Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one would make a good signature cologne? (Please post why below)

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dior Homme

22 64.71%
  • Burberry Brit

5 14.71%
  • Rochas Man

7 20.59%

Default Long time lurker looking for a signature scent

Hi all,
    I love this community and it's helpful members, that's why I registered and want to take part in it!

I'm currently in my early twenties and I'm looking for a signature scent.

Default Re: Long time lurker looking for a signature scent

Dior Homme

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes Win.

These are all pretty different I would think. The only one I have tried on is Brit, and I got a very powdery Ginger. I understand Dior it pretty floral (Iris) for a mens fragrance, and Rochas is a sweet gourmand.

So, I guess its going to depend on what you like. Have you tried these on?

I used to believe in a "signature" scent, but I now have so many I rotate through that it would be impossible for me to settle on one "signature". So ultimately, if you like all three of these, there is no reason (unless money is an issue) that you couldn't own them all and use them all in a rotation or for different occasions.

Sur la Plage

Have you sampled all of these and have now narrowed the decision to these three?

I personally like and own all three. But if I had to pick one it would definitely be Dior Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hello and welcome on BN .

I own Dior and Rochas and never smelled Brit but I am not sure if any on of this 3 can get you through hot days safely.

Out of 2 that I tried Dior is more mature, elegant and original. Someone can consider it feminine, someone too old.. For me its allright.. but just for special occasions.
    Rochas is more casual gourmand that reminds me Axe Dark Temptation on steroids. Its versatile but can be very annoying in hot weather.

It really depends on conditions that you plan to use it. I ALWAYS fit my fragrance with clothes and would never wear Dior with t-shirt and shorts etc. So first tell us where and when do you want wear it (school, work, what kind of work (office, outside, etc), and what outfit do you use there. Also be sure to try them first (Rochas can be relatively safe blind buy if you like sweet fragrances but I can't say it about Dior).

I'd recommend you fragrances like Gucci PH II, YSL L'Homme, Bvlgari PH and Aqva, Chanel Allure Sport, Guerlain Homme, Chanel Platinum Egoiste or Versace PH that are IMHO more suitable as signature fragrance because they are very versatile.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Blog Entries

Of the choices, Dior, definitely.

I don't know why everybody here love Dior Homme... i don't get the point of this fragance.

Dior Homme is the best of the three IMO, I'm just not sure it's something you'd want to wear every day as a signature scent. Its flanker, Dior Homme Sport, might be better suited for daily usage. Second pick would be Rochas Man, which I think could work as a signature scent.

A signature scent is highly personal, and I am not sure I would let anyone else affect my choice. Pick the one that you like the most. Or better yet, if you are not sure, keep sampling. You may find your signature scent is just around the corner (or not). I personally have no desire to have a "signature" scent. I like to rotate through my collection as fits my mood for the day.

I have only tested Dior Homme and Burberry Brit for men on skin. Dior Homme did strike me first as a bit feminine, but shortly after retesting it I came to like it more and more. I have read that some users describe it as lipsticky and as a "makeup bag"smell but the makeup bag smell I only get when I sniff it really close. The lipstick smell I get, is this the Iris? I also smell cocoa and leather + vetiver (I think).

Burberry Brit slightly reminded me of Armani Code (which is highly popular here) but it seemed just a bit more powdery/rose with a woody finish. I liked it more than Armani Code (smelled somewhat like Play-Doh ), because I felt it was more special.

Rochas Man I added in the poll because of the reviews here claiming it was one of the scents that almost every lady seems to love? I only sprayed it on a card and found it not so spectacular... It somewhat reminded me of Givenchy Pi (but this one was too sweet for my likings).

-> Now that I've come to think about it, some time ago I came across Chic for men by Carolina Herrera, that's also one I LOVE but here at the local store they said they won't carry it anymore. Would Chic be a good signature fragrance?
    I hope it is not discontinued

Dior Homme, of course
    Watch my recent video reviews of
    Prada Luna Rossa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dv7TAmfrA
    Dior Homme Cologne 2013 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvutqcq00y4

Dior Homme does have the odd opening, but that's NOT the scent. For a signature scent, it's the most "balanced" of the three you listed. Most appropriate for a variety of situations.

Rochas Man is very nice, but strikes me as more a casual or dating scent. Don't know much about Brit.

Blog Entries

I have not tried Chic either, but being a fan of 212 Men it looks like I should. Based on the number of positive reviews in the directory it must be a pretty good fragrance. Most describe it as being very versatile. If you really liked it, and it's that versatile, then it fit's the criteria for "signature". But again, only you can make that call. I'd definitely recommend trying it again, and thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to look for it myself. Good luck.

I wanted to say Dior, too, but for a signature scent it's way too common IMO.
    One of the best sellers in germany along with boss bottled etc.
    I love it but wouldnt want to smell like so many others.
    Since another option you said was Rochas man, the choice is easy. A very good, attractive Gourmand, suitable for many occasions. But true, for hot days I might consider a fresh back up like hermes Sur le Nil.
    Smellin good

none of them.
    god bless oakmoss

i would pick dior.

i dont really like brit, and Rochas is nice but its more of a for fun sort of clubbing scent? you know?

To be perfectly honest only you can select your signature scent

To me a signature scent is something you can where anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. Depending on where you live, and how hot it gets, you might have a hard time wearing any of these during the summer because they could get cloying. Out of the three, I prefer the Dior, but it would never be my signature scent. Your mileage may vary...

Dior Homme. Dry, soft leather with cardamom and iris. Neither candied nor sharp and aggressive. Good cocoa note; the dryness keeps it from being too gourmand. Versatile, good for many occasions. Not overkill, nicely blended. Women seem to like it.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

I think I'll pick up Dior Homme (for fall/winter) and Herrera Chic (for spring/summer) Thanks for helping me make the decision!

Dior Homme

Dior.

Dior Homme, definitely.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    To be perfectly honest only you can select your signature scent
    I agree completely. I don't think signature scent definitely should be simple, light,... scent.
    Now my signature is Drakkar Noir. I enjoy it everyday that i wear it, whenever i sniff it. choose which one that you enjoy it more.
    However i voted Rochas Man. I like it more than another ones.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    To me a signature scent is something you can where anytime, anywhere, and anyplace. Depending on where you live, and how hot it gets, you might have a hard time wearing any of these during the summer because they could get cloying. Out of the three, I prefer the Dior, but it would never be my signature scent. Your mileage may vary...
    i agree, to my green irish tweed is the best signature scent. period.

If you like the drydown, Brit.

I just made a blog post about this. Check it out might help!

http://grandscentralcafe.blogspot.co...re-scents.html