Code of Conduct

Thread: Dsquared Potion

Default Dsquared Potion

My favourite new release so far this year. Anyone else tried it?

Default Re: Dsquared Potion

I have tried it but it wasn't for me.

Does anyone know where in the US this will launch..Want to spring for one of these..thanks

reminds me a little bit of Lolita Lempicka au masculin with a boozy initial note

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo View Post
    reminds me a little bit of Lolita Lempicka au masculin with a boozy initial note
    The very latest from Annick Menardo as I understand. I hope to try it too.

Also comes as a perfume oil, in a little bottle with an eyedropper. Nothing much on ebay yet except a few things from people who seem to be selling it because they don't like it.

Sounds like just my kind of stuff. ;- )

PS. Even their online shop seems not selling the stuff yet ( worth a look for their over-the-top campaign videos though...check the one for their perfume "Wood" http://www.dsquared.com/html/perfumes/ . That guy running through the woods : That's me all right. ) so I suspect it will still be a while before it's in any sort of common distribution.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 17th September 2011 at 05:42 AM.

i tried it today and it took me a while to figure out what it reminded me of...

BULGARI BLACK!

but a little bit more streamlined, no burned rubber, sweet, but i like it quite a bit.

I'm not surprised that it smells like Black.

It seems that many houses are beginning to feel that in order to not be left behind, they'll need an anestic fragrance in their line.

And who better to make them one but Anneck Menardo.

I liked it, but found the sillage and longevity to be *extremely* poor, especially considering that it's an edp. I didn't try the perfume oil though.

Oh and I don't think it smells anything like Bulgari Black.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have tried it but it wasn't for me.
    Where did you try it?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's nothing like Bulgari Black, it's a lot like Gucci pour homme I.

agree nothing like bulgari black, but if you want comparisons (which is really just an indication it shares some key ingredient of something else that your sensitive to) for me it is Gucci Pour Homme crossed with LL au masculin. I got a sample, worn it a few times and still really like it. a must have , for me at least

it's the best yet from the dsquared line.get it.it does remind me of Heritage edt.u wont regret it

The longevity and sillage are *horrible* though.

For me also one of this years favorite designer releases also.
    I get decent longevity out of it, 3 hrs. However it´s not the edp strength we are are used to.It´s more an edt strength to me. I wonder how the oil version is.
    Last edited by eric; 1st October 2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman_xx View Post
    Hmm.. Quite anxious to try it then, as I love Gucci Pour Homme, Dsquared Rocky Mountain Wood and most of Annick Menardo's creations
    Current favorite: Chanel Bois des Iles

longevity and projection are fine on me.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    For me also one of this years favorite designer releases also.
    I get decent longevity out of it, 3 hrs.
    3 hours? I wouldn't spend money on a fragrance that only lasts for 3 hours. Our definitions of "decent longevity" are clearly at odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    3 hours? I wouldn't spend money on a fragrance that only lasts for 3 hours. Our definitions of "decent longevity" are clearly at odds.
    Maybe. For me, a fragrance wich last 5 till 8 hrs is good. ,3 to 4 hrs is decent.

Few fragrances in my collection, designer and niche last longer than 8 hrs. Montales, Pure Distance M, Guerlain Arsene Lupin ,Tonka Imperiale for example, they last longer than 8 hrs on me.
    I have yet to encounter a fragrance that lasts longer than 24hrs. Montales maybe (which I don´t wear a lot these days) and Pure Distance. Maybe some real expensive parfums extracts.

From most of the new designer scents relased these days I´m glad if I can get 3 till 4 hrs from them.
    I like Potion, but it´s not edp strength in my book.

I do like Potion also. A definite cut above the vast majority of designer releases. It's just a shame about the longevity, for me anyway. I must try the oil if I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman_xx View Post
    +1. Tried it today.

Ok I'm a touch confused here. This can't be right. I've now heard "Potion" compared similar to Bugari Black, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, Heritage EDT & Gucci Pour Homme I .... And then also read some other review describe it as very reminiscent of Tom Fords Oud Wood. So much so that it could be used as an easy replacement for it.

Now to me this is quite absurd. None of these mentioned fragrances even remotely resemble each other (AT ALL !) To my nose these all smell totally and distinctly different from one another, I smell no similarities between them. ~ So they can't all be similar to "Potion", it would be impossible ????

So which is it then ??? ... Which one does it actually come closest to smelling similar too ? ~ If any ??

And does anyone here agree that it is indeed that similar to TF's Oud Wood, by any chance ? (As now this would certainly be most welcome if true. As the price of "Potion" is so much more attractive (*read affordable* !) )

I've searched for a sample for my own personal assessment but have unfortunately been unable to find one yet. So I thought I'd come ask meanwhile. As this thread has only proven to further confuse me about what I might expect from Potion !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th October 2011 at 08:19 PM.

well, as i said earilier, comparisons to other perfumes are usually pretty arbitrary. Someone with an unrefined and untrained nose (like me, and most others whether they think that way about themselves or not) is always going to latch onto certain recognisable aspects of a scent and draw comparisons that others don't smell. It's vague and imprecise using language to describe smell.

