Code of Conduct

Default Chanel no 19: differences among P, EdP, EdT

Hello all,

I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with Chanel no 19. I just love love love it. The problem is that it's getting increasingly hard to get the parfum in the US, as only the EdT is sold here these days. It's sometimes on eBay but often at hideously high prices. The EdP is available from online retailers like Ebay, but before I purchase, I wanted to get more information about it.

From what I understand--and this really annoys me--Chanel actually bottles different formulas for no 5 and no 19 in the parfum, EdP and EdT strengths. I know they aren't unique in doing this, but it does make the consumer's life more difficult. For both no 5 and no 19 it seems that the EdP was created comparatively late in the game (1980's) and is a dreaded "modern reinterpretation" of the original.

Can you experts let me know how you judge the various versions of no 19? I.e., which is closest to the parfum, which is most unisex (as I'm a guy), notes, etc... (paging Mr. Tott! paging Mr. Tott!)

On a tangential note, I realize that Chanel no 19 has changed, but having smelled the vintage (amber colored) and new (bright green) parfums side by side, the new juiceŚwhile not as complex as the original and certainly more floralŚat least isn't as disastrous as many other reformulations. As Tott pointed out in an earlier post, it would be nice, however, if Chanel didn't LIE about the fact that it has changed and simply acknowledged the need to reformulate due to EU restrictions or whatever.

Default Re: Chanel no 19: differences among P, EdP, EdT

Well, thank you for your faith in me!

IMO the edt is probably the easiest to wear for a man, followed by the parfum and edp last. The edp is the prettiest and most obviously floral formulation and is the one leaning most towards typically feminine. But even though the edp may be the most feminine, it's actually still pretty much unisex. There's a certain starchy freshness to No 19 that keeps it in neutral territory, so to speak.

Btw, have you tested Sisley's Eau de Campagne? If not, I recommend it.
    Last edited by tott; 28th August 2010 at 08:13 PM.

I have a few drops of the vintage Parfum & 7ml of EDP courtesy of eBay.

The former is a viscous, oily golden-yellow & the tobacco-ey iris note is very pronounced at the very beginning.

The EDP is more gentle but essentially a toned down version.

This is another frag I'm addicted to & am convinced that men can wear successfully.
    Last edited by domperrier; 29th August 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Well, thank you for your faith in me!

IMO the edt is probably the easiest to wear for a man, followed by the parfum and edp last. The edp is the prettiest and most obviously floral formulation and is the one leaning most towards typically feminine. But even though the edp may be the most feminine, it's actually still pretty much unisex. There's a certain starchy freshness to No 19 that keeps it in neutral territory, so to speak.

Btw, have you tested Sisley's Eau de Campagne? If not, I recommend it.
    I agree with this. The EdT is the most wearable version for men, as the others are much more floral in comparison.

Yes, all 3 formulas of No.19 are different, the same thing can be expected of for example the different concentrations of Coco Mdmoiselle (the edt is a fruity chypre and the edp is a floral one) , Coco, No5 etc etc.
    Which i think makes the house a very interesting concept in elaborating different formulas as if it were different art compositions of one painting and i appreciate that very much.

cheers

Blog Entries

I'm bumping this thread because I am wondering if this is accurate . Why I am going on a green kick in November is beyond me. Also, does anyone know why the EdT is lime green? I am afraid to even try it because of the color.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I love the edp myself, its so fresh and green without the harshness of the edt. But you should definetely try them out both Fleurine! Maybe also the Poudre if you find all the green-ness intimidating.

I have to get myself a ml of vintage parfum! $_$
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

I have never tried the parfum, but own the edp and have tried the edt. My favourite formulation is defenitely the edp. I agree it's the most floral version and less "sharp". I think that's probably why I prefer that version. All about irises and roses with a green twist

Blog Entries

For a long time I though I couldn't wear itt, but now I'm craving a bottle. I think I might go with the EdP

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Blog Entries

You can usually get the parfum from Saks, NYC, especially at Christmas! Just call on the phone. Look it up on Google and get transferred to the cosmetic counter. They will take your credit card! Lots of samples come, too! The parfum is creamy & dreamy, IMO!

hi!
    My favorive is http://beauty-and-parfum.ecrater.com...l-eau-toilette

A spectacular scenario. An unexpected masculine spirit. BLEU DE CHANEL embodies a tribute to masculine freedom.

I first tested EDT, but I was wrong so I thought it was EDP, and I did not like it on my skin. I found it very masculine or more suitable for men. Anyway, not for me.

Once I discovered my mistake I proceeded test the 'actual' EDP and I fell in love so I purchased.

I agree most of you that EDT is more masculine, but also find EDP OK for Men.

I haven't tried the edp or pure Parfum version, but the edt is very easily unisex for sure.
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I wear the EDT and EDP both. The EDP is slightly more feminine and deeper ,but not by much and still very masculine. I LOVE Chanel No19!!!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

A kindly BNer sent me some '70s parfum. It has a wonderfully expansive iris heart with soft, green edges.

I tried Chanel No 19 edt but it doesn't last. I get maybe 3 hours or less. It smells very nice though, only wished it lasted longer. Very disappointing. I haven't tried the Parfum, edp or poudre versions. Does anyone else get better longevity on the edt? I should add that I am using the reformulated or most current formula.
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com