Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hommage Attar

15 65.22%
  • Tribute Attar

8 34.78%

Question Amouage Homage Attar vs Tribute Attar?

I have never tried any of those, the only Amouage I've sampled so far is Jubilation XXV and to be honest it wasn't anything special to my nose. Nothing wrong with the quality, but I wouldn't wear it. Now I'm thinking of sampling their attars, unfortunatly I can't find any samples of Homage on luckyscent.

As I understand attar means rose oil, so are the attars mostly about rose? Can anyone try to describe Homage Attar and Tribute Attar in words? I guess they are pretty dark and heavy rose? Any oud in them? I know the notes doesn't list oud, but I've read reviews saying there's oud. Are they somewhat similar to Montale's Black Aoud/Rose Attar?

Are there any major differences between Homage Attar and Tribute Attar? Which one do you prefer and why? I see tobacco is listed in Tribute Attar, what kind of tobacco? Dry? Wet? Please tell me everything about those perfume oils!
    Last edited by irrbloss; 29th August 2010 at 06:16 PM.

Default Re: Amougae Homage Attar vs Tribute Attar?

This is a toughie , I own and love both . Im certainly not the most articulate member nor is my olfactory gubbins the most complex so I will just type my incoherant babblings and take from it what you will

Homage , probably the finest fragrance in my wardrobe , it is staggerlingly beautiful . Definatly the more feminine of the two . Its rose and frankincense and a little oud from the start . I find both very linear , you know you apply and BAM they are there in all their complex glory . Homage has a lovely herbal citrus thing going on in the background which is lovely . You do literally need just a couple of drops to last 10 hours easy . I just think that its one of those ones that everyone should get to at least try and if you hate it then so be it but honestly its wonderful .

Tribute is much much darker , dense amazing dense smokiness , leathery rose . I find it has a spicy earthy quality too which maybe is the saffron ? You have to use a light application with this otherwise I do find it gets too much but as it wears down after a good few hours , the rose comes to the fore and the smokiness fades into the background , this is when Tribute comes into its own IMO

I wouldnt compare them to Montale - which Im also a fan of , they are way different , smoother not as harsh

I agree with Pour Monsieur that Homage is a very beautiful scent that you will ever get to smell with its's Rose and jasmine type fragrance. The word I'm looking for is sublime when I think of Homage but it is very floral and feminine and you would have to be ok with this to buy a full bottle as its very expensive.

I cannot compare it with Tribute as it would be like trying to compare oranges and apples they are so different. Tribute opens with a smokey Frankincense that you would find burning on charcoal in a temple/church. It drys down to a leather and tobacco fragrance and is quite potent. I find Tribute not to be a everyday scent but something for special occasions and if your spending a lot of money you may want to think will I be getting my moneys worth in its usage.

Out of the two imo Homage would be the easier to wear if you are ok with a floral frag which I am not but others are. It is a really beautiful frag which has got to be sampled. You may want to try the Perfumed Court for a sample.

If you haven't smelled an Attar, they can be quite strong. These two are very strong, and they are quite floral as well. While I like them both, I can't convince myself to wear them outside of the house. I think Attars are actually floral (could be other than rose) that are distilled into sandalwood oil. Many do seem to be rose, so you probably need to really like rose. I also have a kewda Attar, and in many ways you can see the resemblance to these Amouage Attars. These can be a bit harsh, especially if overapplied, and like I said, they are very floral. Good luck, they are interesting, but not for everyone. Sample if you can.

Do the Amouage attars smell medicinal in any way? If so, does the effect disappear in the drydown?

I really love the rose note in Black Aoud, but the oud can be somewhat harsh and sometimes even make me sneeze. If you like Montale Black Aoud, would you consider Homage Attar a safe blind buy (yes I know, NEVER blind buy fragrances)?

I have a sample of some indian attar (don't know what kind of attar), it almost smells like an old wooden box mixed with bread or something. Nothing like Black Aoud. I hope Homage Attar isn't anything like that?

Would you categorize Homage Attar primary as a floral fragrance with some hints of wood (oud)?
    Last edited by irrbloss; 28th August 2010 at 05:01 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't vote in the poll, as I love both.

Have you read my review of Homage irrbloss here?

I do not think either of them smell medicinal. The oud in both is much smoother and less Band-Aid smelling than the Montales and/or other luxury oud fragrances.

