... Encens Et Bubblegum, what did You think?

Nah, it's perception, in part due to preconception.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm with Eroma on this one I do not get a dirty beach feel but fresh snow capped mountains due in part to the white musk been used. I to am wondering how you get that dirty beach feeling to.
    Now wait a minute. Don't most of the Creeds have an ambergris base? So, if MI, which conjures up a beautiful beach smell, has ambergris, wouldn't there be some aspect of MI in Himalaya? Ambergris must be like a chameleon note to conjure up beaches one minute, and then mountains the next.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Now wait a minute. Don't most of the Creeds have an ambergris base? So, if MI, which conjures up a beautiful beach smell, has ambergris, wouldn't there be some aspect of MI in Himalaya? Ambergris must be like a chameleon note to conjure up beaches one minute, and then mountains the next.
    Most of the post 1985 Creeds have ambergris in the base. To me, it's a creamy, buttery smell. Not crazy about ambergris, but I'm starting to like it more (since SMW has been getting me compliments)