I did a side by side (top notes) comparison with Gucci Pour Homme and can smell the smilarities. I also did a side by side with Bulgari Black - I can now sense a link in the openings, but they diverge so much just a minute or two. I wouldnt describe them as similar in character at all really. My memory of Lolita Lempicka is that they smell quite similar but i dont have my bottle to confirm. I don't know Heritage, unfortunately.

I have a slightly hazy recollection of TF Oud Wood, I think its safe to say its in the same ballpark. but i guess you just need to smell it for yourself, to know if what you like about TF Oud Wood is the same thing other people are getting from Potion. I found my sample at harvey nichols so maybe try there

btw someone posted an article here the other day (or was it somewhere else?) about how the expectation of what we are going to smell affects how we actually smell it. so maybe ljust think positive!

Anyway I have lost a bit of enthusiasm for Potion. I still like it but I don't feel like its a must have any more. maybe with a big discount

Cheers, thanx "pawful" for that thorough answer. ) ...

Please can you answer me one more thing ? ... The one thing I get most from Lolita Lempicka is the prominent licorice/anise facet it has. And since I'm not particularly a fan of anisic notes, I'm now a little weary. I'm not aware of "Potion" having any anise or licorice in it. Did you pick up any anisic notes from Potion ? ~ As that would be the killer of Potion for me.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - (E.E.Cummings)

------------------------------------------

yes, actually i did. Surprised its not listed in the notes

To me, this is close to Full Incense by Montale in the opening and linear. I don't find any similarities to Lempicka or Heritage

It seems like a cross between Pure Malt + Lempicka + Gucci PH II
    Yet to try it, wonder when it's going to get released here...

I kinda like this one.. but longetivity indeed disappointing.. I'm kinda twisting.. buy or not.. what's a good similar designer alternative for this? I love the smokey sweetness (amber)..
    unico grande amore.

Thumbs up Re: Dsquared Potion

Not for me. Longevity and projection are very very poor, IMHO
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I may be odd man out but I get decent sillage and longevity with this one. It becomes more muted but still present. very nice anxious to try ancillary products

Quote Originally Posted by agml65 View Post
    I may be odd man out but I get decent sillage and longevity with this one. It becomes more muted but still present. very nice anxious to try ancillary products
    Exactly.. tried it today at 1:30 pm.. and now (9:57 pm) I still smell it in a very suble manner..
    unico grande amore.

As I said in my previous thread, the fragrance it's closest to is Tommy Bahama original. I tried both side by side and the resemblance is remarkable. If I didn't already have Tommy Bahama - which gives greater longevity anyway, I would definitely buy Potion.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Giustino View Post
    Exactly.. tried it today at 1:30 pm.. and now (9:57 pm) I still smell it in a very suble manner..
    How is 8 hours longevity considered "disappointing" ??? ... Hell, I would consider 8 hours longevity from average to even "not bad". But certainly not exactly "disappointing". .... I think disappointing would be more like 3 to 5 hours. (But then I suppose that's me. Maybe I'm just not as demanding !? (Though I thought I was ;o) ... )

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Where did you try it?
    Probably in his mind..

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    How is 8 hours longevity considered "disappointing" ??? ... Hell, I would consider 8 hours longevity from average to even "not bad". But certainly not exactly "disappointing". .... I think disappointing would be more like 3 to 5 hours. (But then I suppose that's me. Maybe I'm just not as demanding !? (Though I thought I was ;o) ... )
    I know I know, but it wasn't me telling it's disappointing haha. In fact.. my experience wasn't bad with it..
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Giustino View Post
    I kinda like this one.. but longetivity indeed disappointing.. I'm kinda twisting.. buy or not.. what's a good similar designer alternative for this? I love the smokey sweetness (amber)..
    This is what you wrote quoted above : ... "but longevity indeed disappointing" .... Then you followed by saying it lasted almost 8 hours on your skin. ... (Which is why I commented. Sorry if I misunderstood you). )

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    This is what you wrote quoted above : ... "but longevity indeed disappointing" .... Then you followed by saying it lasted almost 8 hours on your skin. ... (Which is why I commented. Sorry if I misunderstood you). )
    Yes true, I should've said: "It's looking strength quite fast, but stays on for a while." haha. No problem!
    unico grande amore.

It's quite outstanding stuff! Wood/insence/resin. Very close to another favourite of mine, MFK Cologne Pour Le Soir!

Yes and I liked it, richer and spicier than other Dsquared releases, has something mature and comforting about it

I like it as well, very good stuff.
    If I spray it very close to the skin, longevity is great, +12-14 hours with some good projection. If i spray it just as i do usual with other frags, i get half of the longevity and projection i mentioned earlier. Weird...

Yes I liked it a lot...I immediatley bought a 100 ml bottle after sniffing it...the only problem is its longevity, it completely dissappears after 2-3 hours :-(

I find that the EDT has better projection compared to the EDP.

