Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Kouros. I'm considering it and (to a lesser degree) Kourum. Opinions?
    I like Michael Kors for Men, Antaeus and feminine fragrances like Mitsouko, Jicky, Montales - Cuir D'Arabie, Aoud Leather, Black Aoud etc..
    Is Kouros unisex? Does it better suit women or men? Asked on the women's board but didn't get much love for Kouros, although Quorum got a vote.
    Thanks.

    lodz.
    Last edited by lodz; 28th August 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Kouros is – to me – one of the archetypical masculine scents. That doesn't mean that women can't wear it!

    The opening of Kouros can be a bit overwhelming, and I guess this is where many dismiss it; but as it cooks on your skin it just gets better and better, hour after hour...

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    78,316

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes - because it simply is a great scent IMO.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes- Kouros in my opinion is a more masculine scent. Although i long said it would be the worse fragrance i've ever smelled at first, i finally gave it a try and it went to a nice golden honey avnilla cinnamon scent. Its quite pleasant

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes! I really quite like it. I don't love it, but it's fun, quirky, and if someone gave me a bottle I'd assuredly wear it.

    It smells spicy and floral and a little tangy in a rude way. I definitely get the urinal puck association, but I'm at a loss to explain why a fragrance that smells like a well-used urinal puck is fun and enjoyable, and almost cuddly once the drydown arrives.

    To my nose totally unisex, but I have no gender associations with this apart from the aforementioned.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    It's a great scent. Get a sample and wear it a couple of times.

    If you're going to run into a store and spray it on card, don't waste your time.

    Women can wear anything, but Kourous is quite masculine I feel.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Too animalic for me, and I like animalic frags, if the blend is well done. I don't feel that Kouros is for someone with my skin chemistry. If your skin chemistry really "eats up" frags, then it might be for you. I've tried diluting it but that still does not work. The nasty animalic notes just sit there for hours, clobbering the others.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Absolute NO for me.

    I find it absolutely disgusting. Why on earth would I want to smell of a urinal cake? Vile.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes! Absolutely! A Classic male fragrance.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Look, just spray it on your skin and give it a whirl. You will either 'get it' or not with Kouros. I absolutely love it and think its a work genius. There is nothing else like it at all.

    You may absolutely hate it. It has this reputation for smelling like 'urinal cakes'. Whoever started this association I wish I could clobber round the head (in a friendly way . It is often better described as a 'clean-dirty' scent. In fact its very difficult to pinpoint what exactly it smells like. That's mainly because it doesn't smell like anything else!

    There really is nothing left to say about Kouros. You'll either recoil in horror or will have it in your wardrobe for the rest of your life. Me? I'm in the latter category.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    When I tested Kouros in a store, I didn't like it.
    It came over to me as a fragrance for 30 - 40 + men.
    Although I'm trying to get a spray sample of it, I want to give this a full application.

    Quote Originally Posted by lodz View Post
    I like Michael Kors for Men, Antaeus and feminine fragrances like Mitsouko, Jicky, Montales - Cuir D'Arabie, Aoud Leather, Black Aoud etc..
    Well, I do think that Black Aoud is not that feminine, IMO.

  12. #12
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    When I tested Kouros in a store, I didn't like it.
    It came over to me as a fragrance for 30 - 40 + men...
    Thank god there's still something for 40+ year-old men!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Thank god there's still something for 40+ year-old men!
    Well I don't see a young guy pulling this one off easily, lol!
    All the dirt and urinal cakes in this one need mature confidence.

    Some people perceive Rive Gauche in the same age category, but I disagree on that one.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Rock Hill SC, Near Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    615

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I say get it, but when you apply it, go easy...use a light hand. The top notes are bit loud, but once it dries, it's very ice.

    Come to think I need another bottle. It's one of the few scents that I've actually finished in a years time. Nice scent for winter.

