Code of Conduct

Default My experience with Grey Flannel Today

Well today i was on my way to Marshalls to see if they had a Gautier 2, because i wanted to purchase it. They did, but they ripped me off because when i got home, i found out the bottle was already half empty. But before i returned it, i went to spray a little on my arm (and now i smell like french vanilla bread, awesome gona buy it online).

Anyway, so i went back to the fragrance section and decided to see if i could find anything else. Everytime i go there, i always see Grey flannel. And i heard so much about it here on BN and i always avoided it, and in the end i was like, Alright whatever lets just buy it.

So At first i opened the box and looked at the bottle. I stared at it for a while because i was so shocked by the beauty of the bottle. I don't know why but it was so simple, so plain, yet at the same time so elegant and classy. Anyway so i opened it and gave it a spray..

1st 5-10 min what on earth did i buy this smells terrible. Harsh abrasive violette with some dirty animalic notes? (a little bit of a urinal smell)

After it dried down a bit, WOW is all i can say. This smells... very refreshing and very clean. The violet leaf is really prominant and accompanied by a bit of mossiness. The fragrance reminds me of the colors purple and green and i'm not sure but the violet leaf gives me a bit of a natural and sensual feel to it. The fragrance is sooo smooth and so elegant and classy and i can imagine a very sophisticated gentlman wearing this. Smells a bit herbal and a bit leafy as well. It smells very pleasant and very smooth. I am glad i purchased it today! i was considering returning it when i first opened it.

Though.... i'm not sure my girlfriend is gonna like it lol (shes 16, im 17)

just a story i thought i would share

Default Re: My experience with Grey Flannel Today

This is what happened to me the first time I sampled Comme des Garcons Odeur 71.....I sprayed it and thought.....yuck.....this has to be the worst fragrance ever.....Those people at BN are crazy..... In about 45 minutes I was ready to make a purchase.
    Grey Flannel is a wonderful fragrance.....Give it a little time and You will fall in Love.....Great story!!!
    Gary

I've got to try this one.

I used to wear Grey Flannel when I was a kid. I haven't smelled it in quite some time, but I am sure I could still appreciate it. I would opt for GF over some wimpy aquatic ANY day.

I will try this for sure after reading that post.
    I love violets in perfumes.

Great story, review, and description, Slushi. You describe it perfectly.

As a result I'm going to wear Grey Flannel tomorrow.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Plus

How wonderful, Slushiex3. I couldn't have described it any better. I have a similar appreciation for the elegant bottle too. Grey Flannel is a class act & offers one of the best value for the money.

It's been forever since I've smelled this stuff. But what I remember is that I didnt like it. My tastes have certainly changed over the years, so I definitely need to rethink this one. Especially since Im a big fan of violets.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Blog Entries

For some reason of all the scents I have purchased so far this one is the only one that smells like it is an "all natural" scent.
    It may sorta sting your nose if you are sensitive at first application but it seems like such a concentration of real florals.

Sur la Plage

It's a great fragrance - a true classic.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slushiex3 View Post
    I don't know why but it was so simple, so plain, yet at the same time so elegant and classy.
    Though.... i'm not sure my girlfriend is gonna like it lol (shes 16, im 17)
    My feelings exactly. The bottle is great. I gave my own GF to a friends son. Hes in the hospital for some weeks. Some samples of my collection should entertain him during the long while.

GF made it on the stop, getting compliments and all. He was using Gaultier before. The stuff in the green/violett torso shaped bottle. Nice coincidence, isn't it?

I like it but my wife hates it.

Yeah, I always see GF at the Marshall's in my area, too. I've never tried it but I'm tempted to make it a blind buy. Many basenoters like it, and its dirt cheap. About 12-14 dollars for a 3.4 oz, if my memory isn't failing me. The only thing stopping me is the "old man smell" comments from some reviewers. Perhaps that is just hyperbole coming from younger reviewers. I'm in my late 30's so I wouldn't mind smelling like a distinguished gentleman, but not an old man.

When I was your age, I was very fond of Grey Flannel and owned a bottle myself.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Never liked it.

Haha, snagged a bottle today to add to my collection. It's not repulsive, but it's not great to my nose. The oakmoss in it sorta irritates me.
    Kerosene fragrance samples and bottles here: www.min.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    The oakmoss in it sorta irritates me.
    You're an IFRA spy eh, trying to brainwash us??!
    *tries to calm down*

There's a bottle of this on my fathers fragrance shelf, and from time to time I snag a spray, and one spray is ample. Though time and time again I just can't seem to enjoy it. I too love violet, but I don't get much violet from this at all.. if so, it's a very old take on the violet note. The opening of this smells like abrasive chemicals and mold to me. Although OP says it gets better within 5-10 mins, for me, it doesn't become tolerable until the 45 min-1 hr point. At which point it's just mediocre.