Code of Conduct

Default Do Aftershave Splashes/Sprays come close to the EDT ?

Hey guys,

I have never before been interested in aftershave splashes. I like longevity and projection ( to a reasonable extent, of course). But sometimes, an aftershave is priced very reasonably, is available conveniently, or the only alternative ( because the original is not available).

So, what I would like to know it your experience with a fragrances aftershave. Do the notes come out the same way. Is it generally the same smell, just more brisk in the longevity department ? Totally different ? A wasted effort ?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Surfacing

PS : I am really sick with the flu What a way to enjoy the weekend.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: Do Aftershave Splashes/Sprays come close to the EDT ?

Frangrance is dialed back because

- a lot of it is going on your face
    - higher alchohol content

AS balms on the other hand matched to fragrance are usually pretty good and help extend the scent.

The AS is cheaper for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

AS balms on the other hand matched to fragrance are usually pretty good and help extend the scent.

That helps alot, thanks Stylin !

With regards to the balms, I actually thought the smell of the fragrance would be even worse ! Shows what I know.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The balm scent matched to EdT may technically be a wee bit different to someone with a good nose; it's a different "delivery" system. But it's so close, it helps extend the scent.

The GIT balm from Creed is amazing with a price to match. A totally opulent product.

Some of the AS strengths may vary. I have a friend who used the Obsession AS and people gave him grief because it was so strong and pronounced and all over his face. But I believe the AS splahes are much more fleeting overall. No legs.

I'm not a fan of the typical alcohol laden after shave splashes, scented or not. Prefer unscented Witch Hazel followed by Trumpers Skin Food (which is magnificent).

I've dabbled with some balms matched to scent, but that gets too pricey too fast.

I have the Cool Water aftershave balm.
    It doesn't come close to the EDT.

When I applied it, it gave me a humongous rash. It burned and there were red spots all over my throat. I quickly washed it off, and applied some of this:

It's great stuff. Since then I haven't tried other aftershave products.

The balm scent matched to EdT may technically be a wee bit different to someone with a good nose; it's a different "delivery" system. But it's so close, it helps extend the scent.

The GIT balm from Creed is amazing with a price to match. A totally opulent product.

Some of the AS strengths may vary. I have a friend who used the Obsession AS and people gave him grief because it was so strong and pronounced and all over his face. But I believe the AS splahes are much more fleeting overall. No legs.

I'm not a fan of the typical alcohol laden after shave splashes, scented or not. Prefer unscented Witch Hazel followed by Trumpers Skin Food (which is magnificent).

I've dabbled with some balms matched to scent, but that gets too pricey too fast.
    Off topic, Witch Hazel is fantastic. Good call. Especially if one has "skin issues". And it is not pricey.

More on topic, thanks for the solid response. If an aftershave balm is too strong, perhaps applying on the chest or arms would be better than the face. I know that sounds silly, but I don't want olfactory fatique. Nor, do I want to turn off people around me. I'm curious about several ( Antaeus, Ricci Club, Tenere...if available, ...etc).

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I have the Cool Water aftershave balm.
    It doesn't come close to the EDT.

When I applied it, it gave me a humongous rash. It burned and there were red spots all over my throat...
    Yeoch !

More HERE
    Please PM me !

IMO no comparison. Extremely weak.

AS Balms tend either to weaken with time or to go off faster than fragrance, in my experience.
    Griff

green irish tweed the best aftershave i have tried ever

Think of an aftershave splash more as an eau de cologne in terms of its strength.
    In that regard, you can expect perhaps up to 2 hours from it, and to reapply repeatedly.
    I find aftershaves of my heavier scents a pleasure to wear in summer: perhaps when you crave your hard-hitters, but the climate tells you to be less heavy-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    green irish tweed the best aftershave i have tried ever
    But I presume you're talking about the balm- not a splash on.

My experience is pretty mixed. I have Kouros Aftershave lotion (ie splash). Its definitely lighter and toned down as its going straight on the face but I find it just right. Its actually pretty good at clearing up any razor burn etc. Normally you'd expect a balm to be best for that and that a splash would sting like crazy because of the alcohol. But i actually prefer it over a balm.

On the other hand I have Paco Rabbane Pour Homme aftershave splash (its so cheap here in Britain its ridiculous). Sadly this is not so great. The fragrance strength is reduced far too much and actually seems slightly different. Its too alcoholic for my tastes. It unfortunately masks the smell of the EdT which should not be the case. All the add-ons whether they be shower gels, aftershave etc should extend the life of a fragrance. In the case of Eau Sauvage this is a great help as it has very poor longevity.

Sadly there is usually no way of testing the aftershave splashs/lotions but often they are fairly inexpensive online so its probably worth taking a chance on your favourite fragrances.

I would never buy an aftershave splash to have on its own though. I would always only have it in my collection to compliment the EdT.

Agreed. The point is layering the fragrance with a whole range of matching products (Cologne, A/S, Deordorant). Unfortunately, too few fragrances have a good supporting range. (A pet peeve of mine)

Aftershave splashes and balms vary a lot.
    I did some testing on them 9 years ago, and wrote the following articles which demonstrated the big differences among common designer scents back then.
    Some were definitely at cologne strength, some wouldn't have rated as half decent body sprays.

http://www.basenotes.net/articles/lotion.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/articles/balmendurance.html

The ones which I list as being weak, are definitely not worth paying good money for, as one can achieve better results much more cheaply with EDT mixed into fragrance neutral aftershave balms.

I tend to put on matching aftershave mainly when going out to some special event, usually at night.

Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 30th August 2010 at 04:32 PM.

well for me yes, I say this because I have about 6 different clubman pinaud aftershaves and they last a long time on me, even longer than some edp's .

special reserve is one and virgin island bayrum another as well as classic

I reaqlly like clubman classic since it has that babershop scent I love and will last all day no matter where I apply it.

I´d say Kouros aftershave is strong enough to smash many EdTs