These should really be sampled first, as I do not think (because of the price) they are safe blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I didn't vote in the poll, as I love both.
    Have you read my review of Homage irrbloss here?
    That's a really nice review, it makes me even more sure I'll love (or at least like) the Homage Attar . I have actually ordered it now, yes I know - stupid me, but I couldn't stop myself . I've read so many good reviews of it, maybe it's not worth all that money, but I'm sure I would at least appreciate the scent and am 100% sure it won't be a scrubber . I also ordered a sample of Tribute Attar.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    ... I have actually ordered it now, yes I know - stupid me, but I couldn't stop myself . I've read so many good reviews of it, maybe it's not worth all that money, but I'm sure I would at least appreciate the scent and am 100% sure it won't be a scrubber . I also ordered a sample of Tribute Attar.
    Well allright - good luck irrbloss. Please post your thoughts about it, when you get a chance to give it a couple full wearings.

I have not sniffed Tribute but I intend to. Have tried only Homage out of all their attars (and I think its reputation is fully, very fully deserved) and most male EdP, out of which I don't really like any.

I humbly disagree with our good friend Sculpture - whose nose and ability to put thoughts in words I admire - regarding a noticeable difference in quality between homage and the EdPs not being there. To my nose there is an important (if perhaps not huge) difference. I have difficulties in even finishing my "official" Amouage EdP samples, good (but not seductive within my taste) as they are, while I will always have Homage at the center of my collection, as long as it (and I...) will be available. In my experience, Homage equals the very best of Creed (whichever you may think that is), while the rest of the line (what I know, that is) is far from that, even if quality is there almost consistently.

I am curious about and interested in Tribute (and possibly other Amouage attars).

Irrbloss, in my opinion it is impossible to apply Homage too lightly - really impossible. Even one "normal" dab with the glass wand may be too much unless you're dressed beautifully and formally. Lately I dip in only the end of a toothpick (!) and barely touch my hair on one forearm. Hard to believe, but that gives me "perfect" sillage. (I consistently tend to err on the side of discretion - I'm not young, you know.) I swear it's not to save the precious oil (which will last me years anyway), but because the lighter one applies, the more appreciation one gains for Homage's enormous subtlety and kaleidoscopic ambiguity. Too much and your nose is assaulted. I seldom buy "accessories" in this price range, but this is worth every cent. You won't really know it until you wear it a number of times. Very lightly.

When you open the beautiful maroon box/the bottle, don't inhale it will make you dizzy not in a good way! Depending on usage as well, I dare say there are far more uses in a 12ml Homage than in a 150ml EdP.

Also try sometimes a tiny tiny dab before going to sleep. (Appreciated hint from Hillaire.)

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Depending on usage as well, I dare say there are far more uses in a 12ml Homage than in a 150ml EdP.
    Yes, it's just ridiculous the strength of this stuff. It's almost hard to get a small enough "dose". 12ml would last a very long time.

Everyone here knows I'm a huge Homage and Tribute fan. I wouldn't be without either one, but if I was forced to pick one, the choice would be easy - hands down Homage wins. Why? because Homage is more of an everyday frag for me and Tribute is more of a special occaision frag.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Everyone here knows I'm a huge Homage and Tribute fan. I wouldn't be without either one, but if I was forced to pick one, the choice would be easy - hands down Homage wins. Why? because Homage is more of an everyday frag for me and Tribute is more of a special occaision frag.
    I agree that Homage is more of an everyday scent and that Tribute is more for special occasions but I like Tribute more, its more distinctive and a signature scent if there ever was one.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Banned

thebeck's summary is astute with Homage = (extraordinary) everyday fragrance, Tribute = Special Occasions.

They are worlds apart. Homage is ethereal; rose imbued with citrus & incense. Tribute is robust; animalic leather & resinous tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Everyone here knows I'm a huge Homage and Tribute fan. I wouldn't be without either one, but if I was forced to pick one, the choice would be easy - hands down Homage wins. Why? because Homage is more of an everyday frag for me and Tribute is more of a special occasion frag.
    Is Tribute as strong as Homage or stronger? I am tempted to get at least sample... or to offer six other Amouage samples in exchange for one... (:

Default Re: Amouage Homage Attar vs Tribute Attar?

I find it alot stronger but as has been mentioned its a different kettle of fish

I got my full bottle of Homage Attar today. It's a really beautiful fragrance! I get mostly roses, jasmin and something fresh - like the smell after a heavy rain. I got a very small sample of Tribute Attar too, it was very good too, but Homage Attar is the winner . Very versatile too I think, I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be appropriate to wear.

Basenotes Institution

So glad that you like it irrbloss!

I wore it twice yesterday, to the office and out to dinner last night. Just very tiny applications were so forceful and present...it really is a regal fragrance and I always feel like I'm treating myself when I wear it. I hope you feel the same.