I purchased a bottle of Potion one week after its release to the market. It smells fabulous, warm, cozy, vanilla, amber and cinnamon are great in this composition. And I love the opening before the drydown. Little sweet. EdP lasts on my a full day, and it garnered so many complimments during winter season.

Has this been released in the US yet? I think it should be by now unless it has already been discontinued.
    Last edited by Balthazar; 26th April 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Has this been released in the US yet? I think it should be by now unless it has already been discontinued.
    I get the sense that it's never going to be released in the US. The first hint I've seen so far, as to US availability, is a group of a dozen discounted testers that showed up on E-bay today.

For others who saw them (they seem to be going fast) be hip to the fact that they are being sold asthe EDT version, and not the EDP (despite the picture, which shows the EDP). I'm not sure how much difference there is in the various versions, but you continue to hear a certain low rumbling bitch about projection and longevity, so the EDP may be worth holding out for.

As an aside, I actually did see a picture of someone's 30 ml bottle of EDP, so those smaller bottles do seem to exist.

Apparently there's an oil as well, along with soaps, shampoo, and all that other stuff.

But if it's still not here in the US ( them Canadians don't like us ?) I get the feeling it never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I get the sense that it's never going to be released in the US. The first hint I've seen so far, as to US availability, is a group of a dozen discounted testers that showed up on E-bay today.

For others who saw them (they seem to be going fast) be hip to the fact that they are being sold asthe EDT version, and not the EDP (despite the picture, which shows the EDP). I'm not sure how much difference there is in the various versions, but you continue to hear a certain low rumbling bitch about projection and longevity, so the EDP may be worth holding out for.

As an aside, I actually did see a picture of someone's 30 ml bottle of EDP, so those smaller bottles do seem to exist.

Apparently there's an oil as well, along with soaps, shampoo, and all that other stuff.

But if it's still not here in the US ( them Canadians don't like us ?) I get the feeling it never will be.
    Many fragrances that appear in the US right after their official release to the market never appear in the European market. And there are quite many of them. There were so many obstacles on my way to get some fragrances at a fair price from abroad, because they were unavailable in my country.

Happily Dsquared2 Potion landed in our market just one week after it's release. In Poland we have a variety of EdT and EdP, both in 30, 50 and 100ml. Deosticks are also available, haven't seen the shower gel and perfumed oil yet.

Hi, this is my first posting here so hello everyone.

I love Potion and I bought the oil first. I don't have a fragrance vocabulary yet so apologies, but I just wanted to say that the 'oil' is not what I consider to be oil. The consistency is that of face cream, and it reminds me of some of the make up products which feel slippery and disappear very rapidly into the skin leaving a very smooth coating, but which do not moisturise.
    It does however seem to me to be deeper and sweeter than the edp which I have too.

Greetings from Ruth.

It's in quite a few stores here in Ireland, but I have never seen the EDT. The stores here only seem to stock the EDP. I've tried that a lot, but find the sillage and longevity to be shockingly poor. Such a shame, as I really do love the actual scent.

I don't find the sillage and longevity a problem at all. Yes, it's not projecting a lot but I don't want that from dense and sweet fragrances. Longevity - I get at least 8 hours.

A very nice, unique fragrance. Like the bottle as well.

Just got a bottle of Potion EDP. I took a chance on this but i really liked Gucci Pour Homme I as well. The first 10 seconds I get the somewhat similarity between the two. After that, no way. Longevity as mentioned by others is not good, terrible actually. I'll return this tomorrow. Then off to get the real deal, Gucci Pour Homme I. With its warmth I can see relaxing at home with Gucci Pour Homme I. With Potion I am looking to wash it off and find something else for this evening. Of all the scents I have tired this year, Potion EDP and EDT are the biggest let down for me.

A heads up for anyone interested in this one in Canada, They have it for half price at the bay (I'm sure you all realize that its super rare for a fragrance to get discounted at the Bay). They had a 50ml set with a body wash for $37, which is definitely a good deal. Online they are selling the EDP as well.

Honestly I think this fragrance is superb, just the longevity and sillage that has me a bit confused.

They also have Sexual Sugar Daddy for sale as well (I believe also half price)
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Thanks Neil4Speed, got me some Potion today at the Bay in Montreal. They didn't have any more EdP though, that was pretty disappointing. If anyone's looking for that, it's best to buy it off the Bay website.

I'm definitely liking Potion quite a bit. It opens up with a minty, anise and cinnamon, and dries down to a clean and musky amber that isn't heavy at all. It's quite clear-cut for an amber fragrance.

As for longevity with the EdT, so far I'm only getting a few hours, but it might just be habituation. I'll have to report back once I've given it more wears.

- - - Updated - - -

Sidenote: I don't usually trust SAs when they say fragrances are going to be discontinued, but that's what they told me today (whether it's true or not). Supposedly Potion isn't selling very well, or nearly as well as He Wood, so they're putting it on sale because this is the end...
    Sales thread here