Code of Conduct

Default Perfume for babies/children

I recently had a baby and received a fragrance for 'mothers and babies' (says on the bottle) from a friend who shares my love of perfume. I think the idea is kind of cute but at the same time find it a bit weird. I mean, I can't imagine actually spraying my little one with perfume despite it being alcohol free. I don't see myself wearing it either because it smells of milk and powder. Nice, but not really my style :-)

Have you ever used such products on your babies/young children?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default Re: Perfume for babies/children

I know that Givenchy have some parfumes for babies/small kids,
    but I wouldn't dream of spraying such things on children.

It's only my opinion, of course, but I think babies and young children ( even when they smell like little wet puppies) smell perfect on their own. When a young person shows interest in smelling good like Mommy or Daddy is soon enough to let them try a spritz or two of the good stuff. But again, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others feel differently, or there wouldn't be a market for perfume for babies...
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

No chemical sprays on babies. Honestly, now. . .

I think that babies often smell (when they smell good)of their baby products :shampoo,lotion,powder, wipes,oil,creams,fresh clean diaper etc.
    Young children are growing and because of that often uncoordinated (why else were sippy cups invented ?)as body and brain adjust to new physical norms .Some people may be able to replace a bottle of fragrance at $100,$200,$300 +price points without batting an eyelash .Other people need to save to afford a expensive fragrance .
    As a child I was given my own toiletries for play-dress-up and personal grooming .My mother's things were off limits they were for "grown-up-ladies" not little girls .Mom had Imari ,Pearls and Lace,Tea rose,and possibly a few others.At that time we were living paycheck to paycheck on Dad's job for the Forest Service not very far from food stamps and welfare level.A breakage of a perfume would not be replaceable immediately if ever.
    Another thing to consider is a child's safety .Broken glass and small children do not mix! If the parent chooses to train their child in fragrance I believe it would be best if the scent were decanted into a small plastic atomizer.
    Generally though I think allowing the "child scents"-Disney ,hannah montana,---------fill in blank with latest toy/show/movie or inexpensive drugstore (body fantasies/axe) and introduce more "adult scents"as they grow up into tweens 8,10,12 and teens.

Yes Givenchy and also Guerlain had fragrances for babies, actually adults wore them. Quite gentle soft fragrance, I have sniffed them long ago.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    It's only my opinion, of course, but I think babies and young children ( even when they smell like little wet puppies) smell perfect on their own. When a young person shows interest in smelling good like Mommy or Daddy is soon enough to let them try a spritz or two of the good stuff. But again, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others feel differently, or there wouldn't be a market for perfume for babies...
    I agree completely with this. Babies smell wonderful on their own.

The scent I received is by L'Occitane. Suposedly it has some soothing properties that are good for baby skin.
    But I think I'll spray it onto his clothes in the wardrobe and maybe bedding. Smells nice but it's not going on my boy's skin.

How about Bulgari Petits et Mamans? It's an entire line not only perfume. To me they seem safe for babies. I wanted to buy a set for a friend who had a baby recently, but another friend thought it was a really weird idea. So I didn't, but I am still thnking about getting it for the next time I see the baby.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There is a line of Italian baby products that are excellent: Mustela. You can find them at Bluemercury and other places. The products have herbal scents. Musti Eau de Soin is alcohol free and delightful. I got it for my daughter when she was about 2 and she still has the bottle-- smells it for old times' sake.

It's not an issue of whether babies smell good on their own-- of course they do! Baby shampoos and lotions have scents as well-- and most of us are okay with using them, unless the child has sensitivities.

I used the Bulgari Petits et Mamans on my youngest when she was a baby. We had the alcohol free splash. After her bath I'd splash some on my hands, on my neck then give her a mini massage with it. She was premature and quite a small baby (under 5lbs). Massage and touch were a very big part of her baby hood- touch helps babies grow She loved it, would wriggle, coo and smile every time. She is 14 now and still has positive associations with that scent. I think it smells lovely, so soft and calming and enjoyed it myself. I was a hormonal mess and found it miraculous that it didn't make me feel ill.

I recall receiving the Givenchy children's scent, Tartine et Chocolat I think (pale blue label), in a set for a shower gift for my 22 year old. I did the same thing with her- just splashed a bit on my hands and massaged her with it. She was born in April and that summer was really hot- it became a lovely cooling post bath ritual that we both loved.

In my opinion true baby/children's colognes are so softly scented they are the equivalent of using baby lotion, baby oil or baby powder. Adding that both of my girls are tried and true perfumistas with an appreciation for lovely perfumes and we have a lot of fun sharing that hobby (addiction? lol)

There are many from the Tartine et Chocolat by Givenchy and most of them have a heavy powdery smell. They all are very light as well and very soft.

