Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: FINALLY Tried Allure..

I actually like Allure, even though I don't own a bottle.

I never really cared for Allure - never even owned a bottle - but... I scratch my head sometimes when people say how generic things are or it's been done 1,000 times, etc. I've mentioned this before, but there's a certain context that is often missing when judging these releases that's akin to armchair quarterbacking.

While I certainly won't argue somebody's opinion of a certain fragrance, keep in mind that back in 1999, there weren't all these fragrances on the market. Niche truly meant "niche", and not just something with a price tag of over $200 (though what get's me laughing hard now-a-days is smelling a Niche fragrance that smells like a designer one from 20 years ago.... Cough cough Back to Black). Hell, you probably couldn't find more than a few fragrances that cost that much in the whole world 11 years ago.

Allure has been cloned to death by numerous other brands, so if anything, the old saying about imitation is the greatest form of flattery holds some merit. So, 11 years later, it's understandably "generic", but one shouldn't necessarily dismiss it simply as such just because every other Tom, Dick, and Harry went out of their way to devise some slightly tweaked version.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

I absolutely hate this stuff. I sprayed some on at macys once and couldn't wait to get home and wash it off. Somebody mentioned "milky creaminess" earlier and they couldn't have said it better. Very cloying and annoying, makes me want to barf.

i love chanel allure
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

I think it's a very high-quality scent. One of those scents that leave a 'mystifying' trail. I thought it was WAY TOO sweet and cloying for me in the drydown. A good scent, but far too sweet for my skin. Makes me thirsty!

I don't find Allure particularly sappy compared to the vast majority of Oriental fragrances on the market nowadays.

If anything it's the strong cedar notes that make it a bit too sharp for everyday use.

Allure Homme is still a very fine formal/romantic fragrance in my book.

People always say allure is generic, but exactly what designer fragrances remind you guys so much of allure?

- - - Updated - - -

People always say allure is generic, but exactly what designer fragrances remind you guys so much of allure?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Oh such drama...Allure was a great fragrance and many men liked it. I believe sales were good too. Original Egoiste and Anteus didn´t do so well I believe
    Even though I really like Allure, Egoiste and Antaeus are far superior frags from all the angles.

Allure Homme likes me. It’s one of the few fragrances I wear on my skin.

When editing a digital photograph, there comes a point when the color balance is perfected to the point that the image jumps to another, optimum, dimension. That’s Allure when it mixes with my chemistry. It shines, lasts, it lives.