  15. #15
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes, because It is one of the best male fragrances ever created - and is still infinitely better than most fragrances sitting on store shelves today.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  16. #16

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I'm leaning towards a yes, and can see myself giving a definite yes in the future after more sampling. It is, however, the one scent which I have the most difficulty imagining a woman wearing.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    No.....This smells really bad on me.....really bad.....And my Wife does not like this at all.....Body Kouros is another story!!!
    Gary

  18. #18
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,366

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Def. yes: it makes a statement, it is different from most, it is complex, etc.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjcr
    It is often better described as a 'clean-dirty' scent. In fact its very difficult to pinpoint what exactly it smells like. That's mainly because it doesn't smell like anything else!

    There really is nothing left to say about Kouros. You'll either recoil in horror or will have it in your wardrobe for the rest of your life. Me? I'm in the latter category.
    Agreed, word for word. You'll either "get" Kouros or you won't, and the only way to decide is testing it (preferably from a sample - it can take time to grow on you). Of course, I bought it blind and happened to love it, but I'm insane. The quintessential "love it or hate it" scent, as well as a fickle one in terms of skin chemistry. Kouros works brilliantly on some guys and rather...not-so-brilliantly on others.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes, it is classic and by today's standard's would probably be unique!

  21. #21
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I'll give it another shot in 6 months when i dare to touch this stuff. When i tried it i found it cloying, obnoxious and simply repulsive. I got a urinal cake vibe but with a twist...of what i'm assuming is the whole "animalic" note

  22. #22

    Cool Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by mjcr View Post
    Look, just spray it on your skin and give it a whirl. You will either 'get it' or not with Kouros. I absolutely love it and think its a work genius. There is nothing else like it at all.

    You may absolutely hate it. It has this reputation for smelling like 'urinal cakes'. Whoever started this association I wish I could clobber round the head (in a friendly way . It is often better described as a 'clean-dirty' scent. In fact its very difficult to pinpoint what exactly it smells like. That's mainly because it doesn't smell like anything else!

    There really is nothing left to say about Kouros. You'll either recoil in horror or will have it in your wardrobe for the rest of your life. Me? I'm in the latter category.
    And I'm in the former. I believe Gomez Addams would go for Salvador Dali PH but Kourus is strictly for Uncle Fester. But this is a well thought out post.

    Trying it on! What a concept!
    --I concur.

    ******************

    Well, so far on this thread we've had lovers and haters which is OK by me. However we've also had comments on:

    How high or low Kouros is on the Machometer.

    Do chicks dig it ? Apparently not, judging by the Female Forum response.
    Though I wonder who was the pervert (and I use that word with all respect and love) who dug Quorum over there?

    Is it better on women?

    Is it best suited for 40+ year old men? ( The poor bastards have one foot on the grave already)

    *sigh*

    In short all that we love about out Forum.

    However, I am deeply disappointed that no one used this opportunity to bash a Creed fragrance!!

    Deja Vu!

    (That's French for: " For the love of God, type " Kouros " in the search engine and count the number of times this exact question has been asked. Not similar, EXACT.)


    So...does GIT smell like Mugler?

    Cheers,

    Mario
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I wear it and feel tucked in a cloak of dignity.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    It's not one that is easily broken down into it's lesser parts. It's a complicated, multi-faceted beast of a scent. I don't get the "urinal cake" thing at all, although it's definitely sensory overload when first applied. It dries down nicely, but it's damn near impossible to describe as it's different on everyone.