I have always been a fan of Le Petit Prince/The little prince Edt, there are 2 versions of it: the sans alcohol one and the version with alcohol. Both have basically the same scent, being the non alcohol one a bit "waxier" compared to the other.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    There are many from the Tartine et Chocolat by Givenchy and most of them have a heavy powdery smell. They all are very light as well and very soft.

I have always been a fan of Le Petit Prince/The little prince Edt, there are 2 versions of it: the sans alcohol one and the version with alcohol. Both have basically the same scent, being the non alcohol one a bit "waxier" compared to the other.

cheers
    Love the Petit Prince non alcohol version. My girls and I sniffed it but didn't have a little one to buy for

Basenotes Institution

I tested the babies' version of Le Labo 's Ambrette.It's milky opaque white in color and smells gentle,cuddly ,warm .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

No fragrances on babies to harsh for them but
    on children
    Tous Baby Tous
    Petits et Mamans

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Daly View Post
    I used the Bulgari Petits et Mamans on my youngest when she was a baby. We had the alcohol free splash. After her bath I'd splash some on my hands, on my neck then give her a mini massage with it. She was premature and quite a small baby (under 5lbs). Massage and touch were a very big part of her baby hood- touch helps babies grow She loved it, would wriggle, coo and smile every time.

In my opinion true baby/children's colognes are so softly scented they are the equivalent of using baby lotion, baby oil or baby powder. Adding that both of my girls are tried and true perfumistas with an appreciation for lovely perfumes and we have a lot of fun sharing that hobby (addiction? lol)
    That's lovely :-) glad your little one enjoyed the massage. I plan to start with it next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie Day View Post
    That's lovely :-) glad your little one enjoyed the massage. I plan to start with it next month.
    How old is your baby? Oh it's such a precious time...goes by so fast...

Adding that both my girls, even my wee one, are taller than me now! And they both have exceptional taste in perfume...

I agree that babies and puppies smell nice on their own, but L'Occitane did have a line of mother and baby scents and lotions. I think it included an eau de toilette.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I tested the babies' version of Le Labo 's Ambrette.It's milky opaque white in color and smells gentle,cuddly ,warm .
    This sounds sooo lovely

I was fortunate to have parents that were not afraid of using scents on me when i was boy and it was the time when all fragrances were alcohol or oil based and nobody we knew anywhere had allergies to a thing such as a scent.
    Nothing ever happened to me for using such scents when i was young, and i have fond,happy memories of their smell.
    I have only started to know of chemical and allergies (scent-related i mean) when people started suing others.

cheers

Love the Petit Prince non alcohol version. My girls and I sniffed it but didn't have a little one to buy for
    I love it too, i have and enjoy both versions!
    cheers

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I agree that babies and puppies smell nice on their own, but L'Occitane did have a line of mother and baby scents and lotions. I think it included an eau de toilette.
    Oh yes, it's a lovely EDT they have but very short lived - I guess no fixatives because it's for small ones. it's a beautiful scent though. I loved it.

This sounds sooo lovely
    Hi Jane - good to see you !
    Yes, Le Labo's is very nice .
    My poor son has tolerated Mama testing everything out on him ( though he's no longer a baby )

I'm in agreement about not using anything but water on a tiny baby's skin - not wipes, not body washes, nothing. Once they're bigger and you're putting things on them the good alcohol-free baby perfumes can be so lovely. They are absorbing all the information their senses can give them, so why not make sure they're getting some good smells?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I'm in agreement about not using anything but water on a tiny baby's skin - not wipes, not body washes, nothing. Once they're bigger and you're putting things on them the good alcohol-free baby perfumes can be so lovely. They are absorbing all the information their senses can give them, so why not make sure they're getting some good smells?
    I know some hospitals recommend new mothers not wear perfume for the first few weeks of an infant's life because of scent-bonding (or at least taking the infant home.) It's a personal choice, I guess, to wear or not to wear, or to use perfume on an infant.

Life is full of sensory experiences and an infant, perhaps, needs to be exposed to these. As a toddler, I loved perfumed and poured a bottle of my Mum's perfume on myself. The family disliked this and the subsequent hospital visit. LOL!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    My son had terrible eczema as a baby, so I only ever used water on his skin for the longest time and then later aqueous cream instead of soap . For diaper changes, cotton balls soaked in water were really sufficient . I don't like the scented baby wipes at all - they are unnecessary and probably irritate baby skin .