So what's the proper way of applying it? I used the "glass wand" to apply one small drop on my wrist, then very gently rubbing it to my other wrist. Is it bad to let the "glass wand" (what IS it called?) touch your skin? Won't it contaminate what's in the bottle after a while? I'm clean, but I know there are different kind of bacterias living on the skin no matter how clean you are. I don't want to ruin my precious attar .

Homage is rich with good Jasmine absolute, and a great rose as well.
    Drastically overpriced, but my favorite from Amouage so far.
    So what's the proper way of applying it? I used the "glass wand" to apply one small drop on my wrist, then very gently rubbing it to my other wrist. Is it bad to let the "glass wand" (what IS it called?) touch your skin? Won't it contaminate what's in the bottle after a while? I'm clean, but I know there are different kind of bacterias living on the skin no matter how clean you are. I don't want to ruin my precious attar .
    The spice oils in tribute will kill any microbes. and same for the oils in Homage, just maybe a slower death for the little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Homage is rich with good Jasmine absolute, and a great rose as well.
    Drastically overpriced, but my favorite from Amouage so far.
    It's a lot of money for one small bottle, but one 12 ml bottle will probably last a lot longer than a 50 ml-bottle of any "regular" EdP.

I apply a single drop to each wrist and another to the inner elbow , which is more than enough . I dont swipe the glass thingie against the skin just wait for the drop to fall from it . I remember reading you shouldnt really rb your wrists together as it does something or other not sure if thats right or not though ...

It's a lot of money for one small bottle, but one 12 ml bottle will probably last a lot longer than a 50 ml-bottle of any "regular" EdP.
    It's true it's very strong and will last more than a 50ml bottle. But we did the math here some time ago in another thread, and 12ml's of oil is what alot of designer edt's have per 100ml bottle. Concentre D'Orange Verte for example (87% vol).

I tried both of them today. I like the opening of Homage more, Tribute is disgusting in its topnotes. Smells like an astray or burnt paper ashes. Upon drydown of both, I'm drawn to Tribute more, amber sweet and smokey. I was drawn to Homage to start but Tribute won it in the end.

Both of them aren't what I was expecting. I was looking for some really rich, thick heavy scents but surprisingly they're a lot softer, especially the Homage. I also get almost no rose in Homage. Light floral citrus sweet with a bit of frankincense.

I don't know if they're worth the 300+ price tag. They slightly resemble expensive rose soap bars.

For now, I like them, but I don't know if I love them.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 21st October 2010 at 03:57 AM.

my favorites are

molook and badr al bedour : allot of amber gris...safrons and oud.

Shams al doha : roses roses, safron and silve roud

I think that malook's drydown is a lot like homage's opening which is kind of strange.

I love both of them the most of what I have managed to try.

Tribute is I think the biggest concession to western tastes on the part of Amouage, of a sort I'm not a devotee of. The prominent male fragrance accord whatever it is (vetiver-sandalwood perhaps) that is the biggest component of tribute is not something I go for.

I went back and forth between the two all weekend. Homage has a more pleasant opening compared to the cigarette astray of Tribute. Though Tribute dries down to a nice smokey amber and Homage to something that resembles soap residue.

But after wrist sampling them, I decided to properly wear both. Tribute is far more interesting but when it comes to what I enjoy wearing more and the experience, it goes to Homage.

Tough call but if it had to come down to a bottle purchase, I'm leaning closer to Homage.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 25th October 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I own large decants of both. Problem solved.

Tip: Apply these VERY sparingly, and you'll smell them more. Trust me. I dab my Homage on with a toothpick and it has sillage/longevity for hours. These oils can easily cause nose fatigue if over applied or dabbed on straight from the vials.

Tribute is intoxicating. The Homage that I sampled was too soapy. Anyway in the split forums right now there is a split going on for Tribute. It's 3ml for about $61. I wish I had the money to join. Lol

I'm sat in Abu Dhabi airport right now with Tribute on one arm and Interlude on the other. Both fantastic but Interlude is the better frag. Never tried Hommage.

Amouage really are an amazing house!

I prefer Tribute over Homage. It is more edgy IMO. But Homage is also great.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I really love Homage and am dying to try Tribute...

Hopefully soon!

Anyone know a place in the States (California specifically) where one could test drive these bad boys?

Homage
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Partario

The only places I have seen Homage and Tribute in the States are in NYC (Bergdorf Goodman man, Aedes, and Min). In Italy, I have seen a larger collection of attars at Campomarzio in Rome and Loprofumo in Florence, where I smelled them a few days ago. Confirming my impression that Homage is now a bright, intense orange blossom with a bright frankincense and woody amber base. But no match to Tribute.

cacio