    I love it, but it's confusing. The only way I can describe it is that there's no best time to wear it, only a best mood.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    No, because I like to smell nice - not like I just got done rolling around in dog shit

  26. #26

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    No, because I like to smell nice - not like I just got done rolling around in dog shit
    Wow, helpful AND informative.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Leaving aside the skin chemistry point, meaning that if I had to assess Kouros based only upon mine, I'd say that it's a failed attempt at merging the Victorian kind of frag (musky, animalic, etc.) with the 80s "power frag" kind of idea. What results comes across as more of an attempt to cover up a horrible smell with powerful chemical disinfectants (thus the "urinal cakes in a men's room" impression) than anything else. I can understand Bijan for men, for a point of comparison, but not this, at least not for a personal and pleasant olfactory experience. I thought that diluting it might eliminate the harsh, unbalanced, offensive qualities, but it does not, though I've found that doing so makes One Man Show pleasant/wearable. In short, I think the idea was to "throw the kitchen sink" in and "amp it up to the max," thinking that moths are attracted to flames, or something along those lines. How it can be used to impress (or repulse) others is a question I'm not really interested in, but it's clearly a "statement making" frag.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes because all the cool kids were wearing it when I was in high school.

    Seriously, yes because I simply like it and find the smell keeps me wanting to smell it and keep thinking of how amazing it can be that I can smell so interesting because of it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  29. #29
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,826

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by lodz View Post
    Kouros. I'm considering it and (to a lesser degree) Kourum. Opinions?
    I like Michael Kors for Men, Antaeus and feminine fragrances like Mitsouko, Jicky, Montales - Cuir D'Arabie, Aoud Leather, Black Aoud etc..
    Is Kouros unisex? Does it better suit women or men? Asked on the women's board but didn't get much love for Kouros, although Quorum got a vote.
    Thanks.

    lodz.
    Yes. Because it's excellent, and women can wear any men's fragrance. The masculines often smell even better on women. Try stuff like Yatagan, Jules, and Lauder for Men as well.

    The women's board here doesn't tell you much. They're not really into masculine fragrances from what I can tell over the last four years.

    My girlfriend wears loves to smell Kouros on me. I know women who wear it. Check out Katie Puckrik Smells online. She wears it for the incense.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th August 2010 at 11:40 AM.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    YES
    It is the greatest male fragrance of all time.

  31. #31
    fountain
    Guest

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Kouros is – to me – one of the archetypical masculine scents. That doesn't mean that women can't wear it!

    The opening of Kouros can be a bit overwhelming, and I guess this is where many dismiss it; but as it cooks on your skin it just gets better and better, hour after hour...
    damn right

  32. #32
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Yes.

    It's the fragrance equivalent of sex in the bathroom.
    * * * *

  33. #33
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Kouros is a great masculine scent. Because of its tenacity, common sense dictates that the wearer apply it with a deft hand.

    It really is a fragrance that gets better the longer it's on your skin. I wear it even in the summer months, here and there, but do so with light sprays. The Fraicheur rendition is awesome for this time of year.

    I have never personally smelled it on a woman, but cannot see why it wouldn't work on a female since I wear some scents that are marketed to woman and pull them off no problem.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    Smells like a pile of elephant feces made out with a gorillas armpit.



























    lol J/K.. it's not all that bad, but the top notes are not my cup of tea.

  35. #35
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,932

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I used to wear it and love it. Then I stop wearing it. Then I realized that I dont like how it smells in other people but I do when its on me (LOL).
    Back in 1990 my at the time girlfriend used to go wild when I wore it... too wild all the time. Kouros is a titan no doubt of it, what a great fragrance , pure genus BUT... one must go very easy on the trigger and use it at the right time and in the right place.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Kouros: Yes or No and why?

    I would say no. It doesn't smell nice as a perfume. When I compare it to some of my favourites its very average, distinctive yes but very average.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Similar Threads

  1. What is the Main Difference between Kouros & Body Kouros
    By fkc_nner in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th September 2012, 08:06 PM
  2. Hey you, KOUROS lovers, do you enjoy BODY KOUROS?
    By easyfish in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 15th April 2010, 05:42 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28th January 2010, 08:15 AM
  4. M7, Kouros, Body Kouros, Xeryus Rouge
    By vonMises in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 7th December 2009, 06:28 PM
  5. Kouros, Body Kouros, Kouros Cologne Sport
    By walkman586 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th